• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Now Elko is reported to be close to a deal with ND. How do you expect this will affect our current recruits, 94?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is certainly some risk. Keep in mind that the strength of the 2017 class is undoubtedly on the defensive side of the ball. Think about Mike Allen, Chase Monroe, Avery Showell, Troy Simon, Jeffery Burley and Tyler Williams. Other than Taylor Powell, those are the guys that we are probably most excited about.

However keep in mind that recruits are usually closest to their area recruiter and position coach. Then probably Clawson himself. Wake doesn’t have any current commits from Elko’s recruiting area, and Showell is the only commit in his position group. Given Elko’s personality, I’d bet they all have a good relationship with him. But I doubt that he is the primary guy on the staff for very many of them.

The bigger impact would come if there was more turnover on the defensive staff. But if that were to happen it wouldn’t be because Elko left. I think this is very much Clawson’s staff (not the OCs or DCs).

Some Notre Dame people think he will bring either Lea or Cohen with him if he does go to Notre Dame, hope not.

we don't need turnover on the defensive side, but two replacements on offense would make me happy. Our biggest need is an ACC qback!!!!!

You always lose the one the one you love, the one you should not lose at all...... and Clawson shows no sign of dealing with our obviously broken offense. Deja vu all over again.

Clawson said Wolford played with separated shoulder last few games. Cam out for bowl. Had shoulder surgery but he had separation last few games. In addition Wolford played with bad ankle and ribs. He's healthy now.

Clawson said Wolford played with separated shoulder last few games. Cam out for bowl. Had shoulder surgery but he had separation last few games. In addition Wolford played with bad ankle and ribs. He's healthy now.

Wolford is limited no doubt but what a stud. Seriously, props to him. Tough tough kid! Glad he's in our foxhole

Some Notre Dame people think he will bring either Lea or Cohen with him if he does go to Notre Dame, hope not.

Good call here yesterday by sportsnut. Speculation that Dave Cohen will follow Mike Elko to Notre Dame is certainly gaining momentum.

Losing Cohen would be a hit from a recruiting standpoint. In the 2017 cycle there was a clear focus on recruiting the state of Georgia. Much of that responsibility fell on Cohen. Cohen was the area recruiter for most, if not all, of: Mike Allen, Avery Showell, Troy Simon, and Jeffery Burley (Hunter also recruits some in the Atlanta area so it’s hard for a fan to tell precisely who recruited who). Cohen is also the position coach/recruiter for Mike Allen and Tyler Williams.

On the field, the fact that the DL was one of Wake’s best position groups has largely erased the memory of how bad that group was in 2015 (save for a half season from Ejiofor, Duke).

The Cohen thing is still message board type speculation, of course. ND has to get the deal done with Elko first before any decisions are made about assistants.

Good call here yesterday by sportsnut. Speculation that Dave Cohen will follow Mike Elko to Notre Dame is certainly gaining momentum.

Losing Cohen would be a hit from a recruiting standpoint. In the 2017 cycle there was a clear focus on recruiting the state of Georgia. Much of that responsibility fell on Cohen. Cohen was the area recruiter for most, if not all, of: Mike Allen, Avery Showell, Troy Simon, and Jeffery Burley (Hunter also recruits some in the Atlanta area so it’s hard for a fan to tell precisely who recruited who). Cohen is also the position coach/recruiter for Mike Allen and Tyler Williams.

On the field, the fact that the DL was one of Wake’s best position groups has largely erased the memory of how bad that group was in 2015 (save for a half season from Ejiofor, Duke).

The Cohen thing is still message board type speculation, of course. ND has to get the deal done with Elko first before any decisions are made about assistants.

Wouldn't you think Cohen could be DC here?

So far this board and Twitter has surfaced the same name: Army DC Jay Bateman. Only name I've heard kicked around so far.

Interesting twist that Army is second school linked to the Wakeyleaks scandal.

Interesting twist that Army is second school linked to the Wakeyleaks scandal.

At this time, the only public link to Army is that it is one of three schools Wake played this year that has a former Wake assistant who was Elrod's coworker on staff.

At this time, the only public link to Army is that it is one of three schools Wake played this year that has a former Wake assistant who was Elrod's coworker on staff.

Joe Giglio from the N&O is reporting that Army was contacted by Wake as part of the investigation.

Joe Giglio from the N&O is reporting that Army was contacted by Wake as part of the investigation.

This is getting too interesting.
Wake is contacting Army because they have a former Wake coach who was friends with Elrod.
It's possible that Army could be one of the teams that got inside info (although I really doubt it knowing the Army honor code).
Meanwhile, Wake may be losing our DC and the primary candidate rumored to take his place is the current Army DC.
Need a scorecard to keep track of all this.

Don't forget that Army fired McCartney and their DB coach at the end of last season. Related?

I find it unlikely guys could get fired last year for cheating yet Elrod is able/chooses to continue to provide information to guys this season

Back