• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Hopefully, these Georgia commits will help us land Mike Allen. Based on his Twitter activity; Taylor Powell appears to be 'active' on the recruiting trail. Even thought it may impact his friend & teammate, I was also encouraged last night when Sam Hartman tweeted an impressive/excited tweet about Burley's commitment. Go Deacs!

I have heard the word 'hybrid' DE/LB mentioned for Burley. If so, this type of terminology could keep us in the running for Chase Monroe

Nice pickup, liked the guys film quite a bit.

2017 Football Recruiting - Jeffery Burley commits to Wake

Reminder that Avery Showell is visiting today and a decision from Demetris Harris is expected soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meanwhile, Clemson building a dynasty, signing the top QBs in the nation. Likely to get another in Trevor Lawrence (Showell's teammate) over home state Ga, close proximity of Tenn, and interest from Alabama

Meanwhile, Clemson building a dynasty, signing the top QBs in the nation. Likely to get another in Trevor Lawrence (Showell's teammate) over home state Ga, close proximity of Tenn, and interest from Alabama

Most 247 experts seems to think Lawrence is going to UGA.

AVERY SHOWELL (Cartersville HS / Cartersville, GA)

Rivals Ranking: NR

P5 Offers: West Virginia, Minnesota, Kansas State and Rutgers (plus 8 non-P5 offers)

Official Measures: 6’1 / 192 (in March at The Opening-Atlanta)

Other Notes: Recently transferred to Cartersville where he will be a teammate of former target Trey Creamer. Had a very good combine performance at a loaded Atlanta Nike regional. Showell had the 13th highest overall combine number out of 74 DBs that attended the invite-only event. His short shuttle time was the 8th fastest amongst DBs, while his 40 time (4.65) ranked 13th. He camped at Wake in June to earn his offer. Before he was offered, he said that Wake had always been a “dream school” of his and that his interest in Wake went back to before he started high school. He had recently named Wake Forest, West Virginia and Kansas State as his top 3. From social media it appears that he is friends with Troy Simon and may have a connection with Mike Allen as well. He could be a safety or a rover for Wake. I’m guessing he starts as a safety and they see how he develops in the strength and conditioning program.

HUDL Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3986901/avery-showell

If they have solid offer sheets then the problem is with Rivals rankings.

Yeah. That's what I meant. Sorry I wasn't clear. These are both good pickups for the Deacs. Great film and solid offer sheets.

Though I'm a publisher, I'm not the guy that scouts the guys and assigns stars. If I happen to have seen a guy live either at a camp or in a game, there's a point in each year where I'm given a chance to provide input, but it has to be based on live eval, not offer sheets or merely wanting to see the Wake guys get another star.

I guess the point I was making out loud was wondering if Rivals is just behind in generally scouting the state of Georgia.

From the film it looks like Showell takes nice angles, which is something our safeties have had trouble with.

Many people find bowls meaningless, but for a program like ours so desperate for some postseason play, I do not. I genuinely hope this time next year we are enjoying a small recruiting bump from the momentum of a bowl-winning season, even if it is just the perception of momentum. Perception is reality. Get it done, Deacs.

Back