• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Do you think we could've gotten Calipari?
I am not as familiar with the tiers of college basketball, so this was a legitimate question. I would think that a North Carolina school in the ACC is a pretty good job, while Arkansas is maybe the 6th or 7th best basketball school in the SEC. Cal's daughter went to Wake for grad school, so there is a connection. Cal is definitely a much different name than what was getting tossed around for the opening last week. Was he just looking for a change or does he see something in Arkansas. I would have thought if it was just a change, Dallas or LA would have been more enticing options, so I am trying to understand why the move to Arkansas. Cal was apparently the 3rd choice of Arkansas as well, having been turned down by 2 coaches already.

Do I think Wake could have gotten Calipari. Well, Calipari had a 34 million dollar buyout, Arkansas has been to two Elite 8’s in the previous 5 years, they are paying Cal 8.5 million dollars a year + crazy performance bonuses, and the Tyson Chicken guy pledged a 5 million dollar NIL package.

So no.

Last edited:
Didn't one of the Perdue kids go to Wake? I see Joyce Farms out of Winston listed on all kinds of menus. Where's our chicken money?

Chris Perdue is Vice President of E-Commerce for Perdue Foods. He joined the company in 2013 in the Operations Management Trainee Program as a shift leader at the Salisbury, Md., harvest plant before moving to Perdue AgriBusiness as a director. He was named Director of E-commerce in 2019. He holds a bachelor of science degree in biology from Wake Forest University and attended the Institute of Advanced Advertising Studies program.

I just went online and bought 75 lbs of chicken wings.

I am not as familiar with the tiers of college basketball, so this was a legitimate question. I would think that a North Carolina school in the ACC is a pretty good job, while Arkansas is maybe the 6th or 7th best basketball school in the SEC. Cal's daughter went to Wake for grad school, so there is a connection. Cal is definitely a much different name than what was getting tossed around for the opening last week. Was he just looking for a change or does he see something in Arkansas. I would have thought if it was just a change, Dallas or LA would have been more enticing options, so I am trying to understand why the move to Arkansas. Cal was apparently the 3rd choice of Arkansas as well, having been turned down by 2 coaches already.

where do you rank the Wake Forest job among the 18 2024-25 ACC schools?

based on the last 20 years...not in the top 6 or 7

How do you know Oats wants it? He appears pretty happy in Tuscalossa. No pressure at all as its the football school.
He strikes me as an ambitious coach who wants to move up the ranks. I'd be astonished if he didn't take the call. KY is a top 4 hoops school.

The Arkansas fanbase probably has the second most hoops passion in the SEC. They love basketball, unlike Florida who has had significant success but still really just cares about football at the end of the day.

How hard do you think Pitino is lobbying for this job?

I don’t think he’ll get it, but I’d be willing to bet he’s let UK know he’s interested.

Kentucky's 2024 HS recruiting class:

#8. Jayden Quaintance C 6-9 NC (signed LOI)
#22 Billy Richmond SG 6-5 NJ (verbal commit)
#26. Boogie Fland PG 6-2 NY (signed LOI)
#46. Somto Cyril C 6-10 GA (signed LOI)
#73. Travis Perry PG 6-2 KY (signed LOI)

Arkansas 2024 HS recruiting class:

#45 Isiah Elohim SG 6-5 CA (signed LOI)
#72 Jalen Shelley SF 6-8 MO (signed LOI)

Im gonna laugh my ass off if none if them follow Cal to AR. They probably all end up somewhere other than UK, but if Cal ends up empty handed, even with all that chicken money, man……

Back