• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Are Clawson and Ed Hardin right? Wake Football needs ASU series?

Thank you Ed Hardin and Dave Clawson; my sentiments exactly. Grobe was right to drop it when ASU was in FCS, but the time is right to amp it up again. The novelty of this being the first year and in Boone has a lot to do with it, but regardless of ESPN tie-ins, this game and not Duke/UNC or FSU/NCSU is the one getting the most buzz this week between Murphy and Manteo. I'm just glad were getting first dibs going up the mountain before the' Holes do so in 2022.

I have no idea what you're talking about wrt this game getting a lot of buzz this week in NC. Wake fans I know are more interested in talking about basketball recruiting than this football game. Anyone Wake fan I've brought it up to just shakes their head like "WTF are we doing ?"

Now that Appy State is an FBS program with a solid reputation, I can see the wisdom in playing them from time to time. I would prefer not traveling to Boone to play them though. I wouldn't mind seeing ECU back on the schedule either.

I don't believe we should ever schedule an FCS school. Those games do not make us better and they are a waste of time. We're better off having an intrasquad scrimmage that Saturday. I'm certainly not showing up in person to watch us beat Presby or Elon 70-0 and definitely not on a Thursday night.

What does your ideal 4 game OOC schedule look like?

I am fine with playing an FCS team for the following reasons:

1. It's an automatic win.
2. It gives our backups a guaranteed chance to play and get their feet wet.
3. We are helping athletic departments around us in NC and SC fund a lot of their athletic programs and teams.

Nobody knows shit about App state if they don't actively seek it out, especially outside of North Carolina, as a football fan they know they beat Michigan like a decade ago.

Some of us grew up in NC and still live here. We know tons of ASU grads. What percentage of WFU's student body is from NC? Back in the day, it was 35%.

To me, this article seems like it's trying to sell me something.

Now I'm not a native Carolinian so my take is different. Playing App is dangerous to me. There's nothing to gain and a lot to lose. Despite the now distant and fading memory of Michigan, I doubt most folks beyond 300 miles of the border could tell you where App is located. Maybe that'll change gradually over time like how long it took Boise State or Rutgers or East Carolina - about 25-30 years - to become 'known'.

As far as 'in state' rivalries....thought that was covered with UNC, State and Duke....with few if any other states having such a profile.

Anyway, we'll see if we roll the quad after this one.

I have no idea what you're talking about wrt this game getting a lot of buzz this week in NC. Wake fans I know are more interested in talking about basketball recruiting than this football game. Anyone Wake fan I've brought it up to just shakes their head like "WTF are we doing ?"

Thanks for making my point. As long as your point of reference is just Wake fans, who for the most part are alumni, you'll miss out entirely what will be one heck of an atmosphere for our (true) fans, players and coaches, as well as college football fans all over this state that love intriguing Saturday match-ups. If you want to talk basketball recruiting in the middle of football season, grab you some season tickets to Kenan stadium; just be sure to chat up the folks around you before they bail at half-time.

The football team has always been like some kind of renegade biker gang that would take a ton of noon-qualifiers and Wake's castoffs and flunkies, who would then talk shit about Wake (Orlebar). They've always been a bunch of overmatched shittalkers willing to take it out on their superior opponents' knees, evidenced again by the first quarter of their first game of the year when they took out a 5-star sophomore quarterback on their way to falling behind 31-0 to a 4-star freshman quarterback.

And Armanti Edwards sucks. I know it's not his fault, but he took a valuable draft pick from the Panthers.

Thanks for making my point. As long as your point of reference is just Wake fans, who for the most part are alumni, you'll miss out entirely what will be one heck of an atmosphere for our (true) fans, players and coaches, as well as college football fans all over this state that love intriguing Saturday match-ups. If you want to talk basketball recruiting in the middle of football season, grab you some season tickets to Kenan stadium; just be sure to chat up the folks around you before they bail at half-time.

Okay, other football fans I talk to can't believe we're playing up there either, but the only reason they know is because I told them.

