• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Recruiting websites list Taylor Powell as 6-2 205; WF's roster lists Wolford as 6-1 200. Both may be exaggerations.

FWIW, Russell Wilson is listed at 5-11 and Drew Brees is listed at 6-0. If a QB can play (particularly in college), height is not a determinative stat. The best QB in recent WF history, Riley Skinner was listed at 6-0.

Last edited:
If he were a legit 6' 4" would we have gotten him? Who knows, but I'm just glad we have this talent in the pipeline.

Recruiting websites list Taylor Powell as 6-2 205; WF's roster list Wolford as 6-1 200. Both may be exaggerations.

FWIW, Russell Wilson is listed at 5-11 and Drew Brees is listed at 6-0. If a QB can play (particularly in college), height is not a determinative stat. The best QB in recent WF history, Riley Skinner was listed at 6-0.

Much of this depends on having a staff that can design an offense and allow the QB to be successful. Moving the pocket, opening passing lanes and being creative. I hope we get there.

Recruiting websites list Taylor Powell as 6-2 205; WF's roster lists Wolford as 6-1 200. Both may be exaggerations.

Yeah and Doug Flutie was 5'9" but had a canon arm.

Wolford looks much shorter than Skinner.

Wolford plays smaller than Skinner. He doesn't stand tall in the pocket, he has happy feet, and he turtles under pressure. And yes, a big arm can definitely help a smaller QB.

Some of those websites and official rosters have exaggerated heights and weights. Here is the info I have, plus some estimates:

Hinton 5'10 or 5'11 (estimated - he's definitely shorter than Wolford)
Wolford 5'11 or 6'0 (estimated)
Powell 6'0.5 (official measure from Nike camp last spring)
Hartman 6'0.5 (official measure from Nike camp last spring)
Kearns 6'3 (this was Nike-verified on his Hudl page. That surprised me. I would have pegged him at closer to 6'2)
Newman 6'4 (from seeing him in person, I think the height listed on the recruiting websites is legit)

I don't believe that we would have gotten Powell if he was 6'4. I also think it was the only reason that he didn't make the Elite 11 Finals. They took a kid who he beat out for MVP at The Opening-New Orleans but happened to be taller.

I also think that Hartman's height will keep him from rising very far in the recruiting rankings. No matter how well he performs, or what kind of stats he puts up. It may seem unfair, but more and more coaches seem to be acting like 6'3 is the minimum for college QBs these days.

Last edited:
Some of those websites and official rosters have exaggerated heights and weights. Here is the info I have, plus some estimates:

Hinton 5'10 or 5'11 (estimated - he's definitely shorter than Wolford)
Wolford 5'11 or 6'0 (estimated)
Powell 6'0.5 (official measure from Nike camp last spring)
Hartman 6'0.5 (official measure from Nike camp last spring)
Kearns 6'3 (this was Nike-verified on his Hudl page. That surprised me. I would have pegged him at closer to 6'2)
Newman 6'4 (from seeing him in person, I think the height listed on the recruiting websites is legit)

I don't believe that we would have gotten Powell if he was 6'4. I also think it was the only reason that he didn't make the Elite 11 Finals. They took a kid who he beat out for MVP at The Opening-New Orleans but happened to be taller.

I also think that Hartman's height will keep him from rising very far in the recruiting rankings. No matter how well he performs, or what kind of stats he puts up. It may seem unfair, but more and more coaches seem to be acting like 6'3 is the minimum for college QBs these days.

Always a chance that Hartman grows more. He's only a junior right?

Wake Forest will graduate 11 scholarship seniors. In addition, five redshirt juniors will be honored on Saturday. They are Dez Wortham, Taylor Chambers, Cameron Gardner, Ali Lamot and Julian Thomas-Jackson.

Factoring in current 2017 commits and expected additions (3) that puts my projection at 87 scholarships for 2017. That’s right on pace with my projection at NSD last year. The difference means there will either be some offseason attrition, additional redshirt juniors that will graduate early, or recruits that agreed upfront to greyshirt if necessary.

Is Julian Jackson for sure not coming back? He had a strong start to the season and would give us nice DE depth next year.

I know I have seen him on the kickoff/return teams. Not sure if on anything else.

I thought Wortham was actually decent as a frosh RB. Certainly better than Isaiah Robinson.

Is Julian Jackson for sure not coming back? He had a strong start to the season and would give us nice DE depth next year.

He found a niche as designated pass rusher in the third down subpackage but didn't earn a place on the 2-deep.

If Duke Ejiofor returns for a 5th year, the entire 2-deep at DE will return and be joined by rFRs Boogie Basham, Manny Walker and Zander Zimmer. Also true frosh Mike Allen if he doesn't redshirt.

He found a niche as designated pass rusher in the third down subpackage but didn't earn a place on the 2-deep.

If Duke Ejiofor returns for a 5th year, the entire 2-deep at DE will return and be joined by rFRs Boogie Basham, Manny Walker and Zander Zimmer. Also true frosh Mike Allen if he doesn't redshirt.

Wouldn't it be pretty shocking for Allen to redshirt?

Wouldn't it be pretty shocking for Allen to redshirt?

No.

That's not inside scoop or anything. Just basing that on the fact some scouting reports have indicated that he is raw technique-wise - at least going into his senior season. Plus, I'd put him in the same category as all incoming OL/DLs in that he would really benefit from the extra lifting sessions that freshmen get when they redshirt. Just because he has a very high ceiling as a player (which he does) doesn't mean he would be able to come in and contribute Day 1 at a position like defensive line.

Any word on Ejiofor's pro prospects if he leaves after this year?

For the 2017 draft not really, but the 2018 draft, he's grading out as a top 10 Defensive End.

He most certainly would be drafted in the top 4/5 rounds if he left this year, there is too much upside there.

It would not be absurd for him to leave this year.

Is Jon Abbate the only WF football player to leave school early for the NFL draft?

Back