• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Basketball Coaching Carousel (Matta out at Ohio State)

I grew up in Indiana so have a ton of friends who are Hoosier fans. They will universally be furious if IU hires Alford. They want Stevens, and after he says no, they want a young up and comer that has the chance to be a homerun, not another retread. Alford will hang around the middle of the Big Ten with occasional years at the top. They had that with Crean. They want someone that has the chance to dominate.
Sounds like the NC state of the big ten!

Only if the coach considering the jobs is from the southeast. Illinois is the top job in its state and the right coach could make a living recruiting Chicago. State is third in its metro area.

That's one way to look at it. The other end of the spectrum is that NCSU is in the best basketball conference in the country, in the state that produces an insane number of quality basketball players. And that's before you get to the history of NCSU or the facilities. We'll see how it goes. And lets not act like every player in Chicago grows up dreaming to go to Illinois. We'll see how it ends up.

It's getting to the point where even recruits' parents won't even remember 1983. Wouldn't hang my hat on that history much longer.

Only if the coach considering the jobs is from the southeast. Illinois is the top job in its state and the right coach could make a living recruiting Chicago. State is third in its metro area.

Illinois is like Maryland in that they have a fertile recruiting ground nearby where absolutely none of the kids there want to come to their school

Why isn't Indiana trying to poach Mike Brey from Notre Dame? He's older, but he could bring them back to prominence and retire in 15 years.
He makes less than 1mill at Notre Dame, he will always be second fiddle to Football, and his ceiling at Notre Dame is fighting Virginia for 4th best team in the ACC.

Last edited:
They should be trying to poach Brey.

Why isn't Indiana trying to poach Mike Brey from Notre Dame? He's older, but he could bring them back to prominence and retire in 15 years.
He makes less than 1mill at Notre Dame, he will always be second fiddle to Football, and his ceiling at Notre Dame is fighting Virginia for 4th best team in the ACC.

I think it's a mistake to look at a coach's current salary and assume that that represents the most a school will spend. It's what Illinois fans are doing with Bennett. Just because Virginia is only paying him 2.1 doesn't mean they aren't willing and able to match anything Illinois can offer.

Brey's last extension was in 2012 (for ten years) when he still hadn't made the second weekend, and I don't believe he was being offered bigger jobs at that point. No reason to pay more than they had to.

People say that, but what does it actually mean? State isn't lacking in fan support or recruiting ability.

As far as I am concerned, Maryland, State, and Illinois are pretty much all the same caliber of job. A Midwest coach might prefer Illinois but, all else equal, they seem to be pretty damn close.

2017 College Basketball Coaching Carousel (Crean out at Indiana)

The Chicago thing is overblown. Purdue, Madison, Notre Dame, and Marquette are just as close. Indiana, Michigan, and Michigan State are only an hour and a half further. And of course Northwestern is right there and is coached by a guy that pulled a lot of Chicago talent to Duke.

I fully admit that I have not spent time in Chicago so maybe I am missing something. But common sense tells me that Chicago is probably the largest or second largest base of alums for half of the Big Ten and a bunch of other major schools and that Illinois has not had enough recent success to attract t-shirt fans in a pro sports market. So I don't see how 'the right coach' at any one of those other schools couldn't stop any coach at Illinois from 'making a living off Chicago'.

Hell, the best player in recent program history was from Dallas. Since then, Derrick Rose, Anthony Davis, Jabari Parker, Okafor, and Evan Turner have all gone to different schools.

Last edited:

They should be trying to poach Brey.

Unless you are talking about for the ivory, who is a better candidate to replace Ratface than Brey? Chris Collins cutting his way through pudgy-soft Big 10 and having a Vandy kid hand him a second round berth isn't much of a long-term plan.

Y'all need to put NC State on an island. No one is going to want that job under Yow. And even if they do, they know they get a new AD soon which is a huge unknown. Then add a completely delusional fan base that gives zero honeymoon and your life sucks from day one. I guess there may be enough money to do it, but I'd take a million less to avoid the hell hole this job is. Tiers.

