• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Some Georgia HS football info..........
In a few weeks the Southeastern 7 on 7 Championships will be held in Dalton, Ga. 30-40 teams from all over the southeast will compete.
One of the teams is Cartersville (GA) who went 15-0 last year and won the 4A state championship.
Their 2 key players this year are Trevor Lawrence and Trey Creamer.
Lawrence is a 6' 5" 200 lb (more like 190) junior QB and is the #1 prospect in the 2018 class. He has offers from everyone with a top 4 of Clemson, UGA, Florida and Tennessee. As a sophomore last year he was 233 of 364 for 3,655 yds, 43 tds and 4 interceptions.
Creamer played a lot of offense last year, rushing for 710 yds and 20 tds. He also had 13 catches for 195 yds and played DB (the position Wake is recruiting him for).

There will be loads of college coaches and scouts at this event and probably several future Wake players. (I haven't had the chance to check out all the other teams that plan to attend.)

Trey Creamer tweeted that his decision is coming soon. Doesn't mean today necessarily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s a look at the updated 2017 Board for the offense. I’ll do the same with the defense as soon as I get time.

Recruits highlighted in red have come off my Board since the last update. I’ve added a column with my own personal Crystal Ball prediction.

dpkbk2.jpg

WR NOTES
(estimated 2 scholarships available)

Corey Reed and Cameron Jordan came off the Board this week. Reed is now a heavy Louisville lean with Miami probably the only other school under consideration. Cameron Jordan committed to Syracuse over offers from Wake Forest and Boston College. While Jordan’s offer list wasn’t that long, he was a guy that I really liked.

Josh Ali is an interesting case because it shows that Wake hasn’t completely turned their backs on recruiting South Florida. Like with all recruits that live far away, it’s a question of whether or not he will make it to campus for an unofficial visit. With Kentucky, Pitt and NC State likely Wake’s main competition for Ali it would seem like he’d make a trip north at some point.

Khalil Newton’s offer dates all the way back to October 2015. Those older offers are more difficult for me to get a handle on – i.e. is he still a priority for the staff? Since receiving his offer from Kentucky in mid-January his only offers have been non-P5s Miami (OH), Jacksonville State, Coastal Carolina, Toledo and Western Kentucky. NCSU also offered in mid-January, but I’ve never seen him mentioned as a priority for the Wolfpack. Newton camped at Wake in June, and he would seem to be there for the taking if Wake is still interested.

Justin Gibbs visited Wake in April. Max Fisher visited Wake in July. My chart above doesn’t reflect the offer that Gibbs got from Iowa last week, so his recruitment continues to look competitive. I think Wake has a good shot with Gibbs though.

My understanding is that Jacquarii Roberson isn’t a big priority for NCSU. He tweeted recently that he was having surgery of some sort (which presumably has limited his ability to make an impression on the camp circuit).

I’ve split out Josh Johnson and Tye Freeland into a separate slot receiver category because each measured only 5’10 at Nike camp this spring. My suspicion is that Wake won’t take any more receivers under 6’0 this year. Wake already has a strong contingent of receivers under 6'0 already on the roster. I could be wrong though, and both players have some impressive credentials, so I’m leaving them on the Board for now.

OL NOTES (estimated 2-3 scholarships available)

Carson Van Lynn, Brian Anderson and Gabe Houy all come off the Board in this update. Van Lynn committed to Pitt as a DE. Anderson committed to UNC at the Fedora Freak Show and Houy seems to be focused entirely on hometown Pitt and Maryland.

Zach Quinney is one of those athletic tackles that are so popular right now. At one point he might have been deemed too small for P5, but now everyone’s looking for guys who can move their feet. Conventional wisdom is that this battle is really down to Duke or UNC, but Quinney’s been somewhat quiet so I’ll keep him on the Board for now. Lots of schools seem very high on him (he’s also a “take” at GT and NCSU).

Dmitri Emmanuel’s
recruitment is puzzling. He was OL MVP at Rivals-Charlotte and looked great in the clips that were made available. Curiously, his P5 interest remains somewhat limited. Wake and Tennessee seem to be the schools most involved, but Tennessee hasn’t offered yet. The recruiting websites list a UNC offer, but the UNC message board claim that he doesn’t have a committable offer right now. Probably an OG at the college level and I’m not sure whether Wake is solely focused OTs for 2017. Overall a mystery and I’m anxious to get an update on his recruitment. I like him.

While Brady Scott is flirting with some football programs, he remains committed to South Carolina for baseball. The last thing that I heard was that South Carolina had not extended an offer to play both sports.

