• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

Any actual news on Damari Monsanto? The story from Forbes was that Damari said he was injured and couldn't practice, which is why he didn't play. We need a mentally and physically healthy Monsanto draining 3's and playing hard on both sides of the court if we are going to go "anywhere" this year. And by anywhere, I mean to the Sweet 16.

The First Four is not making the NCAA Tournament. Win your game in the First Four and you are in the NCAA.
But it is still better than the NIT. At least playing in Dayton gives you a chance at the NCAA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don’t have the full story on Monsanto. Sounded to me like Forbes was going to bench him merely for his recent play, before he ended up hurt / unable to practice. It would be surprising to me if he plays meaningful minutes again this season but maybe he can show enough improvement in practice to get another shot.

Keep the reason for the second half shit shows simple. The team won't play defense that wins basketball games. Forbes tries (?), but the team doesn't respond? What happened to the pressure defense we saw earlier in the year? Take the zone off the shelf and use it. Give the players and the opponents a different look. Attack. Sitting on your heels and hoping to stay in front of your man looks like sleep walking to me and it isn't working. If someone on the floor won't provide effort, sub his ass off the floor. Do the same to anyone that fails to sprint to defend in transition. Use every D you have in every game. Keep your opponent off balance and attack.

Having a staff that has been together for years provides definite advantages. It also provides an opportunity to become myopic and resist change. Same old, same old. No new ideas or innovation. No challenge to the conventional line of thinking. A new defensive coach might be appropriate. Whoever is in charge of the D this year is not getting the job done.

Having a staff that has been together for years provides definite advantages. It also provides an opportunity to become myopic and resist change. Same old, same old. No new ideas or innovation. No challenge to the conventional line of thinking. A new defensive coach might be appropriate. Whoever is in charge of the D this year is not getting the job done.
I agree with this but I don't see what this staff has to lose by trying something new. The same old, same old hasn't gotten them anywhere. Sure they have won a good number of regular season games but it hasn't translated into any post-season success, which is what matters most in college basketball.

Any actual news on Damari Monsanto? The story from Forbes was that Damari said he was injured and couldn't practice, which is why he didn't play. We need a mentally and physically healthy Monsanto draining 3's and playing hard on both sides of the court if we are going to go "anywhere" this year. And by anywhere, I mean to the Sweet 16.
You know our reporters on a certain site don’t do any digging

Wherever we end up, at least we have been watchable this season. Thank God we are no longer in the Bzdesert. I went a decade without being able to watch us play.

The First Four is not making the NCAA Tournament. Win your game in the First Four and you are in the NCAA.
But it is still better than the NIT. At least playing in Dayton gives you a chance at the NCAA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is my least favorite take on the boards, and obviously you're not the only person to say it...repeatedly.

I 100% agree that dayton is not making the tournament. Danny Manning never made the NCAAT. Gotta win that play in game to make the tournament.

I 100% agree that dayton is not making the tournament. Danny Manning never made the NCAAT. Gotta win that play in game to make the tournament.
and you would be 100% wrong.

If it's listed in the NCAA history books as an appearance, then it's making the tournament. You either do or you don't, and the NCAA says that the First Four is making it.

It's like folks who say a registered Democrat isn't a "real" Democrat. The only thing that makes you a Democrat is whether or not you're registered as one.

Personally I don't view in my mind that the First Four is the "real" tournament, but the NCAA says it is, so it is. We even get a banner and everything.

Wherever we end up, at least we have been watchable this season. Thank God we are no longer in the Bzdesert. I went a decade without being able to watch us play.
Only about half of the season has been watchable. Honestly pathetic you can just pencil in most road games as a loss.

I like the idea that coaching strategies, techniques, or motivational approaches can deliver an undefeated home record and excellent metrics while also somehow corrupting and preventing a team from winning road games.

It's particularly tricky in our case when such coaching failures are only occurring in the 2nd half of road games. And in fairness the minutes, personnel, positions, schemes - they've been pretty consistent in the 2nd half of road and home games, so the issue has to be a lack of creatively altering our approach in the 2nd half of road games now that we know we won't perform well given the same approach that has been 100% successful at home.

I like the idea because it would mean that all we have to do is make some minor change at the coaching level, and it's completely unrelated to our players or their performance. That sounds great. Sign me up for that fantasy world.

Or maybe sometimes you put together a solid tournament-level team, have a great plan and preparation, put everyone in a position to succeed - and the team simply doesn't perform. And there is no magic answer, no zone to switch to, no trick play on offense and no perfect speech to illicit extreme motivation.

I think that has us last 4 in. Which is Dayton. Blech
Totally depends on the ACC opponents, per Torvik, which may be overvaluing conf tourneys. For example, Win over Clemson, Pitt, or Cuse (double bye scenario) + Loss to UNC or Duke puts us anywhere from 9 seed (several) to last 4 byes.

The team just has no dogs on it.

Cam is the only guy who doesn't shy away from the moment when it's big on the road, and he's not the guy we need doing it. In hindsight I kind of admire the fact that he at least took the shot at UVA. Give me a guy who wants to be the guy, even if he fails, over a guy who is scared of it.

I don't like saying it, but we're scared of the moment, and expect failure on the road. We have no confidence, and when one thing goes bad, we expect the worst and that shows in body language, effort, hustle, etc.

Back