• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

Srsly. I was nervous as balls and I ain't got no dog in the fight

Yeah, most Stanley Cup games are amazing. Last night's game was off the charts.

The Pens DOMINATED that first overtime. You rarely see a team survive the entire 20 minutes of an OT period with the ice so tilted in the other team's favor

I think this will be a great Finals

Preds in 7, triple OT

Not sure if this one was a sign that Nash will take this series and PIT just got lucky, or that Nash missed a golden opportunity where they massively outplayed the Pens.

Leaning toward the latter

What happened?

Refs (and Toronto) called back the opening Preds goal on one of the worst goal reversals I've ever seen. Then immediately called simultaneous penalties on the Preds (one was legit, the other was an atrocious phantom tripping call right in front of net) of course the Pens scored on the 5 on 3. Pens went 37 mins without a shot on net and had 4 goals on 9 shots before the empty net goal.

^ wow. Missed most of the 2nd period and all the third. Nice comeback by the Preds. I thought they would uphold Nashville's first goal since replay didn't appear conclusive.

Refs (and Toronto) called back the opening Preds goal on one of the worst goal reversals I've ever seen. Then immediately called simultaneous penalties on the Preds (one was legit, the other was an atrocious phantom tripping call right in front of net) of course the Pens scored on the 5 on 3. Pens went 37 mins without a shot on net and had 4 goals on 9 shots before the empty net goal.
It's close like a lot of these calls, but his foot is clearly up, one foot in the zone, and the puck not across. Offsides...those are the rules. Not sure how you can not make that call. Gutsy to challenge it. The goal reversal on goalie interference vs Ottawa was way worse. ~1 min mark.

It's close like a lot of these calls, but his foot is clearly up, one foot in the zone, and the puck not across. Offsides...those are the rules. Not sure how you can not make that call. Gutsy to challenge it. The goal reversal on goalie interference vs Ottawa was way worse. ~1 min mark.

I'm just saying the angles that NBC was showing were in no way definitive, I assumed like most sports they would need incontrovertible evidence to overturn a call. That was not. And I guarantee Pittsburgh keeps that goal if the roles were reversed. Sucks for the NHL because I know casual fans that turned the game off after that debacle of a first period, last night hurt the league. Shouldn't be saying that during the Stanly Cup Finals. Not taking anything away from the Pens, lucky puck games happen all the time. And a win is a win is a win.

Maybe they should make players' skate blades a different color so its clearer.

Or paint the ice green or something

I know this might sound crazy, but hear me out. Perhaps the NHL and NBC could insert an artificial 'glowing' on various on-ice aspects (a skate, stick, or goal-line for example) that are under video review. The technology is there, and you could even apply it to the puck during live broadcasts - the reason ratings are so low compared to the other Big 4 is because Middle America can't follow the biscuit!

I know this might sound crazy, but hear me out. Perhaps the NHL and NBC could insert an artificial 'glowing' on various on-ice aspects (a skate, stick, or goal-line for example) that are under video review. The technology is there, and you could even apply it to the puck during live broadcasts - the reason ratings are so low compared to the other Big 4 is because Middle America can't follow the biscuit!
You mean like this? Predecessor to the first down line tech BTW.

Back