• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

For all the bitching during the season about metrics, Wake actually seem like metrics darlings at the moment.
Yes Wake has the classic metrics resume: blow teams out when you win, lose in relatively close (margin) games. UNC is the only blowout and we're winning by almost 20 a game at home.

Just get wins and tack on a couple quality ones and we're dancing.

Anyone that is actively looking over the last decade of results of WFU road ACC games is just trying to make themselves depressed.

Yes Wake has the classic metrics resume: blow teams out when you win, lose in relatively close (margin) games. UNC is the only blowout and we're winning by almost 20 a game at home.

Just get wins and tack on a couple quality ones and we're dancing.

What is the metrics difference between leading by 10+ at the half and losing by 5 and losing by 1-5 most of the game and losing by 5?

What is the metrics difference between leading by 10+ at the half and losing by 5 and losing by 1-5 most of the game and losing by 5?
If it’s the same number of possessions and same final score, I think there is negligible difference?

Sorry if this has already been posted, but according to the latest Bracket Matrix update as of this morning, we are in 2 of 83 brackets (I.e., of the 83 experts/journalists’ whose brackets are tracked by the site, 2 currently have us in the field of 68).

Preview for tomorrow.

Also, to this point above, that number doesn't really surprise me. Biggest thing was getting back in the conversation, which beating a team by 29 will do. Winning next two picks up steam. Taking a road game over Duke or UVA puts gas to the flame. Long way before all that, though, but getting back into the conversation right now is big.

UVA is up to #32 in NET. If they jump up two more spots, then Wake gets a Q1 win out of Wake’s win at the Joel.

Hilariously, if UVA is in a similar spot still when Wake plays at UVA, Wake may be functionally guaranteed a Q1 win regardless. Either Wake wins the road game for it or UVA wins and the previous game becomes Q1 for Wake.

UVA is up to #32 in NET. If they jump up two more spots, then Wake gets a Q1 win out of Wake’s win at the Joel.

Hilariously, if UVA is in a similar spot still when Wake plays at UVA, Wake may be functionally guaranteed a Q1 win regardless. Either Wake wins the road game for it or UVA wins and the previous game becomes Q1 for Wake.
In a perfect world we beat them by 5 or so and they keep rolling before/after us.

Interestingly, we're listed as the 4th team out in both Lunardi's and Palm's latest brackets. ESPN's Bubble Watch had this blurb:

For a team outscoring the ACC by the same per-possession margin as Duke, the Demon Deacons occupy an unusually humble rung on the bubble ladder. True, that margin was built in part at home by clubbing Virginia Tech by 23, Louisville by 25 and Syracuse by 29. Then again, no less a reputable opponent than Virginia received the same treatment and lost in Winston-Salem by 19. The key term in all of the above is perhaps "Winston-Salem." If Wake ever improves an away record currently clocking in at 2-7, this group can pop up in the projected field as if out of nowhere. (updated Feb. 6)

Bubble Watch - ESPN

as someone that never played high level sports, the home-away split thing is pretty fascinating

is it still ~3 points in Vegas for home/away vs. neutral floor?

seems like it's more significant of a swing in college but for the elite teams

as someone that never played high level sports, the home-away split thing is pretty fascinating

is it still ~3 points in Vegas for home/away vs. neutral floor?

seems like it's more significant of a swing in college but for the elite teams
More or less - KP has a Home Court Advantage and we are at 4.6 (3rd best in the country) - I believe that means we're 4.6 points better than a neutral court game, but I am not 100%.

The average there is right at 3.0 so I think that's right.

Back