Now that Appy State is an FBS program with a solid reputation, I can see the wisdom in playing them from time to time. I would prefer not traveling to Boone to play them though. I wouldn't mind seeing ECU back on the schedule either.

I don't believe we should ever schedule an FCS school. Those games do not make us better and they are a waste of time. We're better off having an intrasquad scrimmage that Saturday. I'm certainly not showing up in person to watch us beat Presby or Elon 70-0 and definitely not on a Thursday night.

So, practically every other FBS can schedule a FCS school and get that win that counts toward bowl eligibility, but we shouldn't? Never have understood that thinking. Now, if you want to say it should be a policy that FBS teams can't play FCS teams, then that's a different story.

To me, this article seems like it's trying to sell me something.

Now I'm not a native Carolinian so my take is different. Playing App is dangerous to me. There's nothing to gain and a lot to lose. Despite the now distant and fading memory of Michigan, I doubt most folks beyond 300 miles of the border could tell you where App is located. Maybe that'll change gradually over time like how long it took Boise State or Rutgers or East Carolina - about 25-30 years - to become 'known'.

As far as 'in state' rivalries....thought that was covered with UNC, State and Duke....with few if any other states having such a profile.

Anyway, we'll see if we roll the quad after this one.

IIRC we had about 22K for our last game vs. Duke, and maybe 25-27K vs. NCSU; don't recall vs. UNC. We've been "rivals" with those guys for over 100 years and still can't sell the place out; maybe time to broaden our horizons a bit.

Okay, other football fans I talk to can't believe we're playing up there either, but the only reason they know is because I told them.

Oh but it's true; heard it on the radio and saw it on the internetz

IIRC we had about 22K for our last game vs. Duke, and maybe 25-27K vs. NCSU; don't recall vs. UNC. We've been "rivals" with those guys for over 100 years and still can't sell the place out; maybe time to broaden our horizons a bit.

There's a difference between broadening your horizons and fishing in the sewer.

So, if I may, you're saying that if this game was in W-S it would draw 30,000+?

I don't know any App state grads because 1. I don't live in North Carolina 2. More importantly don't really associate with people that essentially didn't go to college.

Not saying that I'm younger than most people on here but.......the notion that going to AppState isn't equivalent to college doesn't really exist anymore among people 30 and younger. Maybe it did 20 years ago, but I don't agree with this statement.

I like this game. It's by far more intriguing than the other non-conference games on our schedule. If we don't win, we aren't as good as we'd like to think we are. I feel good about it though.

I'd love to be playing the other small, private, high academic schools that we've had series with in the past like Vandy, Stanford, Northwestern, etc. Those are the games that will distinguish our brand too.

Duke has gotten a lot more attention than us by beating both NW and Baylor this year and will continue to even if we beat this hick school in the mountains.

What does your ideal 4 game OOC schedule look like?

I am fine with playing an FCS team for the following reasons:

1. It's an automatic win.
2. It gives our backups a guaranteed chance to play and get their feet wet.
3. We are helping athletic departments around us in NC and SC fund a lot of their athletic programs and teams.

My ideal out of conference schedule would be something like UAB, Georgia, Vanderbilt and Appy State/ ECU. All of these opponents are FBS opponents in areas where we recruit heavily. We have a better than average chance of winning these games. They are at least somewhat challenging so the team would be better prepared for conference play. I would actually want to watch these games in person and these games might actually be televised to give us more exposure.

Who cares about subsidizing the Elons and Presbyterian Colleges of the world?

My ideal out of conference schedule would be something like UAB, Georgia, Vanderbilt and Appy State/ ECU. All of these opponents are FBS opponents in areas where we recruit heavily. We have a better than average chance of winning these games. They are at least somewhat challenging so the team would be better prepared for conference play. I would actually want to watch these games in person and these games might actually be televised to give us more exposure.

Who cares about subsidizing the Elons and Presbyterian Colleges of the world?

You want to play school that didn't even field a team in 2016 but fret about playing Presbyterian ? And how many players do we get from Alabama anyway ?

Also, based on that schedule, we would have had to win three out of those four games to make a bowl last year.

Back