• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

Yeah he's locked up the 7 spot in my opinion, so we've got (in no lineup order per se):

Houston, Tellier, Kurtz, King, Rhino, Winnay, Morales in there moving forward who should be locked in starters in any meaningful game (most of them from here on out).

That leaves two spots left in the lineup, and obviously one of the nine spots goes to whoever is catching, and that's a bit of a lost cause. I like what Walter has been doing there with pinch hitting Nelson the 3rd time through the order, but at some point we may just need to accept Gill may not hit, but he's coming long VERY nicely defensively the last few games and just bite the bullet there.

Javar has struggled a bit lately, so we may need to keep trying to work in Willson/Nelson there. Not sure what happened with Salvino, and we haven't seen Jeter at all lately. Guessing that will continue to just be by committee, but damn it would be nice if somebody could pop a bit, otherwise just ride the hot hand.
From 2023-2025 it seems like we went from not enough OF to too many.

i am self-proclaimed #1originalTONYMORALESfan, mostly because of how well he performed in a short stint in summer ball in the same league Winnay played in (https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=morale004ant) and then a coach calling him potentially the next tommy hawke.

that said, i think it's too soon to annoit him, since his heater has literally been like 20 PAs. Cam Nelson and Javar had similar stretches early in the season. There were a couple of weeks when Nelson was getting on base like 60% of the time and at one point everyone agreed Javar would never be removed from the lineup for the rest of his Wake career. That said, I am of course optimistic around MY BOI TONY

i am self-proclaimed #1originalTONYMORALESfan, mostly because of how well he performed in a short stint in summer ball (https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=morale004ant) and then a coach calling him potentially the next tommy hawke.

that said, i think it's too soon to annoit him, since his heater has literally been like 20 PAs. Cam Nelson and Javar had similar stretches early in the season. There were a couple of weeks when Nelson was getting on base like 60% of the time and at one point everyone agreed Javar would never be removed from the lineup for the rest of his Wake career. That said, I am of course optimistic around MY BOI TONY
If you want to offload any Tony Tone Toni stock, I’ll buy it.

i am self-proclaimed #1originalTONYMORALESfan, mostly because of how well he performed in a short stint in summer ball in the same league Winnay played in (https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=morale004ant) and then a coach calling him potentially the next tommy hawke.

Good points all-around.

What's the deal with Salvino? Feels like we could have seen a bit more of him this season as well based on limited sample size.

Good points all-around.

What's the deal with Salvino? Feels like we could have seen a bit more of him this season as well based on limited sample size.
I feel like he was Rhino insurance which is unnecessary.

Yeah I know he's listed as a RF, but his OBP and BA seems comparable to the merry-go-round in LF/8th and 9th batting spot.

Did anyone comment on Zach Lewis pitching in the 8th for App? W-S native and spent his redshirt freshman season with the Deacs.

Sounds like he had trouble locating...

Did anyone comment on Zach Lewis pitching in the 8th for App? W-S native and spent his redshirt freshman season with the Deacs.

Sounds like he had trouble locating...
Yep, the radio guy brought it up and talked about it a lot, right before he said Rhino hit a grand slam.

Zach's younger brother is a freshman pitcher at UNC. Enormous kid...6'6", 265 lbs

Hell yeah boys. Jethro for boards MVP.

Seriously - you've got a drink (or 3) on me next sporting event if you're up for it.

Speaking of which - short notice, but Saturday feels like the best day for a boards baseball tailgate. It's Western, so we....should win? Let's chat.
I'll be at the game Saturday, but will not be able to bring the truck. What is the parking situation like? Last year we parked in the Gold lot, but haven't been to a game in person yet this year.

i am very curious about WALTS WISDOM for today's game

i kinda wanna see a javar, nelson, willson outfield with tony at 2b. give winnay and tellier a day off. and obvi morningstar starting

Is everyone good tonight? Looks like Bill has at least a 1 game suspension for his ejection last night. He's in street clothes and a young dude (#35 jersey) was hitting outfield fungo.

Back