• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A Colorado Fan's take on [Redacted] at Wake

ultrabuff

Reaction score
Hello Everybody

I just wanted to share a few thoughts on the desire of many Wake Forest fans to see Jeff [Redacted] fired.

As you know, [Redacted] was at Colorado for 3 seasons before suddenly leaving us for the greener pastures of the ACC.

His record at CU (Big 12 conference) was as follows:

2007–08 Colorado 12–20 3–13 12th
2008–09 Colorado 9–22 1–15 12th
2009–10 Colorado 15–16 6–10 8th

His record at Wake (ACC conference) is as follows:

2010–11 Wake Forest 8–24 1–15 12th
2011–12 Wake Forest 13–18 4–12 T-12th
2012–13 Wake Forest 13–18 6-12 10th

The first three years at each school are pretty similar. Furthermore, [Redacted] "cleaned house" at Colorado the same way he did at Wake. He ran off at least half the team and replaced them with his own recruits. He has done pretty much the same thing at Wake Forest.

The year after [Redacted] left Colorado, the team's record in the Big 12 was as follows:

2010–11 Colorado 24–14 8–8 T–5th NIT Semifinals

Granted, we had a new coach in Tad Boyle. But the entire team consisted of [Redacted] recruits. Furthermore, two of the kids he brought in after "cleaning house" ended up playing in the NBA. One of them, Alec Burks, was a lottery pick after just his sophomore season. The other was Cory Higgins, a 4-year starter for us. Neither one of these kids was "highly regarded" out of high school.

Watching [Redacted] and the Wake program from afar, it seems to me that he is following a very similar "rebuilding" plan at Wake. He has recruited well, and it's only natural that a young team will struggle on the road as it grows and matures. The fact that [Redacted] beat two Top-25 teams in his third season tells me he's pretty close now to turning the corner in Year 4. I mean, he brought in something like 7 freshman last year, did he not? Wake must be one of the youngest teams in the country!

I'm telling you guys, you need to give [Redacted] one more year. The man knows how to evaluate talent, he knows the game. He was not well-liked at CU because he ran the Princeton offense that he brought from Air Force (BORING!). He also has a vanilla personality and comes off very poorly on television. [Redacted] is definitely not a "people person." But the man can coach.

At Colorado we don't miss [Redacted] much and are obviously thrilled with the job Tad Boyle is doing, but we cannot ignore the fact that [Redacted] laid the foundation for Boyle's success.

As a neutral observer with no skin in the game, I think [Redacted] will have Wake at .500 in conference next season and the team will play in the NIT. The Deacons will challenge for the ACC title the following season and once again become an annual participant in the NCAA tournament. You guys need to take a deep breath and let [Redacted] coach the team.

He will get the job done if you simply let him.

Yours Truly,

A Colorado Buffalo Fan

We'll trade [Redacted] and Wellman for Boyle! And we'll add in a player to be named later and cash considerations....we'll even eat part of Bz and Wellman's salaries...

So basically in 2 or 3 seasons , we're gonna be hella good. Soon as someone who can coach comes in and takes over for [Redacted]. Nothing new here that we didn't already know.

incoming.jpg

Yo, mods. Check this dudes IP. Is he registered from Colorado or North Carolina?

I actually talked to a few Colorado fans when we hired him who said the same thing. He was slowly instilling the right system/people, etc., etc. He could coach, etc.

Main problem is expectations here at WF are much much higher than at Colorado. Also those same people immediately said Boyle was a huge upgrade over Bz as early as December of his first season...

So where does that leave us? I think we want the same thing, point to Bz as someone who was brought in to clean house, but now its time for an upgrade.

Lots of good points made by the Colorado fan. I think this is why he deserves one more year. If he has a bad season next year, then he should be fired. If the team stays relatively healthy next year, then 18 - 20 wins is a must for Buzz to keep his job.

One thing you fail to mention is that in the year prior to [Redacted]'s hiring at Colorado, CU went 7-20 (3-13). In the year prior to his hiring at Wake, Wake was 20-11 (9-7) with a win in the NCAAT. He may have been rebuilding at Colorado, but at Wake he's the one that destroyed the program.

He probably posts the same thing on the Jets boards about Tebow taking them to the super bowl

Hey, I think the guy is right on the money and we should follow what happened at Colorado and after the last 3 seasons of Bzzz laying the foundation, it's time to bring in a new coach to reap the rewards. Our only problem is we don't another idiot like Ron Wellman out there wanting to take Bzzz off our hands.

Back