• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

Probably nah, but they are building up a pretty good set of prospects. Maybe in a year or two.

I feel like this will be said every year until we make it.

If our goaltending situ was a little better I'd be all in. But I think we can do it. Teams such as redwing's (and Philly, the Isles) really aren't all that great

It's easy to forget how young Couts is since he's been playing in the NHL since he was drafted. Which we are used to with stars, but not so much with guys whose name you don't hear often. He's younger than last year's Calder winner, and only a few months older than the runner up.

I feel like this will be said every year until we make it.

If our goaltending situ was a little better I'd be all in. But I think we can do it. Teams such as redwing's (and Philly, the Isles) really aren't all that great

Goaltending will be fine...but they still can't score. They'll lose a lot of 1-0 and 2-1 games.

Snoozer of an opening day to the World Cup. Worse Sequin has a calcaneal fracture

Once again Team USA management convinced itself it needed a team of grinders to beat Canada, even bringing in Torts to coach, and they've already been shut out in their first game against Team Europe. I'm glad we have Team North America to cheer for.

Hartnett: Tortorella, Lombardi In Dark Ages With This Team USA Roster

For a team that was built to be big, bad and bruising, USA was none of these things. Oddly, Tortorella elected to scratch the player who could have set an early tone in 6-foot-5, 260-pound defenseman Dustin Byfuglien. If your plan is to be intimidating, then why is the best embodiment of that style of play watching from above in the press box?

It’s not just Byfuglien’s physicality that was missing. The Americans needed the offensive savvy and cannon shot that allowed “Big Buff” to record 53 points for the Winnipeg Jets last season. Tortorella also scratched 57-point winger Kyle Palmieri, who recorded 11 power play goals and 23 power play points (tied for 19th-best among forwards) for the Devils last season. USA finished its opener 0-for-4 in man-advantage situations.

When it’s all said and done on Tuesday night, everyone will recognize the folly of leaving Phil Kessel, Tyler Johnson, Kyle Okposo, Kevin Shattenkirk and Justin Faulk at home. This is a best-on-best tournament. USA Hockey did not bring its best collection of players to Toronto and never had a fighting chance.

Yeah, but how fun is Team North America? Pretty sure they will be able to handle Russia and could give Sweden a run for their money as well.

I hope we go 0-3, so we don't have to see future teams constructed in the same manner.

Team NA is so fun. Out-shooting Finland 43-25 on the way to a 4-1 win is preeetty good. I'd like to see them play Torts-coached USA, but I don't think USA is making it out of the group round. Hopefully they take down Russia tonight! (ESPN2 at 8pm, fyi)

What's going on with Nichushkin, 61? Is he gonna go to the KHL, or is this just negotiating?

Edit: Looks like Team Europe just took a 2-1 lead over the Czech Republic. 15 mins left. USA kind of needed Europe to lose, here.

Last edited:
Team USA is out hitting Team Canada 32-8. So they've got that going for them.

Should've found a reason to can Torts and let the Pens coach coach.

Oh whale, forza teams NA and EUROPE!

Team NA is so fun. Out-shooting Finland 43-25 on the way to a 4-1 win is preeetty good. I'd like to see them play Torts-coached USA, but I don't think USA is making it out of the group round. Hopefully they take down Russia tonight! (ESPN2 at 8pm, fyi)

What's going on with Nichushkin, 61? Is he gonna go to the KHL, or is this just negotiating?

Edit: Looks like Team Europe just took a 2-1 lead over the Czech Republic. 15 mins left. USA kind of needed Europe to lose, here.

Looks like he's gone. I think the problem started his rookie year. He had a clause in his contract to not play in the AHL. Nill doesn't usually allow that, Val had the threat of playing in KHL. He would have really benefited from a year in the AHL.

Nill wanted to sign a 1 year offer with a small raise. Val wants two years. Also seems maybe he doesn't like Ruff.

Gorg goal from Johnny hock earlier. Damn shame some of these guys couldn't play for the US.

And how in the samhell is Saad still <24????

NA really controlled play in the second. Let's see if they can hold on to advance.

What an insane finish to that game. Have to hope that Russia loses to Finland, because I can't get enough of this team.

Back