• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

yeah we'll have Big Mike Allen, Sulaimon Kamara, Boogie Basham, Emmanuel Walker, and Zander Zimmer to sack him. As iI said on another board - he won't be able to do much when he's on his ass.

Some thoughts on where things will stand if Monroe does in fact commit.

I think there would probably be 3 spots left. Maybe 4, but that would be somewhat of a stretch.

One spot has to be set aside for Mike Allen because there is probably a 50% chance that he commits to Wake.

There are no WR commits yet, so one would think that a spot has to go to that position. A place might be held for Mac Hippenhammer, but Wake's chances are really small (< 10%). Les had the scoop on Twitter last night that Ahoskie WR Jacquarri Roberson visited yesterday. I've predicted that both he and Justin Gibbs will ultimately end up at Wake, but now I'm wondering if the staff has room left for 2 WRs.

That would leave one (maybe two) other spots. At least until Mike Allen makes his decision. There is also a question as to whether the staff wants to keep a spot available heading into the fall. Regardless, it will be very interesting to see what position the next non-WR scholarship goes to. Could there be a scenario where Wake would end up with only 1 WR and 2 OL in the class?

Bottom line though: I think things may get reasonably quiet on the recruiting front.

With Allen commit - do you sense we are done with ships? My sense would be possibly one more ship if staff knows Cam definitely is going pro or they definitely know Rodney not coming back. Two more ships if they know both scenarios to be true.

With Allen commit - do you sense we are done with ships? My sense would be possibly one more ship if staff knows Cam definitely is going pro or they definitely know Rodney not coming back. Two more ships if they know both scenarios to be true.

Do we think Cam is going to go pro? Terrific college TE, but doesn't seem fast enough or block well enough (aka big enough) to be someone that leaves early.

Do we think Cam is going to go pro? Terrific college TE, but doesn't seem fast enough or block well enough (aka big enough) to be someone that leaves early.

I would agree. Wake fans seem to say this about any BB or FB player who's above average for us. Cam has great hands as a receiver but not exemplary elsewhere as you say.

I would agree. Wake fans seem to say this about any BB or FB player who's above average for us. Cam has great hands as a receiver but not exemplary elsewhere as you say.

Also these above average players seem to be good in things that scouts don't measure or track. Cam finds holes in zones which doesn't require a 4.5 40

I think that we are going to see a pause in the commits for a while. Best guess is that the staff will carry the (very few) remaining scholarships into the fall. The exact number of remaining scholarships is hard to predict for a variety of reasons, including greyshirts and other factors that you mentioned. My best estimate is that there are two spots left. That factors in Zack Wary’s departure, but assumes that Serigne and Rodney return.

The scholarship split in the 2017 class is now 7 offense and 11 defense, so you would suspect that Coach R would get to use the next two scholarships for the offensive side of the ball.

My Board has shrunk quite a bit. Here is who is left:

i24t45.jpg

There is sometimes discussion about Wake’s “biggest recruit ever”. Here are some lists to help with that discussion:

Wake Recruits With the Most Other P5 Offers (since 2010 class)

1. Mike Allen (2017) - 24
2. Rashawn Shaw (2014) – 18
3. Zander Zimmer (2016) – 14
4. Bo Archibald (2015) – 13
5. Dionte Austin (2015) – 11
6. AJ Marshall (2010) – 11
7. Bud Noel (2010) – 11
8. Ziggy Allen (2010) – 11
9. Taleni Suhren (2016) - 10

Wake Recruits with the Highest Rivals Ratings (since 2004 class)

4-star (5.8)
Mike Allen (2017)
Kyle Kearns (2015)
AJ Marshall (2010)

3-star (5.7)
Taleni Suhren (2016)
Sulaiman Kamara (2016)
Steven Claude (2015)
Rocky Reid (2015)
Rashawn Shaw (2014)
Kam Uter (2014)
Dominique Gibson (2012)
Tyler Cameron (2012)
Cody Preble (2011)
Allen Ramsey (2011)
Kevin Sousa (2011)
Ziggy Allen (2010)
John Gallagher (2009)
Michael Campanaro (2009)
Daniel Mack (2009)
Joe Looney (2008)

Have to think CJ Leak is the biggest recruit in history. Probably a 5 star in the modern system. I mean it came down to Wake, Notre Dame and Penn State and he goes to Wake.

Yeah 247 is new and progressive but I'm sure if these recruiting services existed back then, Leake would be the biggest.

I'm sure the counter argument would be "Leake wouldn't be a 5 star with all the 'experts' that exist now weighing in"

Have to think CJ Leak is the biggest recruit in history. Probably a 5 star in the modern system. I mean it came down to Wake, Notre Dame and Penn State and he goes to Wake.

James Brim could have gone anywhere he wanted. It came down to WFU and UNC, but UCLA, ALABAMA, USC, Oklahoma, Texas, Georgia and many others offered him.

Leak was ranked as the #4 quarterback in the country by SuperPrep.

Great to hear Mike Allen is joining a high quality program and university. The tape shows he is really very good with tremendous upside. Very big opportunity for player and school. He made a great decision. He must be a very special person. Welcome!

Other than Brim and Leak, has WFU signed a true high school All-American player?

Bryan Andrews was a Parade All-American. Think he was our first but I could be wrong about that.

Frank Harsh in the 70's chose Wake over ND and Penn State. At least a contender, we ran him till his legs were shot. The problems were similar to the last few years with the line.

Frank Harsh in the 70's chose Wake over ND and Penn State. At least a contender, we ran him till his legs were shot. The problems were similar to the last few years with the line.

Harsh was huge for a running back at that time.........about 240 lbs. About the same size as some of our linemen.
It was a really big deal when he came to Wake. Unfortunately, we didn't have the best supporting cast and we were consistently ranked in the 'Bottom 10'

Other than Brim and Leak, has WFU signed a true high school All-American player?

I believe Robert Siler was considered the best HS RB in the southeast and was recruited by pretty much everyone. The two best football players to ever come to Wake may have been Robert Siler and Rodney Rogers.

Back