• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Just got a crystall ball for Raheem Layne. Was committed to Minn but looks like hes gonna flip.

There's your outside receiver you've been looking for, 94.

I'm guessing this minimizes our chances of getting WAYdale?

I hope not. There is plenty of PT for receivers who can create separation or make plays. They also need to be rotated in and out. Waydale will see the opportunity if he watches any film on us.

We need OLs. Just two deep this spring and going into the season. Only 2*s coming in.

Speaking of OL. Demetris Harris tweeted out last night about his visit this weekend. Hopefully we can get him to pull the trigger.

I don’t think there is any reason to fear if you are a member of Team Waydale (acknowledgement to scotttyson62 for coining the term earlier in this thread), reading the tea leaves I think Wake is set to take another WR. The Surratt commitment has seemed inevitable for some time and yet the staff sent out not one but two new WR offers. Plus, Coach Higgins made the trip to Beeville, TX yesterday. He had to know before he left that Wake had Surratt. So I think its full speed ahead for Team Waydale (by the way, I count myself as a full-fledged member).

Let’s reset for the rest of the 2017 class. The unofficial scholarship count now sits at 81 for 2017. I feel confident that I’m close to the staff’s count, but may be a bit heavy. We know that the staff would like to carry over two scholarships. So let’s put the projection at 3 commits to close out the class (increase that to 4 if Wake lands Demetris Harris). Here are the remaining offers** still on the board:

WRs

Waydale Jones – Wake Forest 1/20. I think that UNC is done at WR so chances are high that he will switch his 1/27 visit to Vanderbilt. But if you are Team Waydale then you are hoping that the Vandy visit won’t be necessary!

Davontavean Martin –Visited Toledo this weekend. Last thing that I heard is that he will be at Wazzu on 1/20 and ECU on 1/27.

CBs

Raheem Layne** (Minnesota commit) – Visiting Wake on 1/20 weekend. I realize that people were drawing a connection between Sawvel and Wake’s interest in Layne, but Layne has been actively entertaining other opportunities since Fleck was hired. He visited Indiana last weekend after receiving an offer from them in December. Over the past month he has also received offers from Iowa, Vanderbilt, Purdue and Tulane. He was also in contact with ECU and FIU.

Ja’Sir Taylor (Temple commit) – Visited Wake Forest on 1/13 weekend.

OL

Demetris Harris (former GT commit) – Visiting Wake Forest on 1/20. Visited USF last weekend and has UCF scheduled on 1/27.

SAFETY

Avery Showell – Visited Wake Forest on 1/13 weekend.

Reed Blankenship (MTSU commit)

ETA: **I realized after I posted this that I'm not sure that Layne has an offer. The news yesterday was that he would visit.

A couple of thoughts on Surratt. I’m happy with the commitment. I’m obviously impressed with the reports about his intelligence and work ethic. His highlights show elite ball skills, especially how he can adjust his body to make a catch. Really good hands. Plus, once he focuses solely on football you would expect that he can improve further in all areas. The lead guy at InsideCarolina does an intensive process each summer to create his own ranking of recruits in North Carolina and he put Surratt as the #11 recruit in the state. But realize that there are naysayers. There are rumors that his combine numbers aren’t good. Some think that he exploited small school competition with physical advantages that he won’t have at the next level. He’s tall – but not that tall. He may only have a height advantage of two inches (or less) against today’s corners. So he’s going to have to work to find ways to create separation. Work to become a precise route runner. Work to become bigger, faster and more explosive. Obviously Wake is a believer and this seems like a terrific kid. Let the naysayers provide the motivation. Should be fun to watch.

A quick note on what we have to look forward to with Sawvel: apparently he told Raheem Layne during his visit to Minnesota “don’t come here unless you want to play in the NFL”

Last edited:
A quick note on what we have to look forward to with Sawvel: apparently he told Raheem Layne during his visit to Minnesota “don’t come here unless you want to play in the NFL”

Interested to see if that message changes (or is repackaged) when he starts recruiting kids to MSD under Clawson's watch.

His record of coaching picks in three straight drafts comes to Wake with him.

We have 10 OLs heading into the spring, and 2*s in the incoming class. Do you think Clawson will hold those two schollys for Grad transfer OLs? We're a sprained ankle or two, away from a nightmare on the OL.

Did Clawson say that he wanted to save two ships for next year or is this an assumption based upon the unbalanced classes?

Did Clawson say that he wanted to save two ships for next year or is this an assumption based upon the unbalanced classes?

Clawson said it. But also said they will use them on this class if the right opportunities are there. I'm speculating that Demetris Harris is a candidate to take one of those away.

The objective is to balance the classes. The ability to take post-grads is just a byproduct of that.

New 2017 offer out to TE John Samuel Shenker. Originally committed to Auburn for baseball. Had a breakout camp performance at Sound Mind Sound Body in Atlanta last summer, and then a big senior season at Colquitt County (same HS as Sihiem King that Wake recruited two years ago). Offer sheet is limited in part because most schools filled their TE spot (there's usually only one TE in each class) before the season.

Did Shenker switch his interest to football after this season?

Any idea what Avery Showell's list and/or visit schedule looks like? It looks like he should be familiar with Sawvel from MN's recruitment of him.

94 - do you know if anyone is coming the 27th? I thought the conventional wisdom is that you want to have your top target's last visit.

New 2017 offer out to TE John Samuel Shenker. Originally committed to Auburn for baseball. Had a breakout camp performance at Sound Mind Sound Body in Atlanta last summer, and then a big senior season at Colquitt County (same HS as Sihiem King that Wake recruited two years ago). Offer sheet is limited in part because most schools filled their TE spot (there's usually only one TE in each class) before the season.

Sounds like a kid that can play two sports in college. This has worked at WF in the past.

Back