• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

I don't recognize the website, but it's good to see Clawson's comments highlighted. His argument makes sense, but wasn't it him or Grobe that used to advocate an earlier signing period? I wonder what would be ideal in Clawson's view?

The June of junior year signing period is where I have a problem. The move to an early December signing would be good, especially for those kids who want to graduate early and get to college in January. The timing should be such that it hits the spot between the end of regular season and the beginning of bowl season.

As noted in the article, the June of junior year signing period really cuts down on the opportunity to evaluate players. It also means that a half year (first semester sr year)of academics that is currently available to coaches would be unavailable for evaluation, and under some school calendars, it would be a whole year missing - second semester jr year and first semester sr year. Coaches would also have to sign players without seeing any of the kids senior season.

This could lead to some kids playing way above their signing level. It could also lead to kids being pushed out by coaches when their senior HS season doesn't match up to the expectations on signing day. There could be more "coach encouraged transfers" with the player losing a year of eligibility. Player signs with school. Redshirts freshman year. HS senior year and first year in college practices are not what signing coach expected. Player encouraged to transfer. Has to sit out another year at new school. That would leave the player with only three years of college eligibility and he would not have had an opportunity to play for two years.

Some guys do a lot of growing and maturing in their 16th and 17th years. Those changes would have to be guessed at if June becomes the signing time. As the article noted, it is more about the coaches (somewhat less hectic time on their schedule) than about the players. Coaches could sign their class and go hit the golf course until time for summer practice.

Coaches already take verbals by June. Clawson took 10 in this class.

Coaches already take verbals by June. Clawson took 10 in this class.

Yea, but verbals are by no means binding. What if a player's position coach leaves, there's a scandal within a program, etc after the kid signs? It seems like there would have to be dozens of scenarios with contingency plans to release early signees from their LOIs.

Verbals aren't binding but it's rare that a kid verbals in June and the coach pulls his scholarship based on senior year performance.

There are dozens of scenarios but they wouldn't be any different than the ones we account for now with one signing day. Also, I think it's fine to simply have that risk baked in for signing early.

Verbals aren't binding but it's rare that a kid verbals in June and the coach pulls his scholarship based on senior year performance.

There are dozens of scenarios but they wouldn't be any different than the ones we account for now with one signing day. Also, I think it's fine to simply have that risk baked in for signing early.

I think the difference would be academics. The verbal is based on the athlete getting above a certain test score. That score for Wake is above NCAA minimum. What if Wake gets a commitment in the new world, but the SAT comes in in October above NCAA min but below Wake. Can we get out of commitment?

I think the difference would be academics. The verbal is based on the athlete getting above a certain test score. That score for Wake is above NCAA minimum. What if Wake gets a commitment in the new world, but the SAT comes in in October above NCAA min but below Wake. Can we get out of commitment?

Seems like we have a kid or two every year that decommit,s and then we hear the decision was "mutual". I have always assumed those were cases where a deeper dive into the academics revealed some concerns.

I don't recall Wake signing a player who hadn't met the academic requirements. I imagine that player would simply not sign in June but stay verbally committed.

LaRonji Vason might have been an example of someone ready to enroll, but was turn back in the end. Tylor Harris couldn't get into Stanford and switched to us. Clawson will adapt and succeed.

Wake 2017 QB commit Tayvon Bowers suffered a knee injury tonight. (don't yet know the severity) If you follow him on Twitter, send him your thoughts.

The Carolinas’ No. 1 passer, Davidson Day’s Sam Hartman, has thrown for 3,315 yards and 42 touchdowns. The passing yardage ranks him No. 12 nationally and currently 15th best in Mecklenburg County history for a single season. For the county, he’s 12th all-time in touchdown passes for a season. Hartman, a junior, committed to Wake Forest.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/high-school/article112303652.html#storylink=cpy

The Carolinas’ No. 1 passer, Davidson Day’s Sam Hartman, has thrown for 3,315 yards and 42 touchdowns. The passing yardage ranks him No. 12 nationally and currently 15th best in Mecklenburg County history for a single season. For the county, he’s 12th all-time in touchdown passes for a season. Hartman, a junior, committed to Wake Forest.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/high-school/article112303652.html#storylink=cpy

And we will force him into a read option offense.

Duke is 0-5 in conference. Maybe we can start winning recruiting battles with them again. Maybe the worm has turned.

Well at least we know there should be more competition coming in at the QB spot. And if I were coming in, I would be pumped about the opportunity because the job seems very wide open at this point.

Duke is 0-5 in conference. Maybe we can start winning recruiting battles with them again. Maybe the worm has turned.

We already are indirectly. I suspect Duke is very aware of Wake's potential upper hand in direct recruiting battles.

Back