• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 NBA Draft thread - JC drafted 19th to Atlanta, OUR... Hawks?

Bigger risk? How? Just the type of players we're talking about? The Darius Miles effect?

Just saw the Spurs are open to trading Danny Green. Everybody is trying to make moves.

Bigger risk? How? Just the type of players we're talking about? The Darius Miles effect?

Just saw the Spurs are open to trading Danny Green. Everybody is trying to make moves.

I am fairly certain that Tatum and Jackson will be capable NBA players, even without a lot of development. Both have a lot of skills that should translate immediately to the NBA wing and the versatility to play a couple of positions right out of the gate. Isaac will probably have to grow into a role - he is incredibly skinny, a streaky perimeter shooter, needs to tighten up his handles, etc. - and has some injury issues that I know folks are worried about.

Kawhi greatly benefitted from being in a situation where not much was expected of him immediately. Just play some D and work hard in practice. There were also role models for working to continue improving your game. That situation on the Spurs also fit well with Kawhi's personality, somewhat shy and laid back. He could progress at his own pace without a lot of pressure to be "the man."

Yeah. Isaac strikes me as a bit underrated. In my mind, he is as good of a prospect as Tatum and Jackson, though obviously a bigger risk. I added some players above. They obviously didn't have Kawhi and Giannis potential, but I don't know if anybody expected Kawhi and Giannis to be that good as prospects pre-draft.

He was #3 on my big board for the Sixers

Love Isaac, been saying it for months

His defense is outstanding, so worst case scenario you still have that value

Best case he's got what it takes to be All-NBA

Hindsight is 20/20. I don't know how that can be emphasized enough, but hindsight is 20/20. Here are some of the justifications that I would make after following each of these drafts pretty closely:

Kawhi was a really undersized center who couldn't shoot at all and didn't have handles. He could've gone higher, but players like Kawhi and Giannis (to name another guy who actually succeeded in this mold) get you fired if they don't pan out. They usually don't pan out.

Draymond was an undersized power forward with average athleticism and a shaky jump shot. That coupled with the previous track record of MSU prospects, getting upset in the Sweet 16 during his senior year, documented attitude issues, and his age probably explains why he was down that far. I don't think he was worthy of a pick much higher than 20, though. (I also am not sure that he would be an All-Star caliber player if he were to play on a team other than the Warriors.)

Brogdon is kind of the same thing. He went too low, for sure, but he was a 24 year old rookie with average athleticism, a shaky jump shot, and questionable defensive upside given his relative lack of athleticism. He should have been a first round pick, though.

Isn't Brogdon an outstanding athlete? Sure seems like it when I watched him this year.

The list of guys with the size, athleticism, and skill to defend KD is very short. He would be a huge asset if he got to play him 3 or 4 times a year.

Isn't Brogdon an outstanding athlete? Sure seems like it when I watched him this year.

Honestly, he seemed like a better athlete this year than at UVa.

I'm starting to think Celtics take Isaac. I don't know why.

Also, Manning will be sitting at JC's table tomorrow night.

Come on Phil trade The Unicorn to the Sixers for the #1 pick!!! And some more if need be :)

Dennis Smith kind of reminds me of a young Baron Davis

The thing about Brogdon is that he isn't going to get much better. He won't end up being a top guy from his class. MCW won ROY after all.

Last edited:

What's your big board? Where do you keep it? What is it made of?

So many questions.

Back