• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-2024 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

FWIW, think FSU might take down UNC on Saturday.
Don't disagree. And FSU suddenly playing well is a problem.

As for UVA, they'll lose to UNC here and may lose to Miami and/or Wake here. But they've been atrocious on the road, and every road game except Louvul could be a loser. That's why I think 12 is about as good as they can do. And if they cancel the rest of the season, I want a rebate. But I don't expect that to happen.

FWIW, think FSU might take down UNC on Saturday.
I'd be inclined to agree with you, but the way FSU folded against them @ UNC gives me pause.

That game featured an even bigger turnaround than our game @ UNC. FSU had UNC on the ropes and then completely shit the bed down the stretch.

But yeah, UNC is gonna lose some games in conference... This one seems as likely as any other, I guess.

I'd be inclined to agree with you, but the way FSU folded against them @ UNC gives me pause.

That game featured an even bigger turnaround than our game @ UNC. FSU had UNC on the ropes and then completely shit the bed down the stretch.

But yeah, UNC is gonna lose some games in conference... This one seems as likely as any other, I guess.
The Noles are going to be 8 point dogs; so, UNC is likely to win, but FSU matches up reasonably well with UNC. UNC had a 30-4 second half run in that game, and still only won by 8. FWIW, FSU's defense is first in creating TOs; UNC's is last, but OTOH, UNC is #1 at getting to the line in conference games, and FSU fouls more than any other team, due to their uber-aggressive D. So, the reffs are going to play a big role in the outcome.

Another interersting game is Clemson at Duke. Clemson has had a week off after their best ACC game of the year, Roach is back for Duke, but was limited in the win over L'ville. Clemson needs a big win to get back off the bubble.

And the rest of the P12 tournament contenders

Arizona: 3-0, 2-2
Colorado: 5-0, 1-3
Oregon: 3-0, 2-2
Wazzou: 3-0, 2-3

Watch out for Oregon. They have two road wins, and they are finally healthy. Dana Altman's teams improve as they year goes on. They almost won at Utah last week.

Just looked at our old pals Utah and their PAC-12 schedule. It feels familiar somehow.
5-0 at home
0-4 on the road.
Utah's two games versus Wash St this year.
Utah wins 80-58 at home
Utah loses 57-79 on the road

Awesome ending to the Arizona at Oregon State game last night (likely the Wildcats last ever visit to Corvallis):

Starting next year, the Big Ten will only allow 15 of its 18 teams to their conference basketball tournament (which is a really weird sentence to write).

They'll still get bounced out of the NCAA tourney early
Personally, I think a smart conference would set a NET threshold that a team needs to be above or else it is ineligible for the conference tournament. Protect your bubble teams from bad losses!

*This would never happen for a multitude of reasons

Personally, I think a smart conference would set a NET threshold that a team needs to be above or else it is ineligible for the conference tournament. Protect your bubble teams from bad losses!

One of the tiebreakers (after head to head) for the West Coast Conference tourney is each team's NET rating. Also, that conference stacks the tourament so that the top two seeds have a bye into the semifinals. So, that scheme makes it unlikely that a potential tourney team will play a really low rated NET team.

The ACC may try an 18 team tournament for a few years, but assuming the membership stays at 18 for a while, can see the ACC excluding a couple of teams. Would anyone care if L'ville and ND were excluded from the ACCT this year?

A smart conference would flex a conference schedule to guarantee the top teams more Q1 games.

A smart conference would flex a conference schedule to guarantee the top teams more Q1 games.

Sounds good, but that would be really difficult to do for a myriad of reasons. Logistics would be a pain (when do you make these changes) and teams would be get really pissed off if they feel others are getting preferential treatment.

The schedule is already unbalanced enough and I'd like to think the conference season means more than just jockeying to make the NCAAs.

IIRC, the AAC did this in the past for two games in late February. Also, there used to be a Bracket Buster weekend in mid-February, where the best teams from mid-majors would play each other with the intent of boosting the resumes of bubble teams. Both ideas have been shelved, at least for this season. As ATS stated, think it was logistics related as schools are used to playing schedule that have been set for months.

The Sun Belt and MAC are doing a mini version of this. Games at the MAC in November that were on the initial schedule. And then MAC at SunBelt on a Saturday in February - matchups decided a week or two before that date. Maybe a chance for James Madison or App State to get another good win (or tank their resume with a home loss).

So we basically would’ve missed the ACCT for a decade. That would’ve gone over really well.

Would be awesome to have the ACC/SEC in February instead, or do it against another conference. Games scheduled 2 weeks ahead like stated above, put the losers together that have no chance, and let the middle guys take on some top guys give everyone some good games.

Back