• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

A few more notes on Williams:

He committed to FAU a few months ago in February. All of his P5 interest came after his commitment, so it seems like his commitment got people to watch his film. Louisville, Iowa State and Minnesota all offered.

His school plays in 3A in Florida, so the quality of competition probably isn't great. If I recall correctly, Florida goes up to 8A.

Measured 6’0.5 / 296 at The Opening-Miami in March. His powerball toss (the strength test) was tied for the longest of day (out of 267 competitors) and one of the longest throws recorded nationally. His vertical jump was higher than anyone in Miami weighing more than 231. I’d say his shuttle run (5.00) was above average for his size.

He’s from West Palm Beach, so I’d like to know whether Wake had some sort of connection since Wake doesn’t go that far south very often.

His commitment drew a tweet from Coach Cohen – who doesn’t tweet very often. So it appears he’s excited about Williams. A good sign.

Williams is the fifth commit in the class from outside of the staff’s six hour radius rule-of-thumb (with two others right at six hours – Baltimore’s Braden Atkinson and Harrisburg’s Tayvon Bowers). It’s a very geographically diverse group so far.

I somehow ended up in his HS's Twitter account and noticed they tweeted about a tennis commit to WFU, so maybe the school itself has some sort of Wake connection that draws coaches from the teams down there.

Wake is going to have a big recruiting weekend July 15-16. That weekend will include Wake's last 2 camps of the year. I expect that most of Wake's remaining commitments will come either on that weekend or within a couple of weeks after - substantially completing this class by the end of July.

From an OL perspective, its not clear to me whether Wake intends to take one or two more commits (although two seems most likely). The primary candidates are Rivals 3-star (5.6) OG Demetris Harris (Jacksonville, FL), Rivals 3-star (5.6) Dmitri Emmanuel (Waxhaw, NC) and OT Mark Stickford (Carmel, IN). In addition, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a new offer made following the two remaining camps. Harris has tweeted that he will be at Wake on July 16.

In terms of positions, I think that Loic Nya is probably an OG. I think that Je'Vionte Nash from the 2016 class is very likely an OC, meaning that the staff wouldn't be looking for another OC this year.

Carmel, IN for the win. Go hounds!

Hey 94, do we know who is visiting July 15-17? Sounds like a pretty big weekend!

Would be interested in hearing from others who know the details but it is my impression Clawson has demonstrated he can keep the players who are developing even if that means they are waiting for significant PT in the fourth year in their individual redshirt program.

These recent verbals strike me as fitting the mold of persistent players who have the patience to wait until their Coach says they're ready to go for significant minutes.

With anticipated verbals from linemen forthcoming it will be interesting to see how well they appear to fit that mold.

Hey 94, do we know who is visiting July 15-17? Sounds like a pretty big weekend!

Well, I'll answer that in two parts: what I know and what I'm speculating. I know that OL Demetris Harris and WR Justin Gibbs will be coming that weekend. Two increasingly important names. I'm speculating that the staff might be planning a weekend where both key targets and current commits come in at the same time, go through camp together, and then hang out afterwards during an overnight stay. We saw something similar last year. Sort of one last recruiting push before fall practice starts. It will be interesting to see who makes the trip that weekend.

I'm actually kind of hoping that we don't get any WR commits before that weekend. I suspect that Taylor Powell is planning on camping at Wake. If I'm right, that would mean that the staff would have the opportunity to evaluate the WR candidates with Powell throwing to them. Kind of a neat idea if it works out.

Thanks 94! I like the idea of WR's connecting with Powell. Speaking of QB, you may not be able to speak to this, but what's your take on Tayvon Bowers sticking with Wake? He came on board first, but it's clear Powell is the future.

Thanks 94! I like the idea of WR's connecting with Powell. Speaking of QB, you may not be able to speak to this, but what's your take on Tayvon Bowers sticking with Wake? He came on board first, but it's clear Powell is the future.

Yeah, I don't have any good insight on Bowers. Knowing a little about how the staff operates though I feel 100% confident that the staff was transparent with Bowers when he committed that they were going to continue to pursue Powell. Other than that, I'm just as curious as you as to how the abundance of QBs works itself out.

I think that your statement that Powell is clearly the future is interesting. I don't try to hide the fact that I'm a big Powell fan, but the position is such a crapshoot that I'd put the likelihood that he is the long-term starter at roughly the same % likelihood as Kyle Kearns and Jamie Newman.

Also keep in mind that while we think that high school QBs want to go where they have the most direct route to playing time, high school QBs tend to talk more about getting onto teams with other great QBs that can push them, teach them, and make them better. Plus, they have so much confidence that they think they'll beat everyone out anyways. Maybe they are just saying that because they think it is what they should be saying, but I think there is some truth to it. Maybe Bowers relishes the opportunity to come in and try to beat out Powell (in addition to Kearns and Newman).

