• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

The immediate impact on our ranking isn’t really the focus - we have to build a tournament resume and we have very few opportunities for Q1 wins. I would make the point again that our wins and losses now are just as important as the games in late February. Losing at State basically means we have to win 1 of the road games vs UVA/Duke/Carolina.
Sure. I'm just saying a loss @NCSU isn't like what Clemson did last night at home vs GT. Or Miami at home vs. Louisville. Missed opportunity, but not really a step backwards.

I'd say it also definitely makes the home game vs. NCSU very, very important. Gotta have a split.

That one hurt, a lot, no two ways around it. We have lots of opportunities left, but to be up 10 at half and let such a good one slip away is a killer. Now, we have to beat Lou and split @UNC/@Pitt which is tough. But you gotta do that kinda shit to make the tournament. We cannot just give away every road game, and one home slip to anyone but Dook is going to be a massive massive killer. We are not in a good spot, but we can play our way out of it.

My concern overall is conditioning. The guys look tired. Cam was dead last night, he gave us nothing really, a couple hustle plays. When reid and Sallis aren't in we regress big time, and they are frequently, and I mean extremely frequently, in foul trouble. Damari would be a big help, maybe Jao will. Bottom line is there is no more room for error. We have to win 10 of the next 14, which is a tall task.

Our remaining schedule with current NET & Quad rankings

The four quadrants are:

• Quad 1: Home 1-30, Neutral court 1-50, Away 1-75
  • Quad 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
  • Quad 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 136-240
  • Quad 4: Home 161-357, Neutral 201-257, Away 241-357

1/20 Louisville (232) - Q4

1/22 @ Carolina (7) - Q1

1/31 @ Pitt (80) - Q2

2/3 Syracuse (73) - Q2

2/6 @ Georgia Tech (116)- Q2

2/10 NC State (68)- Q2

2/12 @ Duke (14) - Q1

2/17 @ Virginia (63)- Q1

2/20 Pitt (80)- Q3

2/24 Duke (14) - Q1

2/27 @ Notre Dame (156) - Q3

3/2 @ Virginia Tech (56) - Q1

3/5 Georgia Tech (116) - Q3

3/9 Clemson (36) - Q2

Q1: 5
Q2: 5
Q3: 3
Q4: 1

The road games in Virginia. Must have them. And I don’t care if we win them both by one. Can’t have either of them salvage a split after we brutalized them in the Joel.

It would be great to get a win in Cameron and/or the Dean Dome, but those Virginia games are winnable.

When "we're gonna," turns into "we did" let me know.

Pitt has played 7 games vs. the top 136 teams in the country. Five of those games were home games, with one at a neutral site and one on the road. They are 0-7. The margin of loss in those games has been:

Pitt is terrible. If we lose at Pitt, go ahead and stop paying attention to WF basketball.

It really is nauseating. If the ACC could just be decent, we wouldn't even be on the bubble at all, be firmly in and if we won 13-14 games be a pretty good damn seed.

It really is nauseating. If the ACC could just be decent, we wouldn't even be on the bubble at all, be firmly in and if we won 13-14 games be a pretty good damn seed.
On the flip side, if the ACC was "decent" then we would likely be looking at 10-11 wins in the ACC instead of 13-14.

Yeah I was thinking that, and maybe true. Gotta play the games but I'd assume 11-12 wins would be better than 14 this year the way the acc metrics out

If the ACC was good though, Wake would have numerous chances of stacking Q1 wins just by defending the Joel. Suddenly you finish 11-9 with 9 wins at home and are celebrated because 7 of those are Q1. It’s exactly why the Mountain West & Big 12 resumes look so great.

At this point do you even bring Monsanto back as the season is about halfway over and he probably will take some time to get in bball shape?

Can he be redshirted?

At this point do you even bring Monsanto back as the season is about halfway over and he probably will take some time to get in bball shape?

Can he be redshirted?
Even if he plays this year, he would have eligibility next year, and he will be 24 in October.

Yeah it seems like he’s unlikely to be here next year regardless. Play him for whatever time he’s available as long as he can contribute.

Yeah it seems like he’s unlikely to be here next year regardless. Play him for whatever time he’s available as long as he can contribute.
Completely agree. Even if not until mid Feb because if he comes out like old Monsanto he could be the diff. if we are on the bubble as they will be hyping us up how much better we would have been all season if we had him for the full season and could make the diff in a few games as well as the perception meter.

Back