• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Basketball Coaching Carousel (Matta out at Ohio State)

So AAU and high school coaches and coaches who happen to have relatives who are good at sports can't move up the ladder?

Shady? Sure. But how much should the NCAA regulate coaching hires? Should Randolph have been forced to step away from coaching under Brandon finished school?

They shouldn't be able to use their children to move up the ladder. They should move up the ladder based on their own merit. There are 350 other division 1 programs Brandon Childress could attend. 350 other division 1 programs where Randolph Childress could coach.

So AAU and high school coaches and coaches who happen to have relatives who are good at sports can't move up the ladder?

Shady? Sure. But how much should the NCAA regulate coaching hires? Should Randolph have been forced to step away from coaching under Brandon finished school?

That's not what I'm saying. I'm sure that Michael Porter Sr., if qualified, could get a job coaching in college basketball. If he's good enough to be a P5 assistant coach, then he's good enough to be a P5 assistant coach at a school that isn't actively recruiting his son. The same goes for Michael Beasley's AAU coach among other examples.

I'm sure his friendship with Lorenzo Romar mattered, but he was hired as an assistant when Porter, Jr. was a junior in high school. It becomes a conflict of interest when it's done in this manner. Porter, Jr. committed in July, 2016.

There is such a big difference between the case of Randolph Childress and Michael Porter, Sr. For one, Childress is an alumnus of the university who happens to be one of the best players to ever play here. He was hired back in 2012. Brandon was 14 at the time. Michael Porter, Sr. played at the University of New Orleans and was hired, in part, because his son was a top-ranked recruit.

I don't see how discouraging this practice limits the opportunities for qualified coaches, but I'm open to your opinion on it.

They shouldn't be able to use their children to move up the ladder. They should move up the ladder based on their own merit. There are 350 other division 1 programs Brandon Childress could attend. 350 other division 1 programs where Randolph Childress could coach.

Or Danny Manning, his father, and Kansas.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm sure that Michael Porter Sr., if qualified, could get a job coaching in college basketball. If he's good enough to be a P5 assistant coach, then he's good enough to be a P5 assistant coach at a school that isn't actively recruiting his son. The same goes for Michael Beasley's AAU coach among other examples.

I'm sure his friendship with Lorenzo Romar mattered, but he was hired as an assistant when Porter, Jr. was a junior in high school. It becomes a conflict of interest when it's done in this manner. Porter, Jr. committed in July, 2016.

There is such a big difference between the case of Randolph Childress and Michael Porter, Sr. For one, Childress is an alumnus of the university who happens to be one of the best players to ever play here. He was hired back in 2012. Brandon was 14 at the time. Michael Porter, Sr. played at the University of New Orleans and was hired, in part, because his son was a top-ranked recruit.

I don't see how discouraging this practice limits the opportunities for qualified coaches, but I'm open to your opinion on it.

So you've identified the problem. I agree with that. What is your new rule and how is it enforced?

Reading the Illinois board... they legitimately think that they are a vastly better program than NCSU or Missouri.

They certainly have had more success over the last 20 years, but that hasn't stopped them from firing their last two coaches. And, looking at the stature at the date of hire for their last four coaches...Kruger was basically Gottfried (SEC retread), Self was a good hire but not an amazing pull at that point*, and Weber and Groce were both reaches.

They obviously haven't done anything as stupid as hire Kim Anderson, Frank Haith, or Sidney Lowe, but Mike Anderson probably had a better resume at the date of hire than any of the guys they did hire (rebuilt UAB, went to the NCAAT 3 out of 4 years, and went to a Sweet 16), or at least in the same league as Self's.

Essentially, it's all down to Self. They haven't advanced to the second weekend of the tournament without him on the sidelines or his talent on the court since 1990.

*By this, I mean not comparable to Brad Stevens circa 2010, Shaka Smart circa 2012, or Gregg Marshall circa 2013. He inherited a strong program, had two years that were in-line with those of his predecessors, and had one really good year that coincided with his conference falling apart.

Last edited:
Illinois is at best an equal to the NCSU job. Good luck to them in their coaching search.

So you've identified the problem. I agree with that. What is your new rule and how is it enforced?

if you are a coach and your child wants to play for you then that is probably ok.

if you are a parent/coach and you are hired while your child/player is a recruit that is probably a red flag.

maybe something like a player/recruit can't be recruited by a school that hires parent/coach during jr/sr year?

The initial "Archie would never go there" backlash has run it's course and it has picked up a little more steam in the past few days that he actually is interested for whatever reason. We will see. The talk on Keatts is that he is just going to crush it in recruiting if he gets a major job in the ACC. Ton of connections and knows everyone. Would make Gott's recruiting look pedestrian is what people are saying. This coaching cycle is going to see a ton of money flying around that's going to make it really interesting.

I know all the State fans want Archie, but I'd take a long look at Keatts and Wade before signing Archie up. For some reason, I'm not sure he is going to be all that if he goes to State.

Archie to Indiana makes perfect sense. So does Keatts to State.

Keatts might be the real deal. His overall record of course being much more impressive than reacting to a few games in March like everyone always does.

Archie to Indiana makes perfect sense. So does Keatts to State.

Last weekend the Raleigh News & Observer pitched Keatts as the logical choice.

He has won everywhere he has gone, as an assistant at Louisville and at Hargrave Military Academy and in three seasons at UNCW, where he’s 69-27 and a two-time conference coach of the year. He’s a proven recruiter not only with deep connections within the state of North Carolina but with a record of attracting top national talent. This season, he’s coaching an empirically better team than N.C. State turned out to be.

And Keatts is young, only 44. While the old chestnut about outlasting Roy Williams and Mike Krzyzewski gets tossed around willy-nilly – the same thing was said during the last search, and they’re still around and Mark Gottfried is not – there is still some value to getting a guy who could be at N.C. State for the long haul.

In a year – in a month, if the Seahawks make a run in the NCAA tournament – Keatts may be as hot a name as any of the others on the list. Keatts may not be the first call N.C. State makes, just the one that ends up making the most sense.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article136029078.html

According to the Indiana Star and IU websites, Indiana will make long shot inquiries to:

- Brad Stevens
- Billy Donovan
- Fred Hoiberg

But don't expect any to bite (have no problem with any school doing due diligence to make sure that they don't miss out on a home run hire).

They will also sniff around Sean Miller and Tony Bennett (Bennett was considered when Crean got the job previously). Again, not expecting to land either.

If the long shots fail, the focus will fall on Alford, Archie Miller and Gregg Marshall. Doug Gottlieb has already tweeted that Alford is the rumored replacement. If Alford decides that he doesn't want to leave SoCal for Indiana, Indiana has the money and the cache to land either Archie or Marshall.

My guess is that Alford takes the job. He doesn't stay anywhere for very long, and his stock is high right now, but he was in trouble at UCLA not long ago, and he will be in trouble again if UCLA stumbles next year.

Last edited:
Back