• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

A kid like Carney can change a program, if he is as described: physically gifted, hard worker, hard nosed, high character, respected leader. That combination is increasingly rare. It can change a locker room and team performance on the field.

That's too much to expect from a freshman, but this is the kind of recruit I have been hoping for. We'll see.

"Increasingly rare" seems like a stretch. Definitely weird coming from the boards' biggest "football turns boys into men" poster.

Carney hopefully is a kid like Abbate and Nikita-- a program changer

How did Nikita change the program?

He shifted us to a weak as fuck front 7 where any team with a decent ground attack pushed our shit as far as possible.

Nikita is/was an energetic and great dude. But shifting our entire defensive philosophy to prioritize his strengths was so fucking dumb.

He shifted us to a weak as fuck front 7 where any team with a decent ground attack pushed our shit as far as possible.

Nikita is/was an energetic and great dude. But shifting our entire defensive philosophy to prioritize his strengths was so fucking dumb.

I have absolutely no idea how you can come to the position you did about the "entire defensive philosophy" was changed. Please say more. Are you saying the formations, personnel and recruiting were all changed?

Nikita obliterated centers in the ACC. You had to double team him or see him in the backfield. What coach in his right mind wouldn't recognize the impact on the opposing offensive line and take advantage of him as a star?

So please, explain how having a star nose tackle made Wake a 'weak as fuck front 7"? Or were the supporting players around him just plan terrible?

We went from a 4-3 to a 3-4 based on the idea that Nikita worked best in a 3-4. We moved Wilbur from a pass rushing DE to a OLB who drops into coverage which was not his strength.

Nikita was a great pass rusher but the pass rush as a whole was weaker. And Nikita was not the run stopper you need a 3-4 NG to be.

We went from a 4-3 to a 3-4 based on the idea that Nikita worked best in a 3-4. We moved Wilbur from a pass rushing DE to a OLB who drops into coverage which was not his strength.

Nikita was a great pass rusher but the pass rush as a whole was weaker. And Nikita was not the run stopper you need a 3-4 NG to be.

As an example, just remember the Miami game in the late Grobe years where we were ahead and Miami just ran it up the middle down our throats the length of the field for the win. Our 3-man front was unable to stop it.

DT Tyler Williams commits to Wake. Really like this guy. Shows quickness in his highlights despite being almost 300 pounds. Doesn't look like he carries very much bad weight. Had a good combine at The Opening - Miami, although he didn't record a 40 time. Shuttle time was good. Power ball toss was elite level. Vertical was very good for his weight.

He measured 6'0.5 at Miami, which probably put him out of SEC consideration. Same height as Kamara (from the 2016 class). Somebody should compare their highlights. Might be comparable.

I really like this commit.

Good news. Is there a link to Williams' recruiting profile? Great day to commit! Happy 4th!

A few more notes on Williams:

He committed to FAU a few months ago in February. All of his P5 interest came after his commitment, so it seems like his commitment got people to watch his film. Louisville, Iowa State and Minnesota all offered.

His school plays in 3A in Florida, so the quality of competition probably isn't great. If I recall correctly, Florida goes up to 8A.

Measured 6’0.5 / 296 at The Opening-Miami in March. His powerball toss (the strength test) was tied for the longest of day (out of 267 competitors) and one of the longest throws recorded nationally. His vertical jump was higher than anyone in Miami weighing more than 231. I’d say his shuttle run (5.00) was above average for his size.

He’s from West Palm Beach, so I’d like to know whether Wake had some sort of connection since Wake doesn’t go that far south very often.

His commitment drew a tweet from Coach Cohen – who doesn’t tweet very often. So it appears he’s excited about Williams. A good sign.

Williams is the fifth commit in the class from outside of the staff’s six hour radius rule-of-thumb (with two others right at six hours – Baltimore’s Braden Atkinson and Harrisburg’s Tayvon Bowers). It’s a very geographically diverse group so far.

Last edited:
94, when can we expect some more commits along the OL - probably need a C and a 2 OG in this class. Seems like we have all the OT we need for a while.

94, when can we expect some more commits along the OL - probably need a C and a 2 OG in this class. Seems like we have all the OT we need for a while.

Wake is going to have a big recruiting weekend July 15-16. That weekend will include Wake's last 2 camps of the year. I expect that most of Wake's remaining commitments will come either on that weekend or within a couple of weeks after - substantially completing this class by the end of July.

From an OL perspective, its not clear to me whether Wake intends to take one or two more commits (although two seems most likely). The primary candidates are Rivals 3-star (5.6) OG Demetris Harris (Jacksonville, FL), Rivals 3-star (5.6) Dmitri Emmanuel (Waxhaw, NC) and OT Mark Stickford (Carmel, IN). In addition, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a new offer made following the two remaining camps. Harris has tweeted that he will be at Wake on July 16.

In terms of positions, I think that Loic Nya is probably an OG. I think that Je'Vionte Nash from the 2016 class is very likely an OC, meaning that the staff wouldn't be looking for another OC this year.

A few more notes on Williams:

He committed to FAU a few months ago in February. All of his P5 interest came after his commitment, so it seems like his commitment got people to watch his film. Louisville, Iowa State and Minnesota all offered.

His school plays in 3A in Florida, so the quality of competition probably isn't great. If I recall correctly, Florida goes up to 8A.

Measured 6’0.5 / 296 at The Opening-Miami in March. His powerball toss (the strength test) was tied for the longest of day (out of 267 competitors) and one of the longest throws recorded nationally. His vertical jump was higher than anyone in Miami weighing more than 231. I’d say his shuttle run (5.00) was above average for his size.

He’s from West Palm Beach, so I’d like to know whether Wake had some sort of connection since Wake doesn’t go that far south very often.

His commitment drew a tweet from Coach Cohen – who doesn’t tweet very often. So it appears he’s excited about Williams. A good sign.

Williams is the fifth commit in the class from outside of the staff’s six hour radius rule-of-thumb (with two others right at six hours – Baltimore’s Braden Atkinson and Harrisburg’s Tayvon Bowers). It’s a very geographically diverse group so far.

Both the powerball toss and the vertical jump are great indicators of explosive power......exactly what you want from a DL. A 40 time isn't that important. I'd much rather have power and quickness for 10-15 yds. Looks like Tyler's got it. Also a low center of gravity. Sounds good to me.

Welcome Tyler!

2017 Football Recruiting - New DT commit

From Scout's Corey Bender (posted on Twitter): "Williams is a kid that's constructed a heck of an offseason. Really flies off the ball with good pad level and quickness. Nice get for Wake."

Last edited:
Back