• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

Here are some snippets of a Scout article which sums up JJ's recruitment:

Most kids would love to have his athleticism, explosion and shooting abilities. Plus, the guy has a body to do for at his position. This is a guy who should finish up ranked somewhere in the Scout.com Top 100. He’s that talented.

Before Nike Camp began, Wyoming, Washington State, Cincinnati, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Bradley, Wichita State and Gonzaga knew about him.

And now? “Let’s start with Tennessee, Baylor, Virginia, Cincinnati, Wyoming, Wake Forest, Boston College and Kansas,” Willie Johnson said. Dad cautioned that there are more and he simply can’t recall all the interested parties. “There’s so many and my cell phone is so full of messages. I have to keep erasing them just so I can read my messages.”

So yeah...he was a big time sleeper.

tau is right. He was a sleeper the summer before his junior year, but everyone knew about him afterwards -- he ended up #43 on RSCI. In hindsight, he was still underranked by a bit, but the class of 2007 was just ridiculously strong.

He’s the kind of guy you have to be careful around because his hands are a little more lethal than your average small forwards. These expertly trained hands could end your life.

“Pretty fast, in like 5 seconds,” Johnson kidded.

Did we say he’d be Top 100? Make that Top 50!

Beast

You've changed your tune considerably. It seems like just a few months ago your concern was "How will we ever compete in the ACC without 5* talent???!" I'm glad you've come down from that ledge. Contending for championships comes later, but we need to get back to being productive at this level first. Success on the court will (hopefully) translate into success on the recruiting trail.

Indeed... From November....

"UVa and VaT will jump FSU. Clemson and BC might be at the bottom. I would like to hear your argument on how we jump over NCSt, Miami or even GaT."

"The 2012 class doesn't project to get us in the top half of the league anytime soon."

"I am impressed Maryland is not standing pat and accepting a bottom three or four position in the ACC."

In other words, he has us third to last in the ACC next year above Clemson and BC only. I mean, it could happen, but now we're tracking to be even with half the league? Things are looking up I guess. Weird considering our recruiting rankings have only gone down since then. Of course, from a recruiting standpoint this team has no business winning more games than last year's team.

I expect this class to help us be ahead of BC, Clemson, VT, GT and Miami next year. I can't say anything about F$U. Since SamIam I've been consistently wrong about them.

We will compete wiuth UVA. I'm not sure about State. Naryland is going to be big with Cleare and Len.

deaclite is just a little.... sensationalist when it comes to recruiting. We'll be fine. We're bringing in talent on par with the bulk of the ACC. Of all things to be worried about right now, recruiting is not one of them.

I never said anything about having to get 5 star players. Yes , I have raised my forecast on next season from 9th to 7th place because of the weakness of the bulk of ACC teams and because Travis and CJ should both be All-Acc next season. The recruiting class is more quanity than quality and we need both.

I never said anything about having to get 5 star players. Yes , I have raised my forecast on next season from 9th to 7th place because of the weakness of the bulk of ACC teams and because Travis and CJ should both be All-Acc next season. The recruiting class is more quanity than quality and we need both.

Guess we just inferred that you wanted 5 star players...

"He will have to bring in 2 top fifty players in 2013 in order to get back toward the top."

"It is good that we have likely 2 or 3 Acc level players in the 2012 class."

"Coach Bz has 5 commits that appear to be role players. We need a post player with muscle and some star power."

"If we are shooting to be middle of the conference, I suppose that is possible if we upgrade at the 4 and 5. Still we need much more star power to get close to the top of the ACC."

I'm honored by all the attention. After Unc and Duke take their 5 stars the ones left often have handlers involved that makes it problematic for us. Therefore, we have to be great talent scouts if we want to compete with the big boys.

deaclite is just a little.... sensationalist when it comes to recruiting. We'll be fine. We're bringing in talent on par with the bulk of the ACC. Of all things to be worried about right now, recruiting is not one of them.

I agree with this. Bzz has brought a very solid class into a weak ACC with enough quality raw talent to compete, if he can teach em up, develop them, and be the floor coach Wellman thinks him to be. We will see and see fairly quickly. I have my doubts, but Bzzz almost guaranteed two more years and I really hope he is the right guy so we can get pumped up as fans quickly as well.

As much as DC would like to make this about my radical recruiting ideas the reality is ESPN dropped our guys down across the board with AWashington now being a 2 star. If they are right then recruiting is not the least of our problems at all.

Buzz has two players playing as Rookies in the NBA right now that he recruited to Colorado, both of which were 2 and 3 star players when recruited. Identifying talent is not one of Buzz' problems.

Steve, speaking of Colorado they have a top35 big man and a top 65 kid from Cali. Sounds like the post Bz recruiting is going pretty well for them.

Steve, speaking of Colorado they have a top35 big man and a top 65 kid from Cali. Sounds like the post Bz recruiting is going pretty well for them.

I wonder if moving to the Pac12 has enhanced Colorado's recruiting?

Could be,they are 5-2 coming off wins against ASU and AZ- not bad.

Putting two guys into the NBA does that for a school. Plus isn't one of the guys from CO?

rj, this back and forth gets tiresome and unproductive so I'm out of here.

Jairus Lyles highlights

He's the 2013 PG/SG from Dematha who loves Wake. I can't see us taking a kid that's only 6', but we'll see. On Scout he's a 4*, #100 overall, #22 SG. From an article last week:

Jairus Lyles said:
“So far the main schools are Wake Forest, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina State, Towson, Seton Hall, and Oklahoma State,” said Lyles. “Oklahoma State has offered me a scholarship.”

rj, this back and forth gets tiresome and unproductive so I'm out of here.

What's negative about what I said?

Don't schools that do well or put peopel into the NBA get more players?

There's nothing combative about what I said.

Back