• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

dpjsiw.jpg

The final Wake Forest camp of the year wrapped up this evening.

Key weekend visitors were WR Mac Hippenhammer, DT Derrick Tangelo and OL Demetris Harris.

Only a few changes to my Big Board since the last time I posted it. OL Zach Quinney came off. I changed my prediction for Victor Dimukeje from Duke to Maryland. Added predictions for Derrick Tangelo to Wake and Demetris Harris to Georgia Tech.

DE Mike Allen’s Top 6 that he named this evening were Tennessee, Wake Forest, Alabama, South Carolina, Southern Cal and Georgia.

Of the camp attendees that I picked up on, the most interesting name was WR Anthony White Jr (Miami Central HS / Miami, FL). White’s recruitment is an unusual one. He received a number of big offers between his sophomore and junior season (think LSU) and I believe he was initially a 4-star on Scout. His recruitment has been pretty quiet since his junior season, however Rivals is very high on him and bumped him from a 3-star to a 4-star just last month. White has not reported an offer from Wake.

Wake fans will also be interested to know that WR Tyron Arnett (Pahokee HS / Pahokee, FL) made the trip. Arnett has offers from places like Air Force, Bowling Green and MTSU, but I figured that his high school is what would get the attention on this board.

"DE Mike Allen’s Top 6 that he named this evening were Tennessee, Wake Forest, Alabama, South Carolina, Southern Cal and Georgia."

One of these does not look like the others.

"DE Mike Allen’s Top 6 that he named this evening were Tennessee, Wake Forest, Alabama, South Carolina, Southern Cal and Georgia."

One of these does not look like the others.

Yeah, really. What's South Carolina doing with a group of elites like that?

Safety target Avery Showell will visit tomorrow.

We just got a commitment from Jeffery Burley, LB

More info coming shortly. Burley has always been high in Wake but it wasn't clear that he had an offer so he never made my Board. Very impressive LB. was a big target for both NCSU and Minnesota. I wondered whether he would be shut out with all the LBs in this class already. Great get.

Burley seems like a solid pickup with raw athleticism. 5 + p-5 offers too. Happy to have him. Wonder if this will affect Monroe?

LINEBACKER

With two LBs in the fold, this situation is interesting since the remaining recruits might be competing for “best player available” type slots. I don’t think that taking a third LB is unreasonable this year as Wake hasn’t taken many LBs in the past 3 classes. I’m convinced that Wake is neck and neck with Kentucky for Chase Monroe. Dylan Meeks said recently that he is favoring Wake and Indiana. Tre Allen seems to like Wake a lot and has very recently blown up with offers from schools like Mizzou and Ole Miss. On top of those players, Jeffery Burley (Jackson HS / Jackson, GA) frequently mentions Wake, and included the Deacs in his top 5, although he hasn’t yet reported an offer. Burley does have scholarship offers from Minnesota, Mississippi State and N.C. State.

Looks like a good pickup.

Last edited:
JEFFERY BURLEY (Jackson HS / Jackson, GA)

Other P5 Offers: Minnesota, NC State, Mississippi St, Louisville and Illinois (also 8 non-P5 offers)

Recruitment: For a while now Burley had listed Wake as a top school in his recruitment although he hadn’t tweeted about a Wake offer. Had two 247 crystal ball predictions for Minnesota. I know he was a big target for the Gophers. The NCSU message boards were also confident they would get Burley. In addition to Wake, he also visited Virginia, NC State, Louisville, LSU and Georgia. He had planned upcoming trips to Minnesota and LSU, and presumably those trips will be cancelled now. In late June he said that NCSU, Mississippi State and Wake Forest were his co-leaders.

Other Notes: Mississippi State reportedly saw him as a LB/DE hybrid. Burley had a big game in Georgia Elite Junior Classic last December (at least 8 tackles). I don’t think he attended a Nike camp, so I don’t have his combine numbers or official measurements. Burley hopes to enroll early.

I like that Burley tweeted his commitment with the short caption "Best decision of my life!! !! !!"

good offers, seems strange he's only ranked by 247.

DJ Taylor, Jamal Riggins and Burley. Thats a hell of a LB trio. Clawson is gettin it done on the recruiting trial.

Been a long time since we've had a strong LB corps.

Welcome Jeff.

Looks like he's aggressive, a hitter, has a good nose for the ball and good size and speed

Back