• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

i dont think nba teams care about sallis's college ppg that much. his job in the nba would be totally different than his job is for us this year. they will mostly like that he can defend and hit threes and has acceptable size for a wing. his lack of point guard skills means he's just a basic role player (i.e. no derrick white upside) but he has enough individual scoring ability to be more than a stand in the corner and don't dribble guy. i dont think he'll ever be a lead guard as part of an offensive set, but he can definitely attack closeouts. and all that to me is a classic late first round pick in 2024. obviously there are tons of assumptions in there that nba teams might not agree with.

if i had to do an nba comp, it would be josh green

Last edited:
What would be the minimum? 1 of those games and no dumb losses?
That's basically my thought. We need to beat Duke or UNC - or run the table outside of that - to have a good shot. The good news is our metrics won't be an issue. The bad news is we haven't beat anyone. It would shape up to be a bit like the John Collins year if we go undefeated at home and finish like 13-7 with our road wins being GT, BC and ND. That would probably be right on the cut line.

I mean winning out would put us at 24-7, 16-4 in conference and we’d have wins @Duke, @uva, and @VT which would all assuredly be Q1 wins. We would absolutely be in the tournament.
Serious winning out would also mean winning the ACC Tournament and getting the auto bid that goes with it. I'd be OK with that.

Wake has 4 current Q1 games left: at Duke, at VT, at UVA, and Duke. If they went 0-4 in those and won the rest, they’d be 12-8 in the ACC and 0-7 in Q1. That probably isn’t going to earn an at large bid.

I think if Wake can go 2-2 in those Q1 games and 5-1 in the other games remaining, that would probably be good enough. Would put Wake at 13-7 with 2 Q1 wins. The number of Q1 wins could also increase if UVA or Florida are top 30 at the end of the season.

Last edited:
I mean winning out would put us at 24-7, 16-4 in conference and we’d have wins @Duke, @uva, and @VT which would all assuredly be Q1 wins. We would absolutely be in the tournament.
Plus we would end the regular season on an 11 game winning streak.

Wake has 4 current Q1 games left: at Duke, at VT, at UVA, and Duke. If they went 0-4 in those and won the rest, they’d be 12-8 in the ACC and 0-7 in Q1. That probably isn’t going to earn at at large bid.

I think if Wake can go 2-2 in those Q1 games and 5-1 in the other games remaining, that would probably be good enough. Would put Wake at 13-7 with 2 Q1 wins. The number of Q1 wins could also increase if UVA or Florida are top 30 at the end of the season.

I think we can win at VT this year. They just really haven’t been very good. Feeling a lot less good about UVA recently despite beating the piss out of them. Their style of grinding it out and playing aggressive defense is just a bad matchup for us especially with how we’ve played on the road.

The real sting of NIL isn't just missing on recruits and high-dollar transfers, it'll be watching UNC bring RJ Davis back next year while we lose Sallis (if that's what happens).

We all know that’s what will happen. That happened before NIL.

i dont think nba teams care about sallis's college ppg that much. his job in the nba would be totally different than his job is for us this year. they will mostly like that he can defend and hit threes and has acceptable size for a wing. his lack of point guard skills means he's just a basic role player (i.e. no derrick white upside) but he has enough individual scoring ability to be more than a stand in the corner and don't dribble guy. i dont think he'll ever be a lead guard as part of an offensive set, but he can definitely attack closeouts. and all that to me is a classic late first round pick in 2024. obviously there are tons of assumptions in there that nba teams might not agree with.

if i had to do an nba comp, it would be josh green
first comp that came to mind when i read that was Avery Bradley, which I imagine most teams would be thrilled to get from a late 1st rounder

what?

this is his 4th season now iirc, with his first year being a covid year that gives hime one more.. how's he getting another?

Correct. He has 1 left if he wants it. And I’m sure he’ll want it because that always happens at Carolina. Getting great players that have no NBA future is Carolina’s annoying sweet spot.

Back