• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

Class rank moved from 15 to 19. CMM down to 79 and Moto all the way down to 100. Somewhat disappointing.

New ESPN 2012 rankings are out. Overall, seems like they are not impressing the judges.

Wish they could have moved up, but ultimately they're the same players they were yesterday. One positive thing I noticed is that ESPN seems pretty confident that CMM can play point guard. They also still have Devin Thomas at 6'7, 225 so maybe they didn't actually look at all our players, so players who got more attention may have jumped our recruits in the rankings.

Telep saw Moto about a month ago in DC for a two day tournament. He had a bad first day and a great 2nd day and wrote a piece on him. Moved him down 25 spots.

Codi is the 17th highest ranked ACC recruit with other higher ranked ones still possible for our competitors. Also, there is only one ACC impact true freshman in A.Rivers this season, so I try to stay grounded on how we project ahead for next season.

Codi is the 17th highest ranked ACC recruit with other higher ranked ones still possible for our competitors. Also, there is only one ACC impact true freshman in A.Rivers this season, so I try to stay grounded on how we project ahead for next season.

Of the bottom ACC teams, we have the best recruiting class, and we are probably the 10th best team in the ACC right now. With the infusion of depth, talent, and size we should at least improve to 7th/8th in the ACC next year and an NIT bid. Whether that's satisfactory improvement is sadly debatable.

Last edited:
It feels like ESPN has consistently rated Wake recruits lower than other rating services through the years... Maybe not for every recruit but I have the impression that our guys are typically rated higher by other folks.

Is my impression correct?

I tend to give ESPN more credence since D.Telep is with them. Rivals hasn't even had our class in their Top 25 classes while Scout and PrepStars have been higher. I agree on that 7th seems reasonable for next season, everybody will be pretty even.

It feels like ESPN has consistently rated Wake recruits lower than other rating services through the years... Maybe not for every recruit but I have the impression that our guys are typically rated higher by other folks.

Is my impression correct?

Not if you're trying to discredit the current rankings by it. Dave Telep joined ESPN in 2009ish, so their current rankings are essentially the Scout rankings from that point forward.

Not if you're trying to discredit the current rankings by it. Dave Telep joined ESPN in 2009ish, so their current rankings are essentially the Scout rankings from that point forward.

I wasn't really trying to discredit them, just trying to remember the reality of the situation... I think you are right and that things have changed since Telep joined them - pre-Telep I believe they tended to under-rate our guys relative to the other services, for whatever reason.

CMM is tracking almost exactly like Teague did. Bouncing around 60-80 ESPN rankings, 12th-15th by position.

Teague finished 2nd in scoring and started 20+ games as a freshman despite having Ish in front of him at point.

Getting worked up about CMM's exact ranking number or trying to hypothesize how much he'll contribute based on a rise or fall of 10 spots is ridiculous.

If this class is the impact class we need, they will generally have to exceed their current national expectations.

Lets hope it happens.

J.Teague grew from a scrawny 5.11 165 to an athletic 6.2. Codi all ready has that size.

J.Teague grew from a scrawny 5.11 165 to an athletic 6.2. Codi all ready has that size.

The ESPN rankings had Jeff Teague listed at 6'1 175lbs, CMM is 6'2 180 lbs.

What's your point anyway? That Teague had more upside?

And a class that hovers around 15 to 20 typically isn't an impact class.

This class has three consensus players towards the bottom of the top 100, and we hope that we really have three top 25-50 players in this class.

A class in the 15-20 range is an impact class. this is especially true for a team that has little depth and not as much talent as other teams.

How many teams make The Dance again?

Is it more than 15-20?

Back