• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-2024 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

Was looking at KP, who has them at 112 in SOS with us at 68th. Their noncon was trash aside form those two games.

Was looking at KP, who has them at 112 in SOS with us at 68th. Their noncon was trash aside form those two games.
They also scheduled an ACC team OOC, but it was Louvul. I was looking at NCAA SOS, and they were a few spots higher. We were both around 50. Funny there is such a difference. But the remainder of their schedule is murderer's row. And I watched some of their last 2 games and was thinking it would be tough for us to hang with Baylor and Oklahoma.

This is gonna sound pretty simplistic, but here's where I'm at...

Eye test tells me we are a very good team this year and could make a run in the NCAAs.

If we are indeed that good, we'll win enough games over the next 5-6 weeks to make the tourney and it'll be a fun journey.

If we aren't that good, then I suck at evaluating college basketball teams (and have a bigger Wake Forest bias than I thought) and I probably need to spend my time caring about other things.

So for the next few weeks, I'm going to do my best to not worry about "the bubble" and all that goes along with it. Will start parsing that stuff in mid-February when individual results from non-Wake Forest games might actually make an impact on bid/seeding.
This is where I was after the Louisville game on Saturday. I know that UNC is really good, but I thought we would have at least been competitive against them. For the first half, we were. But then we get completely destroyed in the second. So I'm not sure where we are as a team. I'm not sure if the long layoff between games is going to be helpful or harmful. I guess we will have to see which team shows up against Pitt.

The layoff will help us heal up a bit. Maybe Cam can get some PT and pain manage his wrist. Jao and Damari get reps. Everyone else heals up a bit. Both Sallis and Carr playing with thumb braces too.

I dont watch enough womens ball to understand why the hate for her. I know she is very talented, but does she act like jj reddick?
I don't watch a ton of women's basketball either, but I will admit that I'll stop to watch an Iowa game if it's on and it's 100% because I want to see her play. I was skeptical of all the hype over her scoring when she was first rising to fame so I started checking box scores and she is incredibly efficient. She does have some swagger on the court, but more like Steph Curry, not JJ Reddick. I know she had that little dust up with the LSU star last year, but other than that I wasn't aware that she had "haters" - most of the coverage I've seen has been overwhelmingly positive. As a father with an athlete daughter, she seems to me to be a great role model.

Paris also won only 11 games last year (4 conference wins) with an NBA draft pick.

Many of the ogboards.com keyboard experts would have demanded his head especially after losing by 40 to Tennessee.
You mean like we did after Steve Forbes went 6-16 overall and 3-15 in the ACC his first year??? :rolleyes:

State-UVA going to OT.

Omier had 33 pts, 10 reb on 12-14 fg vs. ND.

UVA is so bad. It's bad enough that they are coached by Scott Peterson. They are getting owned by Notorious BIG.

Was surprised to hear UVA has nation’s longest home win streak at 21 games.

UVA is so bad. It's bad enough that they are coached by Scott Peterson. They are getting owned by Notorious BIG.
The thing about Burns is, yeah he's easy to make some fun of him, but the kid can really play. Except for his height obviously, he'd get picked pretty late making up a pickup game based on how he looks, but then you'd be like damn!

Last edited:
Yeh he’s obviously a lot better that what you would imagine should you see him before game. A poor man’s Ben Coleman!

The thing about Burns is, yeah he's easy to make some fun of him, but the kid can really play. Except for his height obviously, he'd get picked pretty late making up a pickup game based on how he looks, but then you'd be like damn!
Agreed, I actually find him a lot of fun to watch

I don't watch a ton of women's basketball either, but I will admit that I'll stop to watch an Iowa game if it's on and it's 100% because I want to see her play. I was skeptical of all the hype over her scoring when she was first rising to fame so I started checking box scores and she is incredibly efficient. She does have some swagger on the court, but more like Steph Curry, not JJ Reddick. I know she had that little dust up with the LSU star last year, but other than that I wasn't aware that she had "haters" - most of the coverage I've seen has been overwhelmingly positive. As a father with an athlete daughter, she seems to me to be a great role model.
Agree completely on Clark.

Was at the nauseating rock fight last night here in Cville. What an ugly game. State did a good job on Beekman and taking away McKneely's air space, so scoring was limited. These games are starting to resemble Tony's 1st 2 years when he didn't have much talent with games in the 40s and 50s. I mean State had 15 at the break. And I'm just not getting why Tony is still playing Harris and Rohde over Gertrude. They had 0 points combined and were getting driven around frequently. Those guys aren't ACC players, and Gertrude has at least looked better on the defensive end than them in limited minutes. I gotta think the rumors of him transferring are likely true. And UVA will really suck next year. And I did ask my UVA friend about the NIL issue, and he said it's his understanding that they're paying maybe $1mil or so out to players, so their sucking isn't due to Tony taking a moral stand on NIL like Dabo.

Pleased to see Miami get the road win. See if we can get more ACC teams back on the bubble.

These days, it's impossible to assess a team's prospect for the next season until after the portal sorts itself out. Realize the portal has been a mixed bag for UVA, but in the past, Bennett has found future NBA players via the portal.

These days, it's impossible to assess a team's prospect for the next season until after the portal sorts itself out. Realize the portal has been a mixed bag for UVA, but in the past, Bennett has found future NBA players via the portal.
Tony's had some great transfers over the years, not so much recently. Tony has also recruited the HS ranks well, not so much recently. And this will likely be the 2nd time in 2 years where he has run a guy with ACC level talent out of town. Color me not impressed with the emperor's new clothes.

Agreed, I actually find him a lot of fun to watch
it's always fun to see an athlete whose body doesn't look like they should be able to do what they do. Kind of the same reason I like watching Norchad Omier. Doesn't seem like a 6'5" guy should be able to be that strong inside, but he is!

UVA has won three straight, and they have L'ville and ND on deck; so, they "should" be 16-5 (7-3), heading into February. There will be probably six teams (WF, Clemson, Miami, UVA, FSU, VT) gunning for two bids (possible the ACC could get five, but four more likely). Going to get very interesting.

UVA has won three straight, and they have L'ville and ND on deck; so, they "should" be 16-5 (7-3), heading into February. There will be probably six teams (WF, Clemson, Miami, UVA, FSU, VT) gunning for two bids (possible the ACC could get five, but four more likely). Going to get very interesting.
Looking at their schedule and how they're playing, 12-8 is as good as they're gonna do in conference. That doesn't sniff a bid.

Looking at their schedule and how they're playing, 12-8 is as good as they're gonna do in conference. That doesn't sniff a bid.
Maybe UVA should just cancel the rest of the season, but guessing they play it out. Will never underestimate Bennett.

Back