• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Just a quick note on recruiting territories.

One of the stories in this cycle has been the increased attention that Wake has paid to Georgia. For a while it looked questionable that the strategy would work out, but now all of a sudden 3 of Wake’s top 5 commits (in terms of offer sheets) are from Georgia – and WR Justin Gibbs and DE Mike Allen could still be added to the class.

If the Avery Showell commit means that the Deacs are done at safety that could mean that there won’t be anyone in the class from Virginia this year (since Safety Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah would be shut out in that scenario). This contrasts with five commits from Virginia in the 2016 class. Staying away from Virginia makes sense as both in-state P5 programs have new head coaches and all of the recruiting advantages that comes along with the sense of a fresh start. UVA has renewed (continued?) their in-state focus, having already taken commits from 8 recruits in Virginia (including 6 rated 5.5 or lower)

Wake is sitting with one commit from North Carolina right now. Taking a second in-state commit probably depends on where things head with Davidson LB Chase Monroe and Ahoskie WR Jaquarii Roberson.

94, do you think we will take another LB in this class? Isn't a WR more likely?

I've been trying to figure out what's left and it's not easy. Best guess is 2 WRs, 1 OL, 1 DT and 1 CB. However I think they make room for Chase Monroe and Mike Allen if they want to commit. Can't turn down that level of talent.

I've been trying to figure out what's left and it's not easy. Best guess is 2 WRs, 1 OL, 1 DT and 1 CB. However I think they make room for Chase Monroe and Mike Allen if they want to commit. Can't turn down that level of talent.

Thanks. I didn't realize that we had that many openings left.

If Monroe committed to us would that not drive another linebacker to decommit? Maybe like Jake Simpson? That may not even have to happen if Burley is actually a DE/LB hybrid and ends up playing DE though.

On Twitter you got Showell and Troy Simon working Mike Neal to come to Wake. Its a beautiful thing. Also Sam Hartman is pretty active on twitter recruiting others.

Yeah. That's what I meant. Sorry I wasn't clear. These are both good pickups for the Deacs. Great film and solid offer sheets.

Though I'm a publisher, I'm not the guy that scouts the guys and assigns stars. If I happen to have seen a guy live either at a camp or in a game, there's a point in each year where I'm given a chance to provide input, but it has to be based on live eval, not offer sheets or merely wanting to see the Wake guys get another star.

I guess the point I was making out loud was wondering if Rivals is just behind in generally scouting the state of Georgia.

the Rivals scouts may be a little behind in GA, but not as an oversight. GA is one of the top states for football talent.
If they're behind, it may be because there's so much to cover and they have a hard time keeping up.

(I'm typing this from Cartersville, GA.......home of new commit Avery Showell)

Many people find bowls meaningless, but for a program like ours so desperate for some postseason play, I do not. I genuinely hope this time next year we are enjoying a small recruiting bump from the momentum of a bowl-winning season, even if it is just the perception of momentum. Perception is reality. Get it done, Deacs.

Those extra weeks of practice don't hurt either. At least from a development standpoint.

the Rivals scouts may be a little behind in GA, but not as an oversight. GA is one of the top states for football talent.
If they're behind, it may be because there's so much to cover and they have a hard time keeping up.

(I'm typing this from Cartersville, GA.......home of new commit Avery Showell)

Also home of a sweet golf course.

Thanks. I didn't realize that we had that many openings left.

Yeah, I would think 5 more and then they'd have to be maxed out (or very close to it). Just getting that big of a class would probably require some guys with the flexibility to greyshirt if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Monroe committed to us would that not drive another linebacker to decommit? Maybe like Jake Simpson? That may not even have to happen if Burley is actually a DE/LB hybrid and ends up playing DE though.

I can't see any LBs decommitting if Chase Monroe committed. That would be 5 LBs, which is a lot but looks better if someone is targeted for Rover. Plus the path to the 2-deep can't look that intimidating. Think about the projected 2-deep in 2018 once Marquel Lee, Jaboree Williams, Grant Dawson and Thomas Brown have all graduated. There's not a ton of guys there.

I can't see any LBs decommitting if Chase Monroe committed. That would be 5 LBs, which is a lot but looks better if someone is targeted for Rover. Plus the path to the 2-deep can't look that intimidating. Think about the projected 2-deep in 2018 once Marquel Lee, Jaboree Williams, Grant Dawson and Thomas Brown have all graduated. There's not a ton of guys there.

Also, this is the whole point of the 4-2-5 concept - you want more mobile/rangy type players, somewhat interchangeable players who can provide the variety of looks that is a cornerstone of the 4-2-5. TCU is always a prime example of this. Gary Patterson has been so successful over the years building his defenses by being flexible and keeping pace with offensive innovation. You can't do that with 7 slow hogs in the box and only 4 people in the defensive backfield. Doesn't work in modern football.

I was surprised last night by the new offer to 2017 DE Zach Anderson (Chase HS / Forest City, NC). The surprise doesn't have anything to with Anderson exactly, but more the position he plays. I had guessed that there would only be a DE in the class if it was Mike Allen. He was 6'3 / 282 at The Opening-Charlotte so maybe he is being recruited for DT (??). Anderson camped at Wake this summer. His 247 profile shows offers from FAU, MTSU and Western Kentucky.

CB Tre Norwood says he will make the trip from Arkansas to Winston-Salem to visit Wake on July 28.

The next version of my Board will include CB O.J. Tucker (Vanguard HS / Ocala, FL). UNC had been a clear leader for Tucker but it's now being reported that the Heels no longer have room for him. Nebraska is thought to have a slight lead over Georgia Tech and Wake now that UNC is out of the picture.

Top OL target Demetris Harris released a top 3 of Georgia Tech, South Florida and Wake Forest. He'll camp at Florida on Saturday to try and earn a Gators offer. Look for him to make a decision shortly thereafter. There is a USF message board that is confident that they will land him, but it got definitely got my attention when he told Scout that Georgia Tech had the best campus that he had ever seen (the day after he had visited Wake).

In a bit of a shocker, under the radar DT Derrick Tangelo committed to Duke. It was my understanding that Tangelo visited Wake last weekend and I had predicted that he would commit to the Deacons. Wake was the only P5 offer that he had tweeted prior to his commitment.

Tangelo's commitment leads me to believe that the staff was made informed last night and that led to the decision to offer Zach Anderson.

Another interesting offer was announced today. DT TJ Raham tweeted that he picked up offers from Wake Forest, Iowa State and Kent State. Rayam was originally in the 2016 class and flew under the radar before ultimately signing with UMass. However, instead of enrolling at UMass he decided to go the prep route (New Jersey's The Peddie School) in the hopes of improving his recruiting stock and it looks like he has been successful.

Rayam is the son of a former Alabama DL and won a Class 7A heavyweight wrestling title when he was attending high school in Alabama.

If he went to Peddie , he should have no trouble adjusting to Wake.

Back