• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

Explain, not challenging your assertion. You are closer to this. Would like to know more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My main issue is the amount of control the government/IRS has over the premium determination. Say the consumer retires in November, is going to make half their current income next year. The initial premiums come in at like $100 a month. Then the government behind the scenes, sees a recent tax return with higher income, and the next months premium bill goes to like $800 a month. Good luck proving you know more about your income situation than they do.

The funny thing is folks think ACA was written by insurers' lobbyists. Insurers are the ones leaving this because they are losing money. The medical providers are having record years financially due to ACA. Their lobbyists wrote the law. Want to see doctors and hospitals howl? Offer cancelling the ACA and just expanding Medicare and Medicaid like they should have done in the first place. Their margins on Medicare/aid are low. Of course, you'd have to raise taxes to fund expanded Medicare/aid. No politician wants to do that, so lets make a system that makes insurers raise their rates and protect the providers margins.
To awaken's point: http://morningconsult.com/alert/cms-investigating-providers-steered-patients-away-public-insurance-programs/

Explain, not challenging your assertion. You are closer to this. Would like to know more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The law defers to the Secretary of HHS for a lot of things. Guidance comes out...Id bet we have had 100,000 pages of guidance, probably a lot more (I read the "summaries: which can be 50 pages at a clip.

This is where the workings of the whole thing are set. Rules. Regs. Interpretations. The real law was implemented by the HHS, DOL and IRS.

Despite its length, the ACA only laid a basic framework. The law is really made by the agencies.

This isn't unique to the ACA. Many laws are written in this way.

I kind of laugh when people blame Congress for not fixing the ACA. HHS can fix a big chunk of it but wont.

The law defers to the Secretary of HHS for a lot of things. Guidance comes out...Id bet we have had 100,000 pages of guidance, probably a lot more (I read the "summaries: which can be 50 pages at a clip.

This is where the workings of the whole thing are set. Rules. Regs. Interpretations. The real law was implemented by the HHS, DOL and IRS.

Despite its length, the ACA only laid a basic framework. The law is really made by the agencies.

I kind of laugh when people blame Congress for not fixing the ACA. HHS can fix a big chunk of it but wont.

Good God. Bureaucratic nightmare at it's finest. There is no fixing that monstrosity. Somebody needs to shoot it.

Interesting. Why do you think that is the case? HHS isn't a political organization by design so it doesn't have any real incentive to keep the system broken that I can see. What gives? Thanks for your comments on this thread by the way. I learn a lot from your posts.

Interesting. Why do you think that is the case? HHS isn't a political organization by design so it doesn't have any real incentive to keep the system broken that I can see. What gives? Thanks for your comments on this thread by the way. I learn a lot from your posts.

It's an administrative agency under Obama's direct control, and he appoints its Secretary and Deputy Secretary. No surprise their mandate has been to screw it up even further in an attempt to salvage his image.

Met with an insurance agent that does small business group plans. Now that BCBS is the only individual game in the town, this is now a no-brainer. Bye bye ACA!!!!!

Met with an insurance agent that does small business group plans. Now that BCBS is the only individual game in the town, this is now a no-brainer. Bye bye ACA!!!!!

Small Group Plans have to comply with ACA guidelines just like individual plans.

Small Group Plans have to comply with ACA guidelines just like individual plans.

That's fine. I am saying bye bye to the ACA individual market where all of the high risk participants are driving premiums through the roof.

The rest of the world has figured it out pretty well. If we don't get things sorted before the obese, type II diabetic, baby boomers start hitting their life expediencies, we're fooked.

What a shitshow. But hey, let's elect someone who will continue and probably double-down on this nonsense. It is really unfathomable that we've managed to find two candidates who are somehow able to be viewed worse than Obama.

Just straight up over turning it now won't fly, it needs some serious fixes but with the way government is working that will never happen.

Health care in this country is destroying lives. A double digit increase is completely unacceptable.

Back