• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

JHMD,
No but Medicare is single payer and most of my friends, even deeply conservative ones, think it works quite well. These are people who are covered under Medicare currently.

Tricare is single payer. It's a disaster.

This is a problem, but certainly not limited to physicians.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...tor-can-tip-the-balance-for-a-brand-name-drug

"Evidence is mounting that doctors who receive as little as one meal from a drug company tend to prescribe more expensive, brand-name medications for common ailments than those who don't...."

I ran a rehab/nursing chain for 10 years. We had a hard fast rule that nobody, including me, could accept any gift from a vendor, including lunch. I was offeerd all sorts of shit - not from drug reps, but vendors of food, housekeeping services, dietary servies, laundry, etc. - vacations to Cabo, $200 bottles of liquor, Super Bowl tickets. I doubt other companies were as strict as we were

The endless line of reps pushing shit that my patients can't afford and likely don't need drives me nuts

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/02/news/economy/aetna-obamacare/

"Aetna (AET) said Tuesday it is canceling plans to expand into more states next year and will reassess its involvement in the 15 states where it currently offers coverage on the individual exchanges. It expects to lose $300 million (pre-tax) on its Obamacare business this year...

The performance of Aetna's Obamacare business is deteriorating as policyholders seek more care than expected, the company said. Pharmacy costs are a particular problem.
Aetna had 838,000 exchange customers at the end of June.

The announcement comes two weeks after the Department of Justice blocked Aetna's merger plans with Humana (HUM), as well as Anthem's purchase of Cigna (CI). Anthem (ANTX) last week linked its merger with its Obamacare participation."

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/15/news/economy/aetna-obamacare/

"In the latest blow to Obamacare, Aetna is vastly reducing its presence on the individual exchanges in 2017...The insurer will stop offering policies on the exchanges in 11 of the 15 states where it currently operates

UnitedHealthcare (UNH), the nation's largest insurer that is expecting to lose about $1 billion on Obamacare policies in 2015 and 2016, is exiting most Obamacare exchanges in 2017. Humana (HUM) announced last month that it was pulling out of nearly 1,200 counties in eight states next year. Afterward, it will only be selling insurance on the exchanges in 156 counties in 11 states. Others, including several Blue Cross Blue Shield companies, are also scaling back.

"It seems increasingly clear that big, national insurers are having trouble competing in the Obamacare marketplaces and making money," said Larry Levitt, senior vice president at the Kaiser Family Foundation. "Some insurers are still doing well, particularly those that historically served Medicaid beneficiaries."

Large insurers aren't the only ones running into trouble. More than half of the co-op insurers, created and funded by the health reform law, have failed. This means consumers in a growing number of areas have only one or two insurers to pick from."

I think that will leave Guilford and Forysth County with one ACA choice. Super expensive BCBS.

I think that will leave Guilford and Forysth County with one ACA choice. Super expensive BCBS.

Aetna will still be off the exchange for purchase in those areas. If you are getting a subsidy then BCBS will be the new benchmark in Forsyth and Guilford and should be cheaper than it was this past year for most people.

It is such bullshit that Obama gets to ride off into the sunset and leave the country with this mess. As much as I hate to say it, he should have to stick around in some capacity to fix it.

The truth is that we need single payer. Basically what the rest of the 1st world has.

It is such bullshit that Obama gets to ride off into the sunset and leave the country with this mess. As much as I hate to say it, he should have to stick around in some capacity to fix it.

I don't think Obama is going to just sort of ride off into the sunset. I'm sure he'll be plenty politically active for years to come, like Carter and Clinton.

If that is the case, which I'm not saying it is, then there were a hell of a lot straighter lines to get from A to B than via the shitshow of Obamacare. It is a complete, unmitigated disaster, which anyone with any ounce of intellect knew from the moment its details were released (after passing it, of course).

If that is the case, which I'm not saying it is, then there were a hell of a lot straighter lines to get from A to B than via the shitshow of Obamacare. It is a complete, unmitigated disaster, which anyone with any ounce of intellect knew from the moment its details were released (after passing it, of course).

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but there's really little Obama could do if he even wanted to. Congress sure as hell isn't going to cooperate. They'd rather watch it burn than try to enact any fixes. Political expediency before welfare of the people.

The funny thing is folks think ACA was written by insurers' lobbyists. Insurers are the ones leaving this because they are losing money. The medical providers are having record years financially due to ACA. Their lobbyists wrote the law. Want to see doctors and hospitals howl? Offer cancelling the ACA and just expanding Medicare and Medicaid like they should have done in the first place. Their margins on Medicare/aid are low. Of course, you'd have to raise taxes to fund expanded Medicare/aid. No politician wants to do that, so lets make a system that makes insurers raise their rates and protect the providers margins.

Back