• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-2024 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

I also hope Duke loses in round 1 to Vermont, but it would be awesome to see Houston absolutely dismantle them in the Sweet 16.

A team that plays physical, aggressive defense against probably the softest team in America.

Tony Bennett has said that he prefers his guys to pass up open shots if they are too early in the shot clock. That's just mindboggling to me...and miserable basketball
I posted about UVA players blatantly passing up open shots against us when we beat them in the Joel earlier this year. If you weren’t familiar with their offensive philosophy it would have looked like they were shaving points or something. Common sense would tell you that even within a slower paced system it’s inefficient to reject easy offensive possessions.

I’m fairly certain I remember 1 Virginia possession where their big man caught a pass in the paint with his back to the basket, and there was no defender, but he didn’t even turn to look, he passed the ball right back out to the perimeter. I don’t think he purposefully avoided taking an open shot, but he never even checked to see if he was open.

Bennett has missed badly on implementing a modern day Four Corners

Tony Bennett out if not for his 2019 championship season. More upsets than routs in the post season.

I don't think it's nuts. You really can't compare UVA pre and post natty. That year before, they shouldn't have been a 1 seed without Deandre Hunter, and they weren't going far that year without him. Since the natty, they have not had overly talented teams. Tony reminds me of GDub after UMd@Alaska won their natty and proceeded to rest on his laurels. Pre natty, Tony was recruiting well and getting some stud transfers before we referred to it as the portal. Tony has not recruited particularly well since then, and most of his transfers have been duds.

And this year was his worst coaching job. I again harp on not playing a top 100 freshman with talent in Gertrude, who played solid D and looked decent when he did play. Instead, Tony started Rohde who was a complete nothing on either end of the floor. And he played Harris, who is a good defender but was a worst shooter than Keith 'enifer. Tony has failed to develop Dunn as an offensive player. I get Dunn is hesitant to shoot from outside, but get him to drive more and back guys down in the post. That's a crime when the rest of this team is offensively challenged, and he's only taking 5-7 shots a game - mostly put backs and dunks. Tony started the year terribly defensively because he was starting Groves at the 5 when Groves is the softest 6'9" dude I've ever seen. They didn't improve until he started Minor. Their best line-up was Beekman, McKneely, Dunn, Groves and Minor, but that was rarely his starting line-up. Now, he can coach here forever because UVA will tolerate mediocrity after the natty.

Bishop, UVA doesn't play the Princeton offense. Against man, they mostly play the same blocker/mover offense he's always used. And occasionally they'd play a triangle 3 man game type of offense.
🥱 its boring basketball. Even when I was there for grad school. I went to a couple games. Its a snoozefest. Granted TB is a good looking dude and his wife is a babe.

What is the downside for skipping the NIT. Outside of the player's health. Why did Pitt and Syracuse skip the tournament? Other than pride?

Mich St. doing Mich St. tournament stuff. Hope nobody picked against them this round.
Izzo has a ton of NCAA success. He's also lost in the 1st round a bunch of times too. Big 10 has been dreadful in recent tournaments. Maybe that changes this year. Wouldn't mind seeing Sparty end UNC's season.

Back