• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Baltimore's deadliest month in 15 years: May counts 35 homicides, so far

Would you?

Sure. There are a lot of nice places to live in Balmur, and plenty of so-so places, and plenty of places I wouldn't live. The 2 main large areas I'd avoid would be the west side (Barksdale territory for Wire watchers) and the middle east side (Prop Joe territory).

Why should the cops continue to put themselves in harms way as far as violent crime is concerned? Seems like the risk of being prosecuted for trying to do their jobs is a burden the good cops don't want to bear.

Sure. There are a lot of nice places to live in Balmur, and plenty of so-so places, and plenty of places I wouldn't live. The 2 main large areas I'd avoid would be the west side (Barksdale territory for Wire watchers) and the middle east side (Prop Joe territory).

So Baltimore is a city.

Why should the cops continue to put themselves in harms way as far as violent crime is concerned?

Because it's their job. If they don't want to do their job, they can quit their job.

So Baltimore is a city.

Pretty much. Like StL, Philly, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and other rust belt cities that are trying to reinvent themselves after losing major industries. Pittsburgh got the earliest start and seems to be in the best shape of rust belt cities.

Because, again for about the 5th time that nobody has addressed, public sector employees protest their job conditions on a daily basis.

Cville addressed it and it is totally separate issue (and one I would probably agree with you on). But just because your job is dangerous it does not give you permission to not do it.

The police have a right to take action which they may deem necessary in order to facilitate better support from the public so that they may be able to more effectively do the job required of them in a highly dangerous situation.

As I have said many times, the police are not the problem. The criminals and criminal activity is the problem. Some of you do not seem to be able to understand that simple fact. It is in this light that any slowdown of police activity can better bring this to your attention. If you and others are truly concerned about the "public being at risk" you should be supporting the police, rather than making alibis for and defending criminal behavior....which is really what is placing the public at risk. Actually, you are admitting as much by complaining about the police "not doing their jobs".

So to clarify...you think it is acceptable for a police officer to refuse to do a critical part of their job that puts human lives at risk to gain public support. That is a position that I (and likely not many others) can not agree with.

Cville addressed it and it is totally separate issue (and one I would probably agree with you on). But just because your job is dangerous it does not give you permission to not do it.

Sure it does, slavery was abolished 150 years ago. If the employer does not like how an employee is doing a particular aspect of his/her job, then the employer has every right to fire them (subject to Union agreements, of course). So, in this case, the City of Baltimore is free to fire its entire police department.

So to clarify...you think it is acceptable for a police officer to refuse to do a critical part of their job that puts human lives at risk to gain public support. That is a position that I (and likely not many others) can not agree with.

The police officer isn't putting human lives at risk (Freddie Gray excluded). The criminals are doing that.

Police work is difficult and dangerous, but no more so than a host of other industries, and you never hear fishermen, loggers, roofers, etc referred to as heroes. And there is at least a tiny bit of irony that the same crowd arguing, "Don't commit any crimes and you'll have nothing to worry about!" to the protesters is worried that good cops will get in trouble just for doing their jobs.

Interesting. Apparently, bkf has joined 2&2 and jhmd in siding with the police unions here. Strange bedfellows indeed.

So is the Baltimore police force dissatisfied with the legal system in general, or just in this case? Would they be protesting if no one had been charged in Freddie Gray's death? Where is the line where Baltimore cops hold themselves to legal accountability?

The fact that the BPD will execute a slowdown because some of their members will have to go through the same legal process as the people they arrest seems to demonstrate the extent to which they are not used to being held accountable for any potential wrongdoing. The officers will get their trial, and juries (or, as of late, judges) tend to be cop-friendly. You know the whole "rather be judged by 12 than carried by six?" This is the judged by 12 part! (Somehow not as petty as the NYPD, though, I'll give them that.)

Also, I lived in Otterbein in Baltimore one summer. Very cute area, and within walking distance of the harbor, Camden Yards, and plenty of bars. Everyone should live there.

Also, I lived in Otterbein in Baltimore one summer. Very cute area, and within walking distance of the harbor, Camden Yards, and plenty of bars. Everyone should live there.

Hi almost neighbor

Back