Mark Stickford is tall (6’6) and athletic but was really skinny last year for a tackle. The buzz is that he has added some good weight this offseason. He has a lot of MAC offers (six) and Ivy offers (three) but it’s the in-state offer from Purdue (who offered right after Wake pulled the trigger) that looks like the biggest competition.

New Scout update on Trey Creamer makes it very clear that Wake has a sizable lead on Kansas State and Minnesota. He said he would like to visit Minnesota and K-State before committing.

New Scout update on Trey Creamer makes it very clear that Wake has a sizable lead on Kansas State and Minnesota. He said he would like to visit Minnesota and K-State before committing.

BOOOOOOM BABY! LETS REEL HIM IN CLAW!

When I post a new Big Board for the offense it will have a "Deac94 Crystal Ball" for WR Justin Gibbs to Wake.

High 3-star (5.7) with offers from Mississippi State, Iowa and Purdue.

Second unofficial visit set for July 15. Fingers crossed. C'mon staff! Reel him in!

Red shading = recruits coming off the board since the last update
Red font = new offer since the last update

2jancdh.jpg

Defensive Line Notes

While I am predicting that Mike Allen will eventually land at Tennessee, Wake clearly still has a chance. After Allen returned from Tennessee’s Red Carpet Day he said that the only other unofficial visit that he has scheduled this summer was another trip to Wake. I would estimate that this would be either his fifth or sixth visit to Wake. While Wake isn’t recruiting any of Allen’s teammates for this class (Wake is no longer in contention for Tyler Taylor), you can tell that a group of area recruits including Allen, CB Troy Simon, CB Trey Creamer and (Creamer’s teammate) S Avery Showell are all familiar with each other at some level. Hopefully Simon’s commitment gets the ball rolling with that entire group.

I was surprised by the new offer to Ben Frye (on June 21, which followed Duke’s offer on June 18). His highlights certainly seem offer worthy, but he also looks like more of a DE than a DT. I had assumed that Wake was only going to take a DE in this class if it was Allen or Victor Dimukeje (who is a former teammate of Dom Maggio and current teammate of TE commit Braden Atkinson).

Axel Nyembwe has certainly enjoyed a nice breakout this spring. He’s gathered 3 more P5 offers after Wake gave him his first offer on June 4, and those offer have come at a time when not many new offers are being handed out. Interestingly, his Rutgers offer came after Nyembwe performed well at the Ohio State camp that the Buckeyes allowed Rutgers to attend. When Nyembwe was first offered by Wake I thought he might be an immediate commit given his very thin offer sheet at the time, but with multiple offers now it seems like he is going to be patient this summer and take some visits. Nyembwe wants to study business and wants to choose a college with a really strong business program. Annoyingly, he seems to be a big Duke fan and the Blue Devils have offered. If he is a priority for Duke, then I feel confident that is where he will end up.

Linebacker Notes

I know that a lot of Wake fans are hopeful about Chase Monroe. I’m optimistic. I was going to put in a prediction for Monroe before he was offered by West Virginia over the weekend. My concern is the connection with former Davidson Day QB Will Grier (who is now at WVU). Hopefully WVU doesn’t become a contender.

I moved Chris Pierce from WR to LB since that is where most schools are recruiting him. It also seems to be more consistent with his 40 time.

Cornerback Notes

With a commit from OGBoard favorite Trey Creamer seeming more and more likely, the question of whether Wake can take a third corner becomes even more interesting. Three seems like a lot for a small class, but Zamari Maxwell was just at Wake on June 17 and Tre Norwood has had a breakout this spring and seems to really like Wake (Norwood also wants a solid academic school and is looking to major in biology). Not to mention that Wake could very well be in play for Jamar Richardson if Ole Miss doesn’t have a spot for him. So this situation will be interesting to watch.

Safety Notes

I’m really pulling for Wake to land Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah. He’s a really interesting kid with impressive highlights. Two-sport star actually camped at Wake for basketball not too long ago. Has played hoops in the Boo Williams program. There’s a good article about he and his brother excelling on and off the field here: http://www.ultimaterecruit.com/757-basketball/owusu-brothers-reflect-bethel-experience/. Until recently I assumed that he was a UVA-lean, but after going back and listening to his last Scout interview I think Wake and UVA are neck and neck. He visited Wake on June 11. Fingers crossed.

Zay Brown camped at South Carolina and earned an offer. Of all my Crystal Ball predictions this is the one that I am most confident about.

Last edited:
Could someone link a highlight tape for Creamer here? I tried to search online for highlights but it doesn't look like the kid has any hudl videos and I can't find any anywhere else.

Thanks for the update! I too was a little worried with the WVU offer to Monroe. I also agree on the brown prediction to South Carolina. The only way, IMO, he doesn't is if they fill the spot first.

Back