• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Football Coaching Jobs Ranked - 2015 Edition

Obviously Duke has the perception of being best academic school, Wake is near the top..... Clawson is doing an awesome job!!! Go Deacs!!!

We're use to being on the bottom of everyone's list. Nothing unusual here. Only long term consistent winning will change this. I once thought our AD had a mind to change this long term but he quit on the idea many years ago. Now he goes for the competition medal.

Looks like an extremely unbiased group of voters......

LOL.

"The Demon Deacons have posted three winning seasons in a row only once (2006-08) since the early 1950s."

Reality is just right out the window here. Give me the name of one other school in the history of power-conference football that went more than 60 years with only one 3-year winning streak....then turned everything around and had a "long term consistent winning football program."

Without researching, I'd guess that South Carolina fits in here if you consider lately as success.

Ok then. It was just a thought. A lot of those years were as an independent though so was the schedule really lax?

I guess the question is what exactly makes the best job. If you want reasonable security, low expectations, chance to coach good kids that actually go to class then i think wake is a pretty decent gig. Clawson will have 5 years at least to figure this shit out.

GA Tech from 1967 to 1997 had one stretch of three winning seasons in a row from 1989 - 1991.

Last edited:
UNC hasn't sniffed the results of Wake since the first ACC expansion.

I think the poll is mis-labeled. It is not really ranking best and worst jobs - it is ranking easiest and hardest places to win. As others have stated, Wake is actually a pretty good job. Make plenty of money and as long as you win 6 games, with a 7 or 8 win season thrown in every 2-3 years, people will love you.

And, I think it is a little lazy to say there is nothing to set us apart. We are easily the smallest school in the conference and one of the smallest in the country to play Div. 1 football. If you are looking for a small, cozy environment, a beautiful campus and elite-level academics, there aren't many other places like Wake.

I think the poll is mis-labeled. It is not really ranking best and worst jobs - it is ranking easiest and hardest places to win. As others have stated, Wake is actually a pretty good job. Make plenty of money and as long as you win 6 games, with a 7 or 8 win season thrown in every 2-3 years, people will love you.

With this lens I think we come out ahead over BC and Syracuse.

Obviously we are still towards the back of the conference, and I think most people's expectations align with that.

GA Tech from 1947 to 1997 had one stretch of three winning seasons in a row from 1989 - 1991.

1952 and 1990 National Championships say shut the fuck up with your nonsense.

Hell, GT played in 5 "BCS" bowls in a row at one point in that period ... 3x Sugar, 1x Orange, 1x Cotton in 1951-1955.

Northwestern hasn't had three winning seasons in a row since 1960 when they went 5-4, 6-3, 5-4.

Back