• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Fitness / Weight-Loss Accountability Thread - BACK FOR 2024!

I’ve tried a lot of different techniques for healthier eating, and so far, I’ve not found a better strategy than an early bedtime. Which sucks cause i like to stay up and watch movies when my house is asleep.
Sounds stupid, but if I'm feeling munchy, I just brush my teeth instead. That signals to my brain there'll be no more eating.

to the extent you can, keep junk food out of the house

makes snacking a little less appealing and makes the snacking healthier when it happens

to me, easier to have self-discipline while shopping/making the grocery list than it is once the food is accessible

harder when you have a family that may not be into that

Caveat: I have a shitty diet.

The times I’ve needed to lose some weight, logging my eating in an app on my phone worked better than anything else. Part of the reason why it worked is because I’m lazy so I ended up eating the same (healthy) things over and over. Made it easier to log.

I think intermittent fasting only works because it causes you to eat fewer calories. Similar to mako going to bed early or others brushing their teeth to not eat at night.

I eat all day. I start pretty much first thing with a protein shake (or donuts/bagels on the weekend). I rarely have a big lunch and I stop eating around 8. I also don’t drink much alcohol.

Works for me.

I also think exercise and how much you eat are way more important than what you eat (within reason, of course).

Completely agree. I'm exercising every day so I need to eat. I've noticed I'm eating less than usual for dinner partly because I know I should eat less to justify having a snack, dessert, or soda later.

I use the dry Sauna every morning. There is a dude that sits in here and pours 32 oz of water over himself. Drenches himself and leaves a puddle around where he’s sitting.

Am I out of line for asking him to stop?

I don’t think it’d be out of line to ask him to clean up the puddle with towel or something.

I use the dry Sauna every morning. There is a dude that sits in here and pours 32 oz of water over himself. Drenches himself and leaves a puddle around where he’s sitting.

Am I out of line for asking him to stop?
lol what the hell why is he doing this

1MKS0H.gif

Completely agree. I'm exercising every day so I need to eat. I've noticed I'm eating less than usual for dinner partly because I know I should eat less to justify having a snack, dessert, or soda later.
I average about 4 days a week. When I track my food, I do good. If I don't track, I end up eating like shit. And I'm a bottomless pit sometimes, like I've smoke a pound of weed and got the munchies.

This is what i do, though I’m almost 5 years marijuana free. I’ll just fucking go to town on kid snacks, ice cream, cereal, anything in sight.

I'm very bad about bingeing if I allow myself to. The fitness apps and logging food really help with that. Of course, as I think I've talked about before, if I'm really tight on my calories sometimes I sleep eat which is a whole different issue that I'm not sure how to counter.

This is what i do, though I’m almost 5 years marijuana free. I’ll just fucking go to town on kid snacks, ice cream, cereal, anything in sight.
This is the only reason we have any crap food in the house, and it also is what derails my healthy eating more than anything.

I build my own and track in an app. Depends on your experience (do you need a lot of advice about technique, do you feel confident performing compound movements), equipment you have access to (I work out at home, so everything I do has to be doable on a bench or power rack and free weights or bands), time you want to dedicate per week, stylistic stuff (for me, I prefer total body splits to something like push/pull/legs, and would rather more shorter workouts than fewer longer ones), and goals.

I like Jeff Nippard's youtube channel for educational stuff.

He has a fundamentals series for going over the basics.

He also has good technique series for most of the major exercises.

Saw this one and immediately thought of mako of course.

He also goes over some specific programming on his channel and has full programs on his website which can also be found for free with good googling.

what resources are you guys using for your lifting programs these days?
Check out Andy Galpin on Huberman Lab

Lifting doesn't have to be complicated. 6 or 7 movements is all you need.

1. chest press variation
2. overhead press variation
3. Hip hinge variation
4. squat variatioin
5. row variation
6. Pull up or down variation
7. Lunge.

supplement with core and arms

Sleep more than 7 hours
Recover
Get at least 1 gram of protein for how much you want to weigh

Lower rep ranges (up to 8) favor strength over hypertrophy. Higher rep ranges (up to 20+) hypertrophy over strength.

The important thing is to go as near FAILURE as possible. Leave as few reps in reserve as possible. It doesn't have to be heavy but it does have to be HARD.

This is the only reason we have any crap food in the house, and it also is what derails my healthy eating more than anything.
My doctor referred me to CoreLife at Novant and meeting with a dietitian has been helpful. My weight has never really been an issue of not being active, it's always been about how much I eat and shitty genes. God dammit.

Back