• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022-23 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Discuss you not see Howard go after that dude? He's got fire.

Penny has two NITs and two NCAATs.

I keep waiting on the exception to this rule.

I thought surely it would be Juwan or Penny. I’m sure it will happen one day.
Not bball, but football is basically the same. Deion would likely be the exception to the rule.

Guess that depends on what you think about Jim Harbaugh as a player and coach.

I can’t think of any great NFL players in P5 college coaching until Deion.

Professional soccer maybe has the best hit rate for star players turned coaches. Zidane, Deshamps, Cruyff, Guardiola, Beckenbauer, etc

Professional soccer maybe has the best hit rate for star players turned coaches. Zidane, Deshamps, Cruyff, Guardiola, Beckenbauer, etc
Sure and there have been quite a few in MLB history. I think DR’s main point was about them having the energy and drive to recruit which professional coaches don’t have to do. But I do not claim to be one to read DR’s mind. I would need a lot of therapy if I could do that.

I guess the verdict on Deion’s coaching is officially still out until he shows he can succeed at the highest level also.

I doubt he was better than Harbaugh in the NFL.

Notre Dame ain't paying a men's basketball coach Holtmann money. I would not be surprised if Kelsey gets a look from them and also Shrewsberry (although I think he ends up taking the Georgetown job after Cooley stays at Providence).
I don't think Shrewsberry is going anywhere. Penn State is going to double his salary and their run in the Big Ten tourney is helping with NIL which is their big weakness. New AD will get it done.

What did Steve spurrier make in his NFL career? 100k?

Anyone like, Juwon Howard, can show fight on the big stage. In college basketball, the question is how hard do you work in July when no one is watching.

It’s awful hard for folks with 50 million dollars who are retired to do that. I’m sure the exception will come along — maybe Deion — but that exception has yet to appear in college hoops.

The good news is GT will now be paying 4 coaches and still suck.

Spurrier was a 2X First Team All American and won the Heisman Trophy. He was the #3 pick in the 1967 draft and spent 10 years in the NFL (mostly as a backup).

As a coach he has a National Championship, 6 SEC Championships, and an ACC Championship (with DUKE!). He’s a 7X SEC COTY and 2X ACC COTY.

Will Wade already has 2 transfers committed from the portal.

Not wasting any time.

The key is an old and small arena with a young coach. GT went old and small Coach with a young arena renovation. They done goofed.

Spurrier was a 2X First Team All American and won the Heisman Trophy. He was the #3 pick in the 1967 draft and spent 10 years in the NFL (mostly as a backup).

As a coach he has a National Championship, 6 SEC Championships, and an ACC Championship (with DUKE!). He’s a 7X SEC COTY and 2X ACC COTY.
Ahh, but does he still have his keys?

What did Steve spurrier make in his NFL career? 100k?

Anyone like, Juwon Howard, can show fight on the big stage. In college basketball, the question is how hard do you work in July when no one is watching.

It’s awful hard for folks with 50 million dollars who are retired to do that. I’m sure the exception will come along — maybe Deion — but that exception has yet to appear in college hoops.

The good news is GT will now be paying 4 coaches and still suck.
Some people may be motivated by things other than money.

Back