"Also keep in mind that while we think that high school QBs want to go where they have the most direct route to playing time, high school QBs tend to talk more about getting onto teams with other great QBs that can push them, teach them, and make them better. Plus, they have so much confidence that they think they'll beat everyone out anyways. Maybe they are just saying that because they think it is what they should be saying, but I think there is some truth to it. Maybe Bowers relishes the opportunity to come in and try to beat out Powell (in addition to Kearns and Newman)."

Agree completely- If anyone of these QBs is afraid of the competition we have at QB they don't need to be playing Division 1 football. They have to look things over see opportunity and believe they can play- seems there is good potential but there is not one prohibitive, proven commodity out there. From the coaches perspective- they have to be happy with the numbers thinking one of them at least will step up and take over.

Also I think QBs generally have to wait their turn in high school. You will on occasion find that 4-year starter in high school, but more likely it is 1-3 year starter - they may have played another position as they wait for the older QB to graduate. Outside the QB, I think a lot of Div 1 players are generally 3-year starters in high school. They have less experience "waiting their turn."

Remember how everyone was pining for #2 to start (blanking on his name) bc the line was so bad and we had no running game? Just last season. Until I see improvement in those areas, I'm not assuming a pocket passer (particularly a frosh) is the answer over Hinton (remembered it).

2017 Football Recruiting - New DT commit

Also I think QBs generally have to wait their turn in high school. You will on occasion find that 4-year starter in high school, but more likely it is 1-3 year starter - they may have played another position as they wait for the older QB to graduate. Outside the QB, I think a lot of Div 1 players are generally 3-year starters in high school. They have less experience "waiting their turn."

The QB probably started JV as a freshman and sophomore until he was ready for varsity unless he was a year behind a top prospect.

The QB probably started JV as a freshman and sophomore until he was ready for varsity unless he was a year behind a top prospect.

Right, which is different from [future Div1] position players who generally play and play a lot for soph thru senior years.

Remember how everyone was pining for #2 to start (blanking on his name) bc the line was so bad and we had no running game? Just last season. Until I see improvement in those areas, I'm not assuming a pocket passer (particularly a frosh) is the answer over Hinton (remembered it).

Hinton was such an obvious better playmaker and overall better chance at winning at QB. Still baffles me why he didn't start over Wolford. I know he was hurt some but that doesn't explain the entire season. He won the game for us vs Army. Every time he came in we did better at moving the ball, even Clemson. Real head-scratcher....could Clawson not see the "forest for the trees"?

Hinton was such an obvious better playmaker and overall better chance at winning at QB. Still baffles me why he didn't start over Wolford. I know he was hurt some but that doesn't explain the entire season. He won the game for us vs Army. Every time he came in we did better at moving the ball, even Clemson. Real head-scratcher....could Clawson not see the "forest for the trees"?

If the army db had any sort of hands he would still be running into the endzone....

He was on our "big board" as a legit prospect and now it does not appear so. That is how.

I’m changing up the Big Board again this time. This version is narrower and represents my best guess at the recruits where the mutual interest is the highest. I’m sure that the list isn’t perfect, but I think it’s a decent effort.

In terms of remaining scholarships, I’m having trouble reconciling my estimates by position to my overall projected class size of 19. I’d like to say the remaining spots are 2 WRs, 2 OLs, 1 DT, 1 CB, 1 S and 1 more for best player available (regardless of position), but that’s probably a little heavy in terms of remaining scholarships overall.

29fzeva.png

I read an article on CB Trey Creamer that made it seem like Wake had backed off somewhat in his recruitment and were no longer in consistent contact. It’s possible that the author had his facts wrong though.

CB Tre Norwood certainly seems to like Wake. He has a former teammate at Minnesota and that has lead to some speculation that he will ultimately choose the Gophers, however I think that if Wake takes another corner there is a good chance it will be Norwood. He’ll be back on campus soon, presumably for the big recruiting weekend on July 15-16 (although I don’t know the exact date of his visit yet). With that being said, I don’t think it would be a big surprise if Wake were to instead land Jamar Richardson (although it will take Ole Miss closing the door on him for that to happen and I don’t know if Richardson has visited Wake yet).

It’s pretty big news that (**GREAT NAME ALERT**) WR Mac Hippenhammer will visit Wake next weekend. He’s been nothing short of sensational this summer. Very few players at any position anywhere in the country have done more to improve their stock. Wake faces an uphill battle now that offers have arrived from Penn State and Michigan State, but Wake also has a not-so-secret weapon in the recruiting battle with Hippenhammer’s former high school teammate Jessie Bates.

WR Justin Gibbs picked up a very late offer from Indiana, but I’m keeping my prediction that he will end up at Wake. As far as I know, the plan is still for him to be at Wake next weekend.

DT Jaylen Twyman picked up an offer from Florida.

Trey Creamer and his Cartersville team will be playing in the Southeastern 7 on 7 Championship in Dalton GA July 15-16
They're one of the favorites to win

Back