• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Are Clawson and Ed Hardin right? Wake Football needs ASU series?

So, if I may, you're saying that if this game was in W-S it would draw 30,000+?

Based on attendance during the last season we played APP (1998), yes:

Schedule[edit]

Date

Time

Opponent

Site

TV

Result

Attendance

September 5 1:00 PM at Air Force* Falcon Stadium • Colorado Springs, CO ESPN2 L 0–42 47,972
September 10 8:00 PM Navy* Groves Stadium • Winston-Salem, NC ESPN W 26–14 26,032
September 26 12:00 PM at Clemson Memorial Stadium • Clemson, SC ABC W 29–19 61,632
October 3 6:30 PM Appalachian State* Groves Stadium • Winston-Salem, NC L 27–30 OT 26,885
October 10 6:30 PM Duke Groves Stadium • Winston-Salem, NC L 16–19 22,037
October 17 1:00 PM at Maryland Byrd Stadium • College Park, MD W 20–10 23,419
October 24 12:00 PM North Carolina Groves Stadium • Winston-Salem, NC JPS L 31–38 25,841
October 31 3:30 PM No. 15 Virginia Groves Stadium • Winston-Salem, NC ABC L 17–38 22,718
November 7 12:00 PM at NC State Carter–Finley Stadium • Raleigh, NC JPS L 27–38 51,500
November 14 5:00 PM No. 5 Florida State Groves Stadium • Winston-Salem, NC ESPN2 L 7-24 19,193
November 21 1:00 PM at No. 21 Georgia Tech Bobby Dodd Stadium • Atlanta, GA L 35–63 40,110

I'd be fine with playing all FBS teams as long as every other FBS school had to do the same. Since they don't and most do schedule the one FCS school to get an almost guaranteed win toward bowl eligibility, why should we play by a different set of rules?

Some of the statements on the boards this week about App State the institution are outright embarrassing. App State is a perfectly good school and lots of fine people who go on to have successful lives go there, including several regular posters. I consider myself a reasonably successful professional and I know and associate with plenty of them. Nice folks who are proud of their alma mater (much like Wake, not many bandwagoners). Quit acting like a bunch of Duke fans.

As for the game, I was very much against the series back when App State was a I-AA school (plus we lost to them on my wedding day). Now that they're FBS I am very much in favor of it. It will be a great crowd, a great atmosphere and is close enough that any fan that wants to can attend. Same reason I am in favor of renewing the ECU series.

I know plenty of people who went to app state. Most are successful adults.

Probably the best state school after unc and ncsu

App State is actually a pretty good school.

0376_highlight-512592969a584.jpeg

Playing ASU makes much more sense than scheduling Liberty. Having Old Dominion on the schedule is good for recruiting the 757. I don't think many alums get excited over the prospect of bi-annual trips to Greenville. Maybe taking on Marshall in Huntington is someone's idea of a good idea, but that's bound to be a distinct minority view. If there is going to be a non-Power 5 game, the Apps should be it.

I like the games with App State because it's a fun game day atmosphere. At the end of the day, for me, that's what college football as a Wake Forest fan is all about, as opposed to folks who really give a shit about jeopardizing our chances of going to the Sheinhardt Wig Company Bowl in Detroit on Christmas Eve.

And trash the parking and impregnate all the stray dogs.

As long as we beat them senseless every time I don't care how often we schedule them.

Seems like the pro-ASU-game sentiment is all about fan interest and the North Carolina circle. Who cares if Groves is half full if the team on the field beats a power 5 school? Who cares if people in NC aren't as interested in Wake playing more prominent programs vs. other whack-ass NC schools?

I like the games with App State because it's a fun game day atmosphere. At the end of the day, for me, that's what college football as a Wake Forest fan is all about, as opposed to folks who really give a shit about jeopardizing our chances of going to the Sheinhardt Wig Company Bowl in Detroit on Christmas Eve.

So, so, so much this.

I'll take an exciting non-conf road trip any day over playing in some shitty third-rate bowl. Most coaches wouldn't say the same, which is why I like Clawson's boldness here

Some of the statements on the boards this week about App State the institution are outright embarrassing. App State is a perfectly good school and lots of fine people who go on to have successful lives go there, including several regular posters. I consider myself a reasonably successful professional and I know and associate with plenty of them. Nice folks who are proud of their alma mater (much like Wake, not many bandwagoners). Quit acting like a bunch of Duke fans.

As for the game, I was very much against the series back when App State was a I-AA school (plus we lost to them on my wedding day). Now that they're FBS I am very much in favor of it. It will be a great crowd, a great atmosphere and is close enough that any fan that wants to can attend. Same reason I am in favor of renewing the ECU series.

Great post, and agree 100% with one modification (won't say exception), b/c you're right that APP doesn't have many bandwagon fans. Props to Boone however on game days, b/c the whole town (admittedly which in many ways is APP) the town goes all-in. First game we went to everyone/every place is decked out in APP colors and/or gear: hotel staff had on jerseys, and seems every store had banners out front and other stuff on the inside. In Winston meanwhile if you get a half mile from the stadium you wouldn't know there's a game in town. And not knocking Winston per se; same thing for Duke/Durham and NCSU/Raleigh where there are lots of competing loyalties and the town is not so closely identified with the university. But regardless it makes for a neat atmosphere; for any first-timers on Saturday you'll both be impressed and a little envious.

Seems like the pro-ASU-game sentiment is all about fan interest and the North Carolina circle. Who cares if Groves is half full if the team on the field beats a power 5 school? Who cares if people in NC aren't as interested in Wake playing more prominent programs vs. other whack-ass NC schools?

I dunno; the players maybe?

So, so, so much this.

I'll take an exciting non-conf road trip any day over playing in some shitty third-rate bowl. Most coaches wouldn't say the same, which is why I like Clawson's boldness here

If we are just looking at the game itself then I agree.

However, it's not in a vacuum. If you make a bowl game then you get 15 extra practices (ask the coaches if they think the Temple prep and game helped this year), you can flaunt it in recruiting, you can show players the swag you get by making it, and take a trip to some cool places around Christmas time.

There's probably not a hard-and-fast rule one way or the other. Last year's schedule came in handy as we were still building from a very low point and making a bowl, any bowl (and winning) did a lot of good for the program.

But as the program continues to improve I think there's less of a need to gear everything around just getting to six wins. There should be confidence we're going to get there regardless if we trade one cupcake for a challenging non-conference game that's fun for the fans and players.

We're Wake Forest so we're going to get sent to the shittiest bowl possible anyway, so changing one easy game for a harder one only really matters if it turns a 6-6 season into a 5-7 one. Hopefully we're good enough that we're moving past such concerns

If we can't beat App State, we probably aren't minor bowl worthy anyway.

Back