• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Basketball Coaching Carousel (Matta out at Ohio State)

According to the Indiana Star and IU websites, Indiana will make long shot inquiries to:

- Brad Stevens
- Billy Donovan
- Fred Hoiberg

But don't expect any to bite (have no problem with any school doing due diligence to make sure that they don't miss out on a home run hire).

They will also sniff around Sean Miller and Tony Bennett (Bennett was considered when Crean got the job previously). Again, not expecting to land either.

If the long shots fail, the focus will fall on Alford, Archie Miller and Gregg Marshall. Doug Gottlieb has already tweeted that Alford is the rumored replacement. If Alford decides that he doesn't want to leave SoCal for Indiana, Indiana has the money and the cache to land either Archie or Marshall.

My guess is that Alford takes the job. He doesn't stay anywhere for very long, and his stock is high right now, but he was in trouble at UCLA not long ago, and he will be in trouble again if UCLA stumbles next year.

Stupid process. If Marshall is the 8th choice no damn way he takes the job. Make him #1. He's better than Hoiberg, Alford, and Archie and comparable to Bennett. Sean, Stevens, and Donovan are probably a notch above, but highly infeasible.

Ok know I am.

I am actually a LaVar fan, he cracks me up. Says audacious things every time he opens his mouth. Charges $60 for t-shirts and ruthlessly mocks anyone who questions the price. Throws out ridiculous terms of negotiation. I love absurd people. I just know he is awful to actually deal with, but Lonzo and LaMelo might be good enough for the inconveniences he brings.

Hoiberg is an interesting case. Don't know if he survives this year, but I don't get strong vibes that he likes the NBA. Problem is a school would have to wait out the NBA season, probably.

Indiana, what have you done for me lately. Brought them back from a bzzz level disaster but now, seeya later.

Might Archie consider IU over NCState?

NCSU people were always worried about OSU and IU if they became available. He's a Midwest guy more than a ACC country guy with his recruiting ties. Won't hate it at all if NCSU ends up with Keatts.

State should make a call to Crean before wrapping things up.

Do not want Keatts at State, I think he'd kill it there

Much better in game coach than Danny

According to the Indiana Star and IU websites, Indiana will make long shot inquiries to:

- Brad Stevens
- Billy Donovan
- Fred Hoiberg

But don't expect any to bite (have no problem with any school doing due diligence to make sure that they don't miss out on a home run hire).

They will also sniff around Sean Miller and Tony Bennett (Bennett was considered when Crean got the job previously). Again, not expecting to land either.

If the long shots fail, the focus will fall on Alford, Archie Miller and Gregg Marshall. Doug Gottlieb has already tweeted that Alford is the rumored replacement. If Alford decides that he doesn't want to leave SoCal for Indiana, Indiana has the money and the cache to land either Archie or Marshall.

My guess is that Alford takes the job. He doesn't stay anywhere for very long, and his stock is high right now, but he was in trouble at UCLA not long ago, and he will be in trouble again if UCLA stumbles next year.

Do you think IU would pay Marshall $4.5M+? he's making about $3.3M with bonuses at Wichita and has a job for life.

Do you think IU would pay Marshall $4.5M+? he's making about $3.3M with bonuses at Wichita and has a job for life.

Yes. They bid against no one to pay Tom Crean $3.2M per year. They are willing to pay.

At this point, I don't think it's even about salary for him anyway. Alabama met his salary demands yet he signed an extension at Wichita State. I think the question for him is if the job is a big enough upgrade in terms of ability to win to offset uprooting his family.

Indiana should call this guy!

0.jpg

I'd be surprised if Mark Turgeon's seat doesn't get slightly warm if they lose tonight. I don't think this is quite what their fan base is going to be content with, and they have the chance to take over the big ten with the conference being down right now.

I grew up in Indiana so have a ton of friends who are Hoosier fans. They will universally be furious if IU hires Alford. They want Stevens, and after he says no, they want a young up and comer that has the chance to be a homerun, not another retread. Alford will hang around the middle of the Big Ten with occasional years at the top. They had that with Crean. They want someone that has the chance to dominate.

Illinois is at best an equal to the NCSU job. Good luck to them in their coaching search.

Only if the coach considering the jobs is from the southeast. Illinois is the top job in its state and the right coach could make a living recruiting Chicago. State is third in its metro area.

Back