• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Bow wow wow yippy yo yippy yay...Tayvon Bower's in the mother fucking house

But here's a jimmy joke about your mama that you might not like...I heard she was the Frisco dyke.

There was certainly more hype about Hinton and Newman before they verballed.

Bowers was discussed already in this thread, sorry you missed it. 3500 yds, 42 touchdowns, and "near 4.0 gpa" per Deac94. But I was most excited because the staff identified and offered him in April and now has him signed in May. My impression is that this staff does a really good job of identifying QB talent, but they have struggled to sign some of that talent. In this case, Bowers was offered when the staff had an open offer out to Powell, so they must have been pretty impressed with Bowers.

Or maybe Powell and several others told them they weren't coming to Wake, that unfortunately seems more likely considering his offer list

I'll be honest, I love Elko and Clawson but am not impressed at all with Ruggerio so far.

I think our staff would wait to offer if they weren't sold on Bowers. Of course, the bigger problem is that we haven't seen evidence that this staff is a good judge of ACC level QB talent.

Bowers was discussed already in this thread, sorry you missed it. 3500 yds, 42 touchdowns, and "near 4.0 gpa" per Deac94. But I was most excited because the staff identified and offered him in April and now has him signed in May. My impression is that this staff does a really good job of identifying QB talent, but they have struggled to sign some of that talent. In this case, Bowers was offered when the staff had an open offer out to Powell, so they must have been pretty impressed with Bowers.

How do you know when the staff identified him?

So are we going to regret missing Powell? I'm sure it depends how Bowers fares. Where is Powell now going to end up? (Is he going to regret missing out on us?)

Welcome, Tayvon!

I think our staff would wait to offer if they weren't sold on Bowers. Of course, the bigger problem is that we haven't seen evidence that this staff is a good judge of ACC level QB talent.

The staff has offered several QBs early that then went on to sign at some big programs - Sam Darnold, Malzone, and Francois (offered when he was a 3 star) come to mind.

Some more context on the Bowers commit:

Bowers is ranked as the #63 QB on RankByOffers.com. So while some other QB’s may be ranked higher on Rivals and QBHitList, they aren’t necessarily getting college offers.

24 of the top 30 QBs on RankByOffers are off the board, and Wake is not involved with any of them. All of their recruitments are very competitive (as a side note, Duke is still looking for a QB and is involved in several of those battles). After those top 30, it’s a tier where the guys are about the same. Different strengths and weaknesses though (for sure).

Judging from Twitter, contact with Bowers probably started sometime in the March/April timeframe leading to his April 20 offer. Around the time that Wake started looking for backup plans for Taylor Powell.

Here is a look back at how it unfolded (note: “RBO” is their QB ranking on RankByOffers.com):

I believe that the focus from November through January was on 5 QBs that ultimately blew up with offers: Kasim Hill (RBO #8), Hendon Hooker (RBO #15), Daulton Hyatt (RBO #21), Myles Brennan (RBO #25) and Taylor Powell (RBO #37). There was a mutual interest for a while with Hyatt, but that clearly cooled well before his commitment to Arkansas. Wake never gained traction with Hill (now committed to Maryland), Hooker (now committed to Virginia Tech) or Brennan (now committed to LSU and named an Elite 11 finalist).

By early-February it was apparent that only 1 QB (Powell) of the original 5 was considering Wake. That was when Wake offered Johnathan Lewis (RBO #43). There were some reports that Lewis was considering Wake, but well before he decided to stay in-state and commit to Rutgers it was clear that Wake wasn’t in contention. It was kind of a similar story with Tommy DeVito (RBO #39) who was offered on March 31, but made it clear throughout that he wanted to stay closer to home. DeVito eventually chose Syracuse and was recently given an invite to the Elite 11 finals.

April was likely spent evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of that next tier of QBs that included Bowers. California QB Jake Haener (RBO #75) was reportedly considered. Haener has offers from Hawaii, Akron, Toledo and Middle Tennessee. After that it is not clear who was considered. I would speculate that Henry Columbi (RBO #52) and Charlotte’s Kingsley Ifedi (RBO #60) were probably looked at as options. Columbi had an Arkansas offer very briefly before that spot filled and was also offered by Iowa State, Toledo, Temple, Western Michigan and FIU. Ifedi had offers from Pitt, Georgia Southern, ECU, Colorado State and Charlotte. However the staff clearly preferred Bowers to those three (or, for that matter, any of the other remaining QBs) and pulled the trigger on an offer on April 20.

The biggest mystery in this QB drama is of course Powell, who has received a lot of attention from Wake fans since he was offered on December 3. I think there are 3 possibilities. First, he could be locked and loaded to commit to Vandy in the very near-term. That would be somewhat surprising as Vandy is reportedly waiting on a decision from a QB that they like better than Powell. Second, he could be willing to gamble that if he waits long enough an even bigger offer will come his way. The last possibility is that he may have decided that for whatever reason Wake was simply not a fit. In any of those scenarios, it’s clear that Powell was not excited about Wake and so frankly I don’t feel like we missed out. I want guys that are excited about Wake.

Some video on Tayvon Bowers and his Father:

[video]http://abc27.com/2015/11/05/his-fathers-son-tayvon-bowers-story/[/video]

UGH!! His offer list reads like a who's who of nobody's and never was's. Looks kind of slowish and one site had him at 6' (yea for slow short qb's?) At first glance this is very disappointing

Maybe, you can get more excited when other schools inevitably try to poach him after his commitment; then, you can bitch about the staff not being able to hold on to its commits.

At this point, Clawson has recruited as well as can be expected for program that has not had a winning season in 7 years. For WF to take the next step in recruiting, WF has to end the run of 4-8 or worse seasons. I think/hope that this will be that year. Remain convinced that Clawson will get the program rolling when WF can win some games, generate juice and then WF football recruiting will enter a totally different dynamic. When your signature moments during your first two years are 6-3 OT win and 3-0 win in regulation, can see how bringing QB talent would be a tough sell.

Maybe, you can get more excited when other schools inevitably try to poach him after his commitment; then, you can bitch about the staff not being able to hold on to its commits.

At this point, Clawson has recruited as well as can be expected for program that has not had a winning season in 7 years. For WF to take the next step in recruiting, WF has to end the run of 4-8 or worse seasons. I think/hope that this will be that year. Remain convinced that Clawson will get the program rolling when WF can win some games, generate juice and then WF football recruiting will enter a totally different dynamic. When your signature moments during your first two years are 6-3 OT win and 3-0 win in regulation, can see how bringing QB talent would be a tough sell.

+1

Every now and then a spot-on post appears here....:thumbsup:

Everyone agrees winning will improve recruiting. The question is if we will win and how.

I thought his tape looked real good. Really good arm strength, enough size, good mobility. He needs to get in a lot better shape for college ball and I think that will improve his athleticism. He's a bit plump right now.

Seems like his Dad was killed accidentally by one of his best friend when he hit him with a car after a night of drinking - pretty sad.

Back