• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

it's nice to see the coaching staff is standing by the kid, too. i know we've been *trying* to upgrade the QB spot and it looks like competition will continue to heat up, but i think it sends a good message to stand by an early commit.

When Powell committed, some were wondering if we'd stick with Bowers and if he'd stick with us. Now Bowers will be in th same class as Hartman.

When Powell committed, some were wondering if we'd stick with Bowers and if he'd stick with us. Now Bowers will be in th same class as Hartman.

yeah either way it seems like he's going to have some very tough competition in his class, so good on the coaches for not just bailing on the kid.

Does that mean we have one more scholarship than we had originally thought?

Kind of. IIRC, we were/are over the number of scholarships that we could give based upon the number of seniors on the roster, but there are several 4th year juniors that are graduating or otherwise not returning next season. That said, there is not an exact number of current players that definitely are not coming back next season which makes it impossible to pin down the exact number of ships left to give to the Class of 2017. That said, the staff is still recruiting; so, it's obvious the coaches feel that WF has a few open spots left.

Last edited:
yeah either way it seems like he's going to have some very tough competition in his class, so good on the coaches for not just bailing on the kid.

Agreed. I hope Wake never loses the essence of being a special place. And so glad we can be proud of our coaches.

Kind of. IIRC, we were/are over the number of scholarships that we could give based upon the number of seniors on the roster, but there are several 4th year juniors that are graduating or otherwise not returning next season. That said, there is not an exact number of current players that definitely are not coming back next season which makes it impossible to pin down the exact number of ships left to give to the Class of 2017. That said, the staff is still recruiting; so, it's obvious the coaches feel that WF has a few open spots left.

Agreed. The most recent word we received was that the staff had three scholarships to give. One of those has since been filled by OL Zach Tom. My unofficial scholarship count is at 87. That INCLUDES the two additional commits. 87 is a very manageable number and very consistent with where the count stood at National Signing Day last year. The gap could be explained by either 1) forthcoming attrition that the staff knows about but we don't, 2) additional grayshirts in the 2017 class, or 3) additional redshirt juniors that don't have a guaranteed spot for next year but are going to compete for a spot this spring.

The public disclosure of the Bowers grayshirt doesn't change the number of spots. That had been agreed upon a while back (at least that's my understanding). However it's certainly possible that another spot may have opened up for other reasons.

I'm still expecting another CB in this class. The other spot will either be an OL or a best player available type.

Wonder if the rest of the team was looking to get kicked out of the next game.

I feel like an 18 year-old having consensual sex with a 14 year-old should not result in jail time.

You know it's bad when punching an opposing player isn't what will get him in the most trouble.

Zach Anderson has reportedly decommitted. Sounds like he is looking at some lower tier programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back