• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Top offseason stories to watch:

1. Will Wake hang on to Mike Elko? He's frequently mentioned by Notre Dame fans and media as a good fit for the Notre Dame DC job.

2. Will Duke Ejiofor go pro? I'd be surprised if he has made up his mind one way or another, but man could we use him next year.

3. How will the staff divide up the 1st and 2nd team QB reps in spring practice?

4. Will Wake hang onto Jeffery Burley, or will he flip to Ole Miss? He hasn't received the attention from Wake fans that he probably deserves. If you haven't checked out his highlights, you should. I think he is a soft commit (at best) but I think he genuinely loves Wake. Too early to handicap how his recruitment might go. Wake sent 3 coaches to visit him last night.

5. Will Wake hang onto Mike Allen? Answer: Yes. Great kid from what I've heard.

I guess you could add, "will there be any other staff turnover?" to the list as well.

Burley was all in on Wake when he verballed.

Good list of offseason stories.

I'll add two:

How will the staff divide reps at RB? We are redshirting RBs with a different running style than Colburn and Carney. Does that change the running game? Will they get early reps?

Will the redshirting O-lineman challenge for 1st team spots?

What about Zeek Rodney? Any update on whether he'll be back next year?

What about Zeek Rodney? Any update on whether he'll be back next year?

I can't believe that I forgot about Zeek! I should have had him on the list. His Twitter banner and profile are all Wake Forest, so the vibes seem good. That will be a big story to follow.

Burley was all in on Wake when he verballed.

Good list of offseason stories.

I'll add two:

How will the staff divide reps at RB? We are redshirting RBs with a different running style than Colburn and Carney. Does that change the running game? Will they get early reps?

Will the redshirting O-lineman challenge for 1st team spots?

I think the bigger story will be the development of Gilliam, Osterhage and Benzinger. They've gotten their feet wet. This will be the offseason to make the jump.

Benzinger looked rooooough. Hope that is just a strength thing.

I believe Christian Beal is graduating from hs in December and coming to Wake for second semester. Will he work his way into the rb mix at spring pracice? I am looking forward to seeing both he and Arkeem Byrd in the spring game. Both could add the home run threat we have been missing.

I'm curious as to who replaces Watson at CB? If it's Amari, then does Bassey or Dionte take over the other spot?

94, I'll respond to your questions with, I hope they all are here next year. For Elko, South Bend is a snake pit for coaching, and Kelly has his foot on a banana peel. Ask Clawson about taking a job with a HC whose on thin ice. And a message to Jeff Burley. Coach Freeze has that program heading in the wrong direction. Clawson has us heading in the right direction.

Givens has the edge though since he left before the 2011 Music City Bowl.

My recollection is that Givens played in the MC Bowl. However, I agree he had 'left' the team as his effort was clearly to make sure he did not get injured during the contest to hurt his draft status. He seemed to be playing and 'hearing footsteps' to avoid all contact.

My recollection is that Givens played in the MC Bowl. However, I agree he had 'left' the team as his effort was clearly to make sure he did not get injured during the contest to hurt his draft status. He seemed to be playing and 'hearing footsteps' to avoid all contact.

"Played"

He also "played" the same in the NFL.

I believe Christian Beal is graduating from hs in December and coming to Wake for second semester. Will he work his way into the rb mix at spring pracice? I am looking forward to seeing both he and Arkeem Byrd in the spring game. Both could add the home run threat we have been missing.

I forgot about local boy Christian Beal. He is supposed to be a burner. There will be a lot of bodies competing for PT at RB next year.

Could be a slot guy in the idelette/Marion mold?

A current freshman redshirting, Greg Dortch, is a very intriguing prospect who is probably a slot guy. Very fast and shifty and of similar size as Kevin and Willie. I understand he was quite impressive in fall camp.

A current freshman redshirting, Greg Dortch, is a very intriguing prospect who is probably a slot guy. Very fast and shifty and of similar size as Kevin and Willie. I understand he was quite impressive in fall camp.

Dortch has wheels........shifty wheels.
He'll be our return guy next year.

Wake is supposed to have an in-home visit soon with Georgia Tech CB commit OJ Tucker (Ocala, FL). Tucker is hoping to set up an OV with Wake. He's already planning on visiting Maryland.

So add Tucker to the list of CBs to watch, along with Vandy commit Adam Sparks and Temple commit Ja'Sir Taylor.

Speaking of Tech, former Wake target and Tech RB Marcus Marshall is transferring. He was their leading rusher this season with 624 yards.

Back