• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

No, my point is Codi is a solid top 100 prospect whether he is more than that is yet to be determined and we should let him get to campus before increasing expectations about him being another Jeff Teague.

What's interesting is Scout has us one slot above Kansas who has Andrew White and pery Ellis in their five man class.

No, my point is Codi is a solid top 100 prospect whether he is more than that is yet to be determined and we should let him get to campus before increasing expectations about him being another Jeff Teague.

Well, I agree with that 100%. I'm just saying when you look historically at teams, particularly bad teams, that get 3 top 100 level talent guys, they certainly have a significant impact, almost as a rule.

We will probably have a couple of guys who exceed expectations and a couple will not be productive at this level. The ACC will be very mediocre again next season and we will have achieved parity with most of the other teams. How do we get to the top tier and contend for championships? I just don't see it happening.

We will probably have a couple of guys who exceed expectations and a couple will not be productive at this level. The ACC will be very mediocre again next season and we will have achieved parity with most of the other teams. How do we get to the top tier and contend for championships? I just don't see it happening.

In other words, unless we recruit like UNC or Duke you have no faith that [Redacted] can win with anything less than superstar talent.

I mean, join the club, but you might want to get used to it. We're trying to be Butler, not UNC.

And a class that hovers around 15 to 20 typically isn't an impact class.

This class has three consensus players towards the bottom of the top 100, and we hope that we really have three top 25-50 players in this class.

Take a look at the rankings through the years. The guys in the top 25 hit at a hight percentage. The guys from 25-100 hit at close to the same percentage. Lot's of guys in that range are ranked off of one or two viewings. That's why you see guys ranked in the 70's outperform guys in the 30's pretty often. After the creme of the crop it's really a crap shoot. It's pretty mindboggling that CMM would drop in the rankings though, given the season he's having. If he'd have had some ESPN games a la a Tyler Lewis I don't think you would see that drop.

It happens if you hit on the right guys 25-100. Like a James Johnson and a Jeff Teague in the same class. It's not like WF hasn't ever had a kid play over their rankings or anything. It certainly shouldn't be expected but it also shouldn't be written off that it won't happen with this class.

DC, good point I have never believed we could implement a Butler strategy within the ACC and that was before Syracuse and Pitt joined. When did Wake fans get to have input on this approach? Now we are stuck in the middle of the road. Thanks Ron.

James was a very unique case because he grew up in frickin Wyoming so nobody saw him play. Under normal circumstances a player with his size and athletic ability would have been ranked much higher.

You've changed your tune considerably. It seems like just a few months ago your concern was "How will we ever compete in the ACC without 5* talent???!" I'm glad you've come down from that ledge. Contending for championships comes later, but we need to get back to being productive at this level first. Success on the court will (hopefully) translate into success on the recruiting trail.

Mizzou is #2 in the nation - according to Scout they had the #16 class in one of the apst four years and no other class in the Top 25

Cuse has a #7 and #11 class and two unranked

G'town had #8 and #25

UNLV -none in Top 25

Michigan State #17 and #10

James was a very unique case because he grew up in frickin Wyoming so nobody saw him play. Under normal circumstances a player with his size and athletic ability would have been ranked much higher.

If he didn't win the NBPA MVP or whatever it's called that point might stick. He was seen in a setting with elite talent and was still ranked where he was. I mean he was ranked right about top 60 so it wasn't like he was ranked as a 2 star or anything.

Tex, I have been stunned at how bad the ACC has become and that likely gets Coach Bz to year 3 because Travis and CJ are holding up as top ACC players and Ty has replaced Carson as I said would have to happen for us to be competitive. I would like Bz to head back to the NBA and Coach Battle get the top job. I wouldn't have a problem just being pretty good if we have a coach that reflects these higher values in a more meaningful way.

DC, good point I have never believed we could implement a Butler strategy within the ACC and that was before Syracuse and Pitt joined. When did Wake fans get to have input on this approach? Now we are stuck in the middle of the road. Thanks Ron.

Interesting that the first point (recruiting like UNC and Duke) is juxtaposed with a worry about Pitt, as they didn't bring any top 50 talent in Dixon's first 3 years and only 4 (including one that transferred after 10 games) in 9 years.

Jamie Dixon's first 9 recruiting classes by RSCI:
2004 - #81 Keith Benjamin
2005 - #58 Sam Young, #71 Tyrell Biggs, #93 Levance Fields
2006 - #91 Gilbert Brown
2007 - #40 DeJuan Blair
2008 - #85 Nasir Robinson
2009 - #13 Dante Taylor (looking like a Ty-level bust), #87 Talib Zanna
2010 - #67 JJ Moore
2011 - #11 Khem Birch (transferred to UNLV after 10 games), #74 Malcolm Gilbert
2012 - #39 Steven Adams, #64 James Robinson

Last edited:
Don't use James Johnson to justify rankings... he was the exception and pretty much everyone called him out as a huge sleeper by the time he got to Wake.

Don't use James Johnson to justify rankings... he was the exception and pretty much everyone called him out as a huge sleeper by the time he got to Wake.

James was ranked 44 by scout and 62 by rivals in their final rankings. He wasn't a sleeper at all. No one really got a look at him til late though. Once he got some eyes on him, everyone that saw him knew he would be a solid player. They obviously underestimated him just a hair compared to how well he actually turned out.

I'm saying that by the time ACC previews were coming out, almost every expect said JJ was going to be a complete stud. The only knock ever on him was that hardly anyone got a read on him in high school. None of our current recruits fit that same criteria. Maybe Thomas since he seems to be a late bloomer.

In other words, unless we recruit like UNC or Duke you have no faith that [Redacted] can win with anything less than superstar talent.

I mean, join the club, but you might want to get used to it. We're trying to be Butler, not UNC.

Woah, what? That's news to me.

Florida St is on the top tier and contending for the ACC title right now with one 5* (Snaer). Virginia is on the top tier and contenting for the ACC title right now without any 5* recruits.

Also, I think the ACC will be significantly better next season.

Last edited:
If he didn't win the NBPA MVP or whatever it's called that point might stick. He was seen in a setting with elite talent and was still ranked where he was. I mean he was ranked right about top 60 so it wasn't like he was ranked as a 2 star or anything.

The Nike camp where he really hit the scene was mid-July 2006, about two months before the start of his senior season. He committed to Wake about five weeks later. In this day and age he definitely qualifies as a sleeper.

Back