• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

"We already are indirectly."

What does that mean?

Records:

dook - 3-6 (0-5)
Wake- 6-3 (3-2) :thumbsup:

dook- ???
Wake- ???

Perhaps, I'm having a brain fart, but recall our resident expert (94) stating that WF hasn't had many head to head battles with Duke lately for football recruits.

I know Cutcliffe coached the Mannings, and is well-respected, but he seems like a crabby old man at this stage. Would think that Clawson has a far easier time relating to recruits.

I do remember him saying that. But maybe we will get back into battles with Duke now.

You have to start somewhere. Their bowl streak is over and we are just starting one.

We will see in the offseason. We haven't seen Clawson recruit here with bowl momentum before. We haven't seen Cut recruit at Duke without bowl momentum since 2012.

Last edited:
After the Orange Bowl, it took us until 2010 to land our first 4*. Wake doesn't turn recruiting around so quickly.

After the Orange Bowl, it took us until 2010 to land our first 4*. Wake doesn't turn recruiting around so quickly.

In this case, you must consider the coach's mindset at the time compared to our current coach.

I don't think it's any kind of secret that Clawson is the better recruiter, so comparing the post-Orange Bowl years to Clawson is a poor comparison.

Some recruiting news and notes:

Coach Clawson answered a recruiting question on his radio show a couple of weeks ago and said that Wake wasn’t planning to take another DL in the 2017 class. However the name Victor Dimukeje (Boys Latin / Baltimore, MD) continues to be linked to Wake. Last summer the conventional wisdom was that Dimukeje would end up at either Duke or Maryland, but now the 247 writers that cover those two schools have both Crystal Balled him to Wake. Rivals ranks Dimukeje as the #32 strongside defensive end in the country, but I think he would be a DT at Wake.

The best guess for the remaining scholarships in the 2017 class continues to be 1 OL, 1 CB and a third spot that will go to either another OL or a “best player available”. The wildcard is 2017 commit LB Jeffery Burley who is being courted by Ole Miss and has scheduled an official visit for late January. If he flips, then you would think that would open up another scholarship.

Another 2017 CB offer went out this week. This one went to Temple commit Ja’Sir Taylor (Brick Township / Brick, NJ).

Among the visitors this weekend will be 2018 Tennessee ATH commit Alontae Taylor (Coffee County Central / Manchester, TN). Taylor is thought to be a soft verbal to the Vols. Rivals rates Taylor as a high 3-star (5.7). He visited Louisville last weekend. His cousin is 2017 Wake commit DJ Taylor.

Mike Allen will visit again this weekend. He also made the trip a few weeks ago. Similar to the 2016 class, the members of the 2017 class have frequently attended Wake’s home games.

2017 safety commit Avery Showell played some offense this year and had 14 receiving TDs on just 29 receptions. I think he will be one of the eventual standouts in this class.

QB Taylor Powell has a lot of highlights from this season posted on Hudl. I watched a lot of it recently. There’s some really good stuff there. He has such an effortless delivery. Before watching the highlights I had forgotten about how good he is at running the ball. Is he Kendall Hinton? No. Will opponents have to respect his ability to pull the ball down and run it? Absolutely. Based on his reactions on the field, it looks like also he takes a lot of pride in it. I think that Powell will have to add some more bulk on his frame, but that’s what the redshirt year is for.

For all of Duke’s recent recruiting successes, the one position where they hadn’t broken through was QB. That changed this fall when Duke won a recruiting battle with USC and UCLA for elite 2017 QB Jack Sears. However, Duke wasn’t able to keep him in the fold and this week Sears flipped from Duke to USC. Duke then flipped 3-star Bowling Green commit Chris Katrenick.

Thanks for the info 94! Just watched powell's senior highlights and you're right. He looks really impressive. One of the things I noticed was he threw the ball with such accuracy and when there was a defender in close proximity, he put the ball where only the reciever could catch it. He also is very mobile and accurate throwing on the run. Never appeared to panic with defenders in his face, which is key, especially the way things have gone this year.

I would love to get dimukeje and pull in another OL (hopefully one that really impresses with senior film). Will keep fingers crossed.

Powell is putting up ridiculous numbers at the highest level of football in Arkansas, very excited about him. Any word on other schools trying to get him to flip? Would think that home-state Arkansas would be interested as well as SEC and Big 12 schools thinking that a kid from Arkansas may be more attracted to schools in their region of the country.

Thanks for the info 94! Just watched powell's senior highlights and you're right. He looks really impressive. One of the things I noticed was he threw the ball with such accuracy and when there was a defender in close proximity, he put the ball where only the reciever could catch it. He also is very mobile and accurate throwing on the run. Never appeared to panic with defenders in his face, which is key, especially the way things have gone this year.

I would love to get dimukeje and pull in another OL (hopefully one that really impresses with senior film). Will keep fingers crossed.

He looks smaller than Wolford.

Back