• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Just two tweets from Taylor saying he was thankful to have received an offer from Mizzou and Western Michigan.

It's for recognition and bragging rights for all the hard work they put in likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that Mizzou had a QB commit flip to Minnesota a few days ago. Powell must be their next guy on the list. Unless he has some sort of connection to Mizzou that we don't know about, I feel like we may be OK...but stranger this have obviously happened.

Side note, Mizzou as a whole (football and school) seems to be a pretty big mess right now. Definitely completely different than Wake and seems to be trending down in all facets...

We seem to be recruiting well at every position, except OL. That could be a problem. All of our prospects this year look like big project types. Doesn't feel good. I like getting guys like Suhren, Nash, Gilliam, and Herron. Guys that need a little bit of work but will be able to contribute within a year or two

Guess nobody wants to play "catch and shove".

I believe that Mizzou had a QB commit flip to Minnesota a few days ago. Powell must be their next guy on the list. Unless he has some sort of connection to Mizzou that we don't know about, I feel like we may be OK...but stranger this have obviously happened.

Side note, Mizzou as a whole (football and school) seems to be a pretty big mess right now. Definitely completely different than Wake and seems to be trending down in all facets...
He's from Arkansas. Right next door.

It's for recognition and bragging rights for all the hard work they put in likely.

Yeah. It's like a married guy bragging about a girl hitting on him.

Yeah. It's like a married guy bragging about a girl hitting on him.

Actually better analogy would be an engaged guy...

Right now everything is just verbal promises up until signing day. In theory either party is free to walk away.

I have no inside info, but I feel Taylor Powell will stay solid on his pledge to wake. Seems very pro wake on Twitter. I would change my mind if I see he is taking an official next weekend.

TAYLOR POWELL

Taylor Powell visited Mizzou in April but did not get an offer. At the time, the thinking was that Powell would have chosen Mizzou (or another SEC school with the possible exception of Vanderbilt) if they had offered. Schools like Alabama and Texas A&M also flirted with Powell before ultimately not offering.

As noted earlier in the thread, Mizzou’s offer to Powell followed PJ Fleck’s flip of QB Rey Estes from Mizzou to Minnesota. Estes had previously flipped from Fleck at Western Michigan to Mizzou.

The Estes decommitment, plus the transfer of another QB, has left Mizzou with only three scholarship QBs. That put them in the position of having to try to poach a QB from another school. With the previous relationship with Powell, the offer makes sense from their standpoint. I view this offer as a very serious threat.

SEAN MAGINN

The commitment of Sean Maginn (North Gwinnett HS / Suwanee, GA) was a total surprise to me, but he looks like a nice player. The highlights are certainly good. He had an offer sheet that doesn’t look all that different from Demetris Harris’. Maginn had 0 P5 offers and 17 non-P5 offers. Harris had 1 other P5 offer (Georgia Tech) and 18 non-P5 offers. Maginn has good measurables for an OG prospect (6’3 / 260). He tested well at his Nike combine last spring (5.17 40, 4.72 shuttle and a 30-inch vertical). He also has a good GPA, played a high-level of competition in high school (AAAAAAA in Georgia), and competes on the wrestling team (Wake likes recruits that play multiple sports).

Maginn received his offer yesterday and apparently committed on the spot. My guess is that the staff would have taken Harris if he would have committed during his visit, but wasn’t willing to wait until at or near signing day for him to make a decision. App State was also trying to flip Maginn (at least they were in December when they brought him in for an official visit), so that might have also been a factor in making this move now versus waiting another week.

TRE NORWOOD

I would have liked to know what would have happened with Tre Norwood’s recruitment if Mike Elko hadn’t given him a Notre Dame offer. Would Wake have been able to flip him from his Louisville commitment after the change in DC’s at Louisville? Wake has been recruiting Norwood for a long time, and Powell had told an interviewer recently that he had been working on Norwood to come to Wake. It’s also interesting that Louisville isn’t one of the finalists for Norwood. Obviously, we won’t know the answer to the question of what would have happened if Elko hadn’t offered. But we do know that the Notre Dame offer prompted several other top tier programs to take a look at Norwood that might not have otherwise.

The timeline on Norwood was:
January 11 – Louisville DC change
January 11 – Notre Dame offers
January 12 – Decommits from Louisville
January 13/14 – Official visit to Wake Forest
January 15 – Oklahoma and Oklahoma State offer
January 16 – Tennessee offers

I plan to invest time this week to see how Norwood’s recruitment is developing, especially what spots Elko has left to fill at ND. I’m not ready to count Wake out just yet. Wake has been recruiting him since last spring, he visited recently, and IIRC he wants to major in chemistry. The intended major tells me that he may be more academically focused.

REMAINING SPOTS

With at least two spots left to fill, the remaining recruits with Wake offers look like this:

WR
WAYDALE JONES (visited 1/20)

TE
JOHN SAMUEL SHENKER (no visit date reported)

DB
TRE NORWOOD (visited 1/13)
RAHEEM LAYNE (Minnesota commit, visited 1/20)
REED BLANKENSHIP (MTSU commit, no visit date reported)

However, a lot of Wake fans will have their eyes on committed recruits Taylor Powell and Jeffrey Burley between now and NSD.

Last edited:
Following his offer Powell followed 8 Mizzou commits on Twitter.

PJ Fleck screws us again.

Deac94, of all the questions regarding priority who do you see at the top? Although Sean committed, im hoping Demetri Harris picks Wake..

Deac94, of all the questions regarding priority who do you see at the top? Although Sean committed, im hoping Demetri Harris picks Wake..

Can't imagine another OL in this class. Now have 4 in a small class.

Priorities are probably Waydale and another DB. We will see if the staff wants another TE. That's not very clear.

Definitely Team WAYdale. One of the more impressive highlight tapes I've seen

I am excited about Sean Maginn. Love to have guys who want to be at WFU. Kids looks similar to Harris and jumped on our offer. Hope we pick up Waydale. Hate all the uncertainty, but I guess that is just the way things are now.

Guess nobody wants to play "catch and shove".

This an interesting comment and I hope someone can/will expand upon. Sounds like an informed opinion and infers our OL schemes/techniques may not be ones that talented OL high school players enjoy playing. Thus recruiting difficulties for us. Anyone have another reading?

Back