• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

24/7 Thought Andre Washington Was Transferring....dey wrong

Either I am getting older or the level of physical development of our incoming freshmen is not good. Rondale and Wilbekin look young and scrawny. A far cry from guys able to play in the ACC so far as physical development is concerned. This whole Wilbekin is a step up from Mitchell is optimism at best. These days we bring in classes of guys looking like a bunch of Gary Clarks and no Jeff Teagues or JJ.

images

You mean this powerfully built Jeff Teague in HS?

The "back in the day when men were men" talk does not work. There have been plenty of great basketball players that were small/scrawny coming out of HS. Kevin Durant, Steph Curry, Chris Paul, Jeff Teague. When critiquing WF basketball going forward not overly concerned about whether Rondale Watson and Scottie Wilbekin look too young and scrawny. I am concerned with they have game, but not concerned how they look.

If he can get up to 20 mpg, we could have much better interior D. He's a natural shot blocker.

Yes, he is a good shot blocker but he is terrible defending the PNR. He is so slow to change directions back to the basket that he effectively takes himself out of the play when he steps out in front of the guard.

Manning is considered a great big man's coach. Maybe he show Dre some tips that will work.

I don't think he's been drilled on the proper techniques. If you remember, he was shown ow to do the little jump hook. He seemed to get the footwork and motion down pretty quickly.

From what I've seen, he seems to be the least coached player on the team...or it could be how intense and interested in the past.

Manning is considered a great big man's coach. Maybe he show Dre some tips that will work.

I don't think he's been drilled on the proper techniques. If you remember, he was shown ow to do the little jump hook. He seemed to get the footwork and motion down pretty quickly.

From what I've seen, he seems to be the least coached player on the team...or it could be how intense and interested in the past.

Manning has been coaching 4-star and 5-star big men at KU. Andre Washington is not in that category. I'm sure Manning can still help his game though.

Good to see the thread title got changed.

Who was that other big man coach we had who was supposedly going to really help our C's and PF's make strides? And then he left after like 1st or 2nd year of Buzz?

Good to see the thread title got changed.

Who was that other big man coach we had who was supposedly going to really help our C's and PF's make strides? And then he left after like 1st or 2nd year of Buzz?

Mark Pope, went to BYU I think after one year here.

images

You mean this powerfully built Jeff Teague in HS?

The "back in the day when men were men" talk does not work. There have been plenty of great basketball players that were small/scrawny coming out of HS. Kevin Durant, Steph Curry, Chris Paul, Jeff Teague. When critiquing WF basketball going forward not overly concerned about whether Rondale Watson and Scottie Wilbekin look too young and scrawny. I am concerned with they have game, but not concerned how they look.

1. The picture you posted was from May of Teague's Junior year of high school.
2. I concede that my memory may not be perfect, but my opinion still stands that our incoming guards look like little kids.
3. I never said "there has never been a kid who came out of high school scrawny that turned into a good player." The fact you are comparing 5 star players like Kevin Durant and Chris Paul to 3 stars seems pretty laughable.
4. Your post seems consistent with the line of thinking that OUR diamonds in the rough are going to disprove the rule that highly rated, physically developed players are more likely to contribute early, often, and into their careers. I hope our guys end up being players. That said, I think expectations, especially for Wilbekin, are unrealistic right now.

Are you really more pessimistic about Wilbekin because of a backyard photo?

I am as pessimistic as the next guy but for some reason I think Washington is going to give us productive, bordering on game influencing, minutes over the next two years.

I am as pessimistic as the next guy but for some reason I think Washington is going to give us productive, bordering on game influencing, minutes over the next two years.

Why? He was largely ineffective as a sophomore when he got a lot of attention in practice and had every opportunity to make a huge contribution. That amounted to 7.9 minutes per game (less than Overton). Next year, Green will be back finally. If he doesn't improve substantially, his minutes are not going to increase.

Are you really more pessimistic about Wilbekin because of a backyard photo?

It is weird. I wouldn't use scrawny as a description for either of those guys. Hell, given the description of Rondale's talent on these boards, I thought he would resemble Stephen Hawking.

Either I am getting older or the level of physical development of our incoming freshmen is not good. Rondale and Wilbekin look young and scrawny. A far cry from guys able to play in the ACC so far as physical development is concerned. This whole Wilbekin is a step up from Mitchell is optimism at best. These days we bring in classes of guys looking like a bunch of Gary Clarks and no Jeff Teagues or JJ.

Good observation. I could see how one would think a player has no game strictly on muscle definition. That Tim Duncan was a real juice head.

Why? He was largely ineffective as a sophomore when he got a lot of attention in practice and had every opportunity to make a huge contribution. That amounted to 7.9 minutes per game (less than Overton). Next year, Green will be back finally. If he doesn't improve substantially, his minutes are not going to increase.

Let's not forget that he was being 'coached up' in practice by [Redacted]- arguably the worst coach in ACC history.

2. I concede that my memory may not be perfect, but my opinion still stands that our incoming guards look like little kids.

Hmm... admits memory is not perfect and thinks college student looks like little kids... Yep, you're getting old. Next thing, you'll be yelling at those kids to get off your lawn.

It's hard for me to believe in the potential of a player who combines mediocre talent with an uninspired work ethic. Then again, that describes most of our bench.

Last edited:
Back