• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Hinton was such an obvious better playmaker and overall better chance at winning at QB. Still baffles me why he didn't start over Wolford. I know he was hurt some but that doesn't explain the entire season. He won the game for us vs Army. Every time he came in we did better at moving the ball, even Clemson. Real head-scratcher....could Clawson not see the "forest for the trees"?

I agree that Hinton is a better player, period.

But Clawson was likely trying to protect him since he looks to be about 5'10" 180 pounds and was getting hit a LOT while trying to make plays/extend plays/run the ball - mainly due to our awful offensive line.

I think we are running in circles on Hinton - Wolford.

I think the dilemma is that Wolford is the more accurate passer. Hinton throws more bad balls. Wolford is always going to have the higher completion %. But even he makes a few bad throws a game, mostly due to being overwhelmed, not due to mechanics. Hinton just doesn't have elite accuracy either because of his mechanics, concentration, or his skill level.

Against elite competition, (Florida State, Clemson), ironically Wolford might be the best player for the position today as the things that make Hinton more of a threat are virtually nullified against those teams. And to make it more difficult for Clawson, Hinton actually throws the better long ball thus stretching the D more. Against teams we are equal or better than (e.g., Army, Indiana), Hinton's running and intangibles like scrambling make him the better option (likley). Again, this is all as it stood at end of last season, maybe through Spring. So I totally get why Clawson was juggling two QBs last year. Each was more suited than the other depending on the opponent. I imagine that will be true this year as well.

I'd like to see BOTH in the backfield 4 or 5 plays a game this year.

Last edited:
That's a better assessment than most here seem willing to make. There is not an easy answer to our QB situation and we can only hope Clawson does what gives our team the best chance to win.

I will say that using a particular QB for certain teams probably isn't a viable option though. QBs are viewed as team leaders rather than machines plugged into a situation. Hard to sit a guy saying he's not the best one for this game.

I think we are running in circles on Hinton - Wolford.

I think the dilemma is that Wolford is the more accurate passer. Hinton throws more bad balls. Wolford is always going to have the higher completion %. But even he makes a few bad throws a game, mostly due to being overwhelmed, not due to mechanics. Hinton just doesn't have elite accuracy either because of his mechanics, concentration, or his skill level.

Against elite competition, (Florida State, Clemson), ironically Wolford might be the best player for the position today as the things that make Hinton more of a threat are virtually nullified against those teams. And to make it more difficult for Clawson, Hinton actually throws the better long ball thus stretching the D more. Against teams we are equal or better than (e.g., Army, Indiana), Hinton's running and intangibles like scrambling make him the better option (likley). Again, this is all as it stood at end of last season, maybe through Spring. So I totally get why Clawson was juggling two QBs last year. Each was more suited than the other depending on the opponent. I imagine that will be true this year as well.

I'd like to see BOTH in the backfield 4 or 5 plays a game this year.

Hinton in the 'Wild Deac' position?

I thought one of Hinton's most impressive games last year was against Florida State.

ZE GOALIE!!!!!

e83dc05a9910d4a0afbd414f4b8195f9

Something to consider is I assume Wofford gets sacked more. This is worse than an incomplete pass and does not show up in the passing percentage. While Hinton evades tacklers and may throw the ball away.

Last edited:
I thought one of Hinton's most impressive games last year was against Florida State.

I thought it was one of the few times our QB play was impressive. The FSU fans at church marveled at how well Hinton played.

Hinton is younger with a higher ceiling. That gives him the edge for me.

I don't know why, but when I read this, I had a sudden vision of Wolford and Hinton standing side by side in the shotgun, they both say hike and then take off in opposite directions. Meanwhile the center snaps the ball straight back into the vacated backfield and a defensive lineman breaks through to scoop up the ball and runs for a touchdown for the opponent. I guess I've been conditioned by too many years of bad football... :noidea:

I'm removing Zach Quinney from my OL board. He's reportedly narrowed his list down to Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, Duke and UNC. He's also trying to earn an offer from Georgia.

I don't know why, but when I read this, I had a sudden vision of Wolford and Hinton standing side by side in the shotgun, they both say hike and then take off in opposite directions. Meanwhile the center snaps the ball straight back into the vacated backfield and a defensive lineman breaks through to scoop up the ball and runs for a touchdown for the opponent. I guess I've been conditioned by too many years of bad football... :noidea:

Going off of this (but with a more positive mindset), how sick would it be if we came up with a formation with Hinton, wolford and a RB all side by side and the center can snap it to any three of them (either way, they all run in different directions each time). That could actually be pretty sick.

Give how weak our QB and RB play is compared to TE and WR, we need as few people in the backfield as possible.

Sam Hartman is gonna be special. there is no way in hell that kid isnt 4 or 5 star.

Going off of this (but with a more positive mindset), how sick would it be if we came up with a formation with Hinton, wolford and a RB all side by side and the center can snap it to any three of them (either way, they all run in different directions each time). That could actually be pretty sick.

Everything old is new again. That formation is the original "shotgun" formation - 2, 3 or even 4 backs in a line, about five yards behind center, and the center could snap the ball to any one of them. Instead of the ball going to a single destination, there were multiple possible recipients in the backfield, hence the reference to the scatter of shotgun pellets, instead of a "rifle" to a single qb.

Edited to add:
Washington used it many years ago with Sonny Jurgenson and Billy Kilmer, both QBs, in a two QB shotgun formation. Just like Wake's pair, Jurgenson was a nearly immobile accurate passer, and Kilmer was a near running back, poor passing QB.

Last edited:

That would be great. We would lose our starting QB, backup QB, and running back all in the same play. All three injured on the same play.

Sam Hartman is gonna be special. there is no way in hell that kid isnt 4 or 5 star.

Give it time. He's still just a rising junior.
He sounds like another very high quality young man.........just like teammate Cade Carney.
The future is looking brighter all the time

Back