• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Baltimore's deadliest month in 15 years: May counts 35 homicides, so far

SkinsNDeacs

Reaction score
This seems like it needs its own thread

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/26/us/baltimore-deadliest-month-violence-since-1999/

The latest homicide statistics arrive amid reports that Baltimore police officers have lost confidence in the chain of command and that officers have coordinated a work slowdown by not talking to community members and showing less initiative. The drops in arrests and increase in murders are the result of officers refusing to follow their marching orders, according to one Baltimore officer who spoke with CNN.

This is not good. The police department needs to make an example out of a few guys and hope this stuff ends right away. There was, what was reported to be a Baltimore Police Officer in disguise on Fox News last night admitting that this was a coordinated effort. I would do everything in my power to find out who that guy is and fire him. Loudly and publicly.

What did you think would happen? Can't imagine why any cop would put themselves in a dangerous situation now. There is a real chance that good cops acting in completely appropriate ways will be scapegoated if the community protests. That is not to say that there haven't been bad cops committing crimes that should be punished, but the current climate puts good cops at great risk.

So it's ok for police not to the dangerous jobs they get lauded for doing because the jobs are dangerous?

What did you think would happen? Can't imagine why any cop would put themselves in a dangerous situation now. There is a real chance that good cops acting in completely appropriate ways will be scapegoated if the community protests. That is not to say that there haven't been bad cops committing crimes that should be punished, but the current climate puts good cops at great risk.

If any cop has that mind set they should turn in their badge and gun immediately. No doubt it is a hard job but that is the job discretion...if they can't handle it they shouldn't be a cop.

So it's ok for police not to the dangerous jobs they get lauded for doing because the jobs are dangerous?

How is what they are doing different from what any other union does? It is concerted effort to slow things down to emphasize their own importance and increase their value via a "we'll show you what happens if we're not here" approach. Teachers, sanitation, and airline unions do it all the time. Collective bargaining at its finest, eh? Power to the workers.

Same thing was going on in NYC when the shite between De Blasio and the police union was going on. But I'm with Ph and S&D. Sure, the Balmur prosecutor may have over-charged too many folks, though I suspect the less culpable will likely get weeded out (and maybe flip). And sure, De Blasio may be a horse's ass. But we've all worked for jerks before. That don't mean you don't do your job. Well, I guess unless you work for a unionized police force.

Let me get this straight...because it is a hard job they can chose not to do it?

ETA: I don't expect you to answer...you never seem to answer questions.

I don't want to be a cop so I'm not a cop. If they don't want to be cops, they shouldn't be cops either. It's simple.

Public employees shouldn't be allowed to unionize.

I have no doubt that being a police officer in Baltimore sucks, but if you are intentionally putting the public at risk because of a pissing match you don't deserve to be a cop.

I can't imagine wanting to be a police officer in Baltimore in this climate. I would imagine everyone that can is trying to find a position in another city. You are in a complete no win scenario.

Regardless of the intentions of individual police, crime will likely go up in Baltimore. Why would you do more than the minimum when just about any confrontation has the potential to become a front page trial with tons of Monday morning quarterbacks analyzing every decision you make. Better part of wisdom to avoid a situation that could get ugly if you can.

If charges had been limited to 1 or 2 officers, it may have been viewed as trying to weed out the bad apples. Charging all 6 officers comes across as more of an attack on police officers in general.

So should teachers who participate in work-related protests not be teachers?

I haven't heard of teachers similarly participating in such work related slowdowns, but yeah, they should do their jobs like the rest of us, as should Balmur and NYC cops. I'm not a big fan of public sector unions and tend to mostly side with business over labor. But I find it interesting that police unions are the 1 type of union that is apparently cool with some social conservatives (like my dad, who is irate over the number of cops charged in the Freddie Gray case).

There is a mostly unnoticed aspect of police unions, though, that most folks don't know about. Here in central VA, the police are unionized, however not for purposes of collective bargaining. Cops get sued all the time for excessive force and the like. And when a plaintiff sues the dept and the cop, the 1st thing the dept tries to do is sever it and maintain they did nothing wrong. And they certainly don't provide counsel for the cop being sued. So your average cop on the beat is making $40-50K/yr, and they have to pay for their own defenses (and they win the vast majority of the time - a lot of those cases are pretty flimsy). So by being part of the union here, they help out with the cost of your defense when you get sued. I also have a friend who has represented cops in a handful of these cases, and she usually reduces her bill knowing how burdensome these suits can be on low level cops.

I've answered far more questions than I've had questions answered on these boards. In this case, though, 2&2 has already answered it for you.

I didn't ask 2&2...I asked you. If you are unwilling to answer a direct question so be it.

I haven't heard of teachers similarly participating in such work related slowdowns, but yeah, they should do their jobs like the rest of us, as should Balmur and NYC cops. I'm not a big fan of public sector unions and tend to mostly side with business over labor. But I find it interesting that police unions are the 1 type of union that is apparently cool with some social conservatives (like my dad, who is irate over the number of cops charged in the Freddie Gray case).

Teachers Unions across the country walk out on basically a daily basis. Here is an article on statewide walkouts in Washington from just yesterday.
http://www.kingstoncommunitynews.com/news/305038291.html

39 construction supply. I refuse to participate further until you answer my simple question.

Back