• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Football Coaching Jobs Ranked - 2015 Edition

Side note - things have changed a ton for the ACC. At the time, GT couldn't play Colorado in a bowl game since the conference was obligated to send them to the Citrus Bowl (seriously, the Citrus Bowl - that was the best the ACC could lock down).

Bill Snyder is a warlock. What he's done at KSU is utterly remarkable - Wake has a far better situation than KSU does in terms of local talent, access to major metro areas, interesting rivalries, etc. KSU has literally nothing. I have no clue how he managed to build that into a strong program.

The difference is that the powers that be at K State decided they wanted to be good. The powers that be at Wake only want to not be horrible. That's perhaps a bit of an overstatement, but Wake will never be consistently good unless the administration, top to bottom, decides being consistently good is a priority. Wake is in a tough spot. We aren't good enough in sports to develop a crossover brand, and because we don't have that brand, it's harder to recruit. Clawson and crew seem to at least understand the value and methods to marketing in 2015, which is at least a start.

As an aside, the speaker before me at a recent corporate conference was a branding guy. I only caught part of it, but the gist of it was that traditional marketing is almost useless on younger people. They tune it completely out. It's all social media and word of mouth based now. I don't have the slides in front of me, but he had a ton of empirical information backing this up.

I think Wake has been a little slow to get on the modern marketing bandwagon.

The difference is that the powers that be at K State decided they wanted to be good. The powers that be at Wake only want to not be horrible. That's perhaps a bit of an overstatement, but Wake will never be consistently good unless the administration, top to bottom, decides being consistently good is a priority.

The administration at Wake, top to bottom, wants athletic excellence. This is why they made Jim Grobe one of the highest paid coaches in the country for several years, this is why they fired the best football coach in school history when he lost his competitive edge, and this is why they hired Coach Clawson, a proven winner at every school he has coached. Wellman screwed up big time by hiring [Redacted], but Wake hired Manning because he has a history of winning and the administration thinks he can win championships at Wake.

this is why they fired the best football coach in school history when he lost his competitive edge,

Replace "when" with "several years after" and you get a more accurate statement that no longer supports your thesis.

Rafi, can you just come clean with your affiliation to the AD? kthanks

The administration at Wake, top to bottom, wants athletic excellence.

giphy.gif

The administration at Wake, top to bottom, is not good at getting what they want.

I think the administration at Wake, top to bottom, just wants to keep their cushy jobs.

The difference is that the powers that be at K State decided they wanted to be good. The powers that be at Wake only want to not be horrible. That's perhaps a bit of an overstatement, but Wake will never be consistently good unless the administration, top to bottom, decides being consistently good is a priority. Wake is in a tough spot. We aren't good enough in sports to develop a crossover brand, and because we don't have that brand, it's harder to recruit. Clawson and crew seem to at least understand the value and methods to marketing in 2015, which is at least a start.

As an aside, the speaker before me at a recent corporate conference was a branding guy. I only caught part of it, but the gist of it was that traditional marketing is almost useless on younger people. They tune it completely out. It's all social media and word of mouth based now. I don't have the slides in front of me, but he had a ton of empirical information backing this up.

I think Wake has been a little slow to get on the modern marketing bandwagon.

Agree 100 percent.

Of course the administration wants athletic excellence. What administration doesn't? The problem is that they're not willing, or don't know how, to do what it takes to achieve it.

A thought on Snyder: He acted like a father (or grandfather/patriarch) figure to many... players & their family alike fell like they could trust him. Like a Lou Holtz... a different type of recruiting tactic than a younger coach could do, but extremely effective if used correctly.

Why does BKF hate on Wake so much? I thought he was a fan?

He hates Wake because he loves Carl Tacy. Maybe not as much as he loves Bobby Knight but enough to cause him to turn on the school that did his man wrong.

The administration at Wake, top to bottom, wants athletic excellence. This is why they made Jim Grobe one of the highest paid coaches in the country for several years, this is why they fired the best football coach in school history when he lost his competitive edge, and this is why they hired Coach Clawson, a proven winner at every school he has coached. Wellman screwed up big time by hiring [Redacted], but Wake hired Manning because he has a history of winning and the administration thinks he can win championships at Wake.

Ron Wellman has screwed up many times over by hiring an entire litany of coaches not worth their salt on the coaching floors, fields, pitch or whatever you want to call it. Go back to the hiring in the early days of Jim Caldwell, Mike Petersen, Jeff name redacted [Redacted], Rick Rembielak. Many were nice people just not good coaches. His saving grace was a few good years with Skip Prosser and a great run by Jim Grobe. But in the early 2010's the coliseum became empty and old Groves was half full. ACC TV money has kept us alive. He is trying to save face now by having hired Dave Clawson and Danny Manning and hanging on long enough to see them win. Only by that will he have any legacy to leave Dear old Wake Forest because he should have been forced out just on his hiring of Jeff name redacted [Redacted] alone. We are on the right track now to spite our athletic director.

Ron Wellman has screwed up many times over by hiring an entire litany of coaches not worth their salt on the coaching floors, fields, pitch or whatever you want to call it. Go back to the hiring in the early days of Jim Caldwell, Mike Petersen, Jeff name redacted [Redacted], Rick Rembielak. Many were nice people just not good coaches. His saving grace was a few good years with Skip Prosser and a great run by Jim Grobe. But in the early 2010's the coliseum became empty and old Groves was half full. ACC TV money has kept us alive. He is trying to save face now by having hired Dave Clawson and Danny Manning and hanging on long enough to see them win. Only by that will he have any legacy to leave Dear old Wake Forest because he should have been forced out just on his hiring of Jeff name redacted [Redacted] alone. We are on the right track now to spite our athletic director.

Half full?

The administration at Wake, top to bottom, is not good at getting what they want.

I think the administration at Wake, top to bottom, just wants to keep their cushy jobs.

Pretty much right on target, especially in sports. Too much effort needed to be come competitive (unless qualified by "historically"). Wake as a country club works out for a lot of people in administration, athletic and otherwise.

Back