• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Athletic department direction

Come on, Ph -- you have to make this relative to our historical performance. Relative to Wake's history in college football, Wellman has ushered in unprecedented success. Bowl games, an ACC title/Orange Bowl, years of being consistently competitive (you'vealreadyforgottenaboutlastyearIhope) . . . obviously the answer is A but the answer has been A, for the most part, since 1888.

Which of the following statements is more true about Wake football in Wellman's tenure?

Wake football has been down for a few years

or

Wake football was up for a few years

Which of the following statements is more true about Wake football in Wellman's tenure?

Wake football has been down for a few years

or

Wake football was up for a few years

I was speaking in generalities. You obviously know that people wouldn't be talking about this if we didn't have disasterous years in both revenue sports last year.

Look, I know we sucked with Caldwell. Wellman bombed that hire. But he hit the next football hire out of the park. HE and Grobe have raised the ceiling AND the floor of Wake football. Our floor is now 4 wins. A lot better than 0 or 1. So compared to Wake's history, we are still up even in Grobe's bad years. In his good years, we are WAY up.

I was speaking in generalities. You obviously know that people wouldn't be talking about this if we didn't have disasterous years in both revenue sports last year.

Look, I know we sucked with Caldwell. Wellman bombed that hire. But he hit the next football hire out of the park. HE and Grobe have raised the ceiling AND the floor of Wake football. Our floor is now 4 wins. A lot better than 0 or 1. So compared to Wake's history, we are still up even in Grobe's bad years. In his good years, we are WAY up.

Wouldn't it be 3?

Let's see how things unfold in the coming months before calling our first witness. Wellman also ran George Greer out of town. The same baseball coach who won three ACC championships. He also hired Jeff [Redacted]. Might want to see how things unfold beyond The Today Show drama. As for "hitting" the football hire. Let's remember that Riley Skinner was running 3rd string coming into the Syracuse game. Not saying Grobe is not a good coach for Wake but I believe balance is in order when assessing Wellman's success.

You have no idea what goes on in an athletic dept or what an AD job constitutes. Keep posting though because I would love to hear your other inane thoughts on why we should out someone who is arguably the best AD in the country and has given his career to WFU.

I'm sure nobody outside Wake today feels that Ron Wellman is the best AD in the country.

Don't kid yourself.

I think Wellman has a great track record with facilities, but his track record with hires is kind of hit and miss.

Wellman also ran George Greer out of town. The same baseball coach who won three ACC championships.

Greer did indeed win three ACC Championships with Bobby Moranda as an assistant coach. Check out his record in the years where he DIDN'T have Moranda on staff.

Not saying Greer is not a good coach for Wake but I believe balance is in order when assessing Greer's success

I'm glad to see that you agree with a balanced approach.

Greer did indeed win three ACC Championships with Bobby Moranda as an assistant coach. Check out his record in the years where he DIDN'T have Moranda on staff.

Not saying Greer is not a good coach for Wake but I believe balance is in order when assessing Greer's success

This could easily be seen in the future:

Riley Skinner : Jim Grobe :: Phillip Rivers : Chuck Amato

Obviously, Grobe is much classier as a person, but the success of both relates to elite talents at QB for 4 years.

Oh, and I really like Coach Grobe. I'm not saying that WILL happen, but if we don't improve that I could see the comparison being made.

If you can expand this analogy to include Curry and Phonz, I'm 100% on board with this post. I agree with what you're saying. Skinner made Lobo look like a genius. And I thought that was humanly impossible.

This could easily be seen in the future:

Riley Skinner : Jim Grobe :: Phillip Rivers : Chuck Amato

Obviously, Grobe is much classier as a person, but the success of both relates to elite talents at QB for 4 years.

I'm sure nobody outside Wake today feels that Ron Wellman is the best AD in the country.

Don't kid yourself.

I happen to know an assistant athletic director at another ACC school who has said the Ron Wellman is either the best AD in the country or one of the very elite ADs in the nation.

What were the criteria upon which this assertion was based?

I happen to know an assistant athletic director at another ACC school who has said the Ron Wellman is either the best AD in the country or one of the very elite ADs in the nation.

That is a qualified statement at best. It is certainly within the realm of possibility that he said something, thought again, and then qualified it.

This also assumes this friend exists and he is indeed an Asst AD at another ACC school. Not calling you a liar, because I don't know, but I have no reason to just believe you because you say it.

I'm just a natural cynic. Don't hold that against me!

hahahaha

Just saw this tag: dv7 = #1 drama queen,

Very funny.

Skinner and Swank fooled people into thinking we had a decent offense for four years. Low turnovers and three points is safe, but it's not a good offense and it's tough to duplicate without that type of specific personnel or a defense that can win games with so little help from the offense.

Back