Last edited:
I think NC State is going to hire Keatts. No particular inside info.

I find it funny how NC State fans think they have comparable history to Indiana. There is a difference in IU missing a couple of tournaments than NC State doing so. It is actually quite hilarious how pack pride is taking how the media is handling the creen fire.

They better lock up Keats quick, they don't have a shot at anyone else they are "considering"

I find it funny how NC State fans think they have comparable history to Indiana. There is a difference in IU missing a couple of tournaments than NC State doing so. It is actually quite hilarious how pack pride is taking how the media is handling the creen fire.

They better lock up Keats quick, they don't have a shot at anyone else they are "considering"

I don't think they are comparable historically...I'll give you that. But State does have an impressive history, if not a recent impressive one. And State is in the best conference in the country. I don't think it is completely in left field to think the State job is as good as the Indiana job these days. The game has changed and the history of the program isn't going to carry it anymore. State, with the right coach, should be the 4th or 5th best job in the ACC. Does that sound right? Duke, UNC, Louisville...State? Historically speaking it has to be in the Top 5 of the league (the 4 plus Syracuse), right? So the question becomes do you want to coach at the 4th or 5th best program in the ACC or at a once storied program in a weaker league? In football terms, which is a better job today...Georgia or Nebraska? I think I'd lean towards Georgia, but no one would ever claim that Georgia's history comes close to Nebraska's.

I don't think they are comparable historically...I'll give you that. But State does have an impressive history, if not a recent impressive one. And State is in the best conference in the country. I don't think it is completely in left field to think the State job is as good as the Indiana job these days. The game has changed and the history of the program isn't going to carry it anymore. State, with the right coach, should be the 4th or 5th best job in the ACC. Does that sound right? Duke, UNC, Louisville...State? Historically speaking it has to be in the Top 5 of the league (the 4 plus Syracuse), right? So the question becomes do you want to coach at the 4th or 5th best program in the ACC or at a once storied program in a weaker league? In football terms, which is a better job today...Georgia or Nebraska? I think I'd lean towards Georgia, but no one would ever claim that Georgia's history comes close to Nebraska's.

It is true that State is in the best conference in the country, but so are Wake, Clemson, Boston College, Pitt, Miami, Ga Tech, etc. . As pointed out above, the status of the AD is a problem. I also think the proximity to UNC and Duke is a negative for a lot of coaches. Any coach knows they are going to be compared to the two most successful programs of the last 25 years. Thats a tough task to take on. State fans are not going to be satisfied with 6-7 NCAA appearances and a sweet 16 or three every decade, but there are a ton of schools that are willing to pay very well that will be satisfied with that. Every coach will say they want the challenge, but in reality there are many jobs that are safer. I think the challenge probably scares quite a few away.

Unless you are talking about for the ivory, who is a better candidate to replace Ratface than Brey? Chris Collins cutting his way through pudgy-soft Big 10 and having a Vandy kid hand him a second round berth isn't much of a long-term plan.

i have a feeling that k will handpick one of the younger dookies to succeed him

and that the heels will end up with hubert (unless Billy D is fired from OKC when the UNC job opens up)

It is true that State is in the best conference in the country, but so are Wake, Clemson, Boston College, Pitt, Miami, Ga Tech, etc. . As pointed out above, the status of the AD is a problem. I also think the proximity to UNC and Duke is a negative for a lot of coaches. Any coach knows they are going to be compared to the two most successful programs of the last 25 years. Thats a tough task to take on. State fans are not going to be satisfied with 6-7 NCAA appearances and a sweet 16 or three every decade, but there are a ton of schools that are willing to pay very well that will be satisfied with that. Every coach will say they want the challenge, but in reality there are many jobs that are safer. I think the challenge probably scares quite a few away.

A good coach would be out of their mind to take the State job. Two of the last three coaches they've run off will likely have better resumes than the person they get to replace Gott-fired. This isn't 1992. You can make real money coaching with reasonable expectations of a mid major. You don't have to put up with State's basketball identity dysmorphia.

Back