• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

Definitely. We would be fools not to go after McClinton and Gill all-out.

Up to 14th in the new ESPN rankings.

When is the fall/winter signing period? I want to get this class on paper

Agreed, I am happy with that outcome for sure.

It just comes down to Jankovic vs. Cavanaugh. Only time will tell us if we chose the right one.

I'm definitely happy with the results of the class though, assuming Thomas is onboard.

It just comes down to Jankovic vs. Cavanaugh. Only time will tell us if we chose the right one.

I'm definitely happy with the results of the class though, assuming Thomas is onboard.

Has there been an update on that front? Do we know if he's committed, not committed, still interested, not interested at all?

The assumption seems to be that he is in the bag, but hasn't actually said as much. The verbal commit is expected homecoming weekend when he comes on his official visit.

I'm just asking for some perspective here...

In 10 years we've had the following top-ranked (top-25 in position) players:

Chris Paul #1 PG
Al-Farouq Aminu #4 SF
Eric Williams #4 C
Ty Walker #4 C
Jeff Teague #8 PG
Ari Stewart #8 SF
Carson Desrosiers #9 C
James Johnson #9 SF
Tony Woods #10 C
Travis McKie #10 SF
Anthony Gurley #12 SG
Justin Gray #13 PG
Kevin Swinton #13 PF
JT Terrell #15 SG
Jamie Skeen #15 PF
Ish Smith #17 PG
Melvin Tabb #24 PF
Gary Clark #24 SG
Tony Chennault #25 PG
CJ Harris #25 SG
Kyle Visser #25 C

Additionally we recruited the following four star prospects:
Trent Strickland, Richard Joyce

Of these recruited players, everybody outside of CP3 largely underachieved relative to their recruiting ranking*, we lost four players to early-entry, and we lost seven players to transfer or expulsion.

Over this span of time, we've compiled a 174-110 record with a 5-5 record in the NCAA Tournament. We're made the semifinals in the ACC tournament twice and the quarterfinals four times with three first round exits.

Do with this what you will, but this is the context upon which we are basing our assumptions and expectations.

*I'm considering Ty a bust and calling out Big E, especially, and Kyle, to a much lesser extent, for developing so slowly. Furthermore, Teague and JJ, for as good as they were, don't have any ACC or NCAA post-season success to show for it, and don't even get me started on AFA's potential relative to his actual gameplay.

Your summary lacks context. If what you are saying is that Wake will not be able to recruit two or three McD AAs every year like Duke, Carolina and Kentucky, then I agree with you with an asterisk - when Coach K steps down there is an opening for someone to take that spot.

But I take exception with the way you've zipped up recruits. CP3 was an elite recruit yes, but he zipped up the recruiting board from Top 50 player to top 5 player AFTER he accepted a scholly. Ditto for Teague and Johnson. Only Aminu has been a truly elite recruiting win. Every other commit you can basically chalk up to Battle being there early and seeing what few saw.

Big E absolutely fulfilled expectation. He was a dominant college center for two seasons and he had a very good sophomore year despite being undersized and having to figure out how to stay out of foul trouble. Under every definition he met expectations.

The bottom bottom line is that finding elite college players is a crapshoot. You sift through the top 125 players in each class to find guys whom you think can fit with what you got and can do the class work. Some of those guys exceed expectation, some meet them, and some don't put it together.

Looking at the failures and successes in the top 25 programs nationally, nobody and I mean NOBODY has this dialed in. Duke, Carolina - everybody except maybe Kentucky over the last four or five years - prove that it's still an educated guess. If you make too many misses strung together over two classes, even a Duke will struggle until the incoming kids meet or exceed their expectation. Right now, Kentucky has been able to pretty much game the system becaue Calipari is getting one of the top 4 at every position he wants every year year to year. That's the only way it seems you can guarantee elite success.

So, with those facts, Wake can compete at the highest level. But we do not have any wiggle room and when we get an Ari instead of a Josh Howard, or a Walker instead of a Big E, then we are going to struggle. Same can be said for all but about 4 or 5 programs nationally though.

After Thomas commits, we'll move up a few more slots. I'm surprised MD isn't higher with two top big men and a top wing.

I thought E improved a tremendous amout over the years, and that is almost always the case with centers. He lost a lot of baby fat (Skip's "Gravy is not a beverage quote") and put on a ton of muscle. He was about par for the course for 99% of center recruits as freshman. It is tough for most of them to go toe-to-toe in the paint with 21 year olds when they are 18.

I thought CP was almost always a Top 1 or 2 PG.

Jay, CP3 was in the Top 10-15 during his junior year on every service other than ESPN.

I thought E improved a tremendous amout over the years, and that is almost always the case with centers. He lost a lot of baby fat (Skip's "Gravy is not a beverage quote") and put on a ton of muscle. He was about par for the course for 99% of center recruits as freshman. It is tough for most of them to go toe-to-toe in the paint with 21 year olds when they are 18.

I thought CP was almost always a Top 1 or 2 PG.

I think he was top 4, but look at the top PG in the 2012 class - he's the top rated PG but only a 4star recruit which means he's not in the total top 25.

I think pundits and scouts thought that CP3 was too slight to dominate college games and get in the paint and be able to finish. They collectively thought he was going to be a very very good college point guard. There was a reason that UNC was not willing to offer him a scholarship in that they thought they had a better PG already ...

You are simply getting OLD. Your memory is fading.

From his junior year on it was CP3 vs. the legendary Mustafa Shakur as the #1 PG in the country. Both were lock McD AAs in their junior years.

So excited about Moto. I will probably check out a few of his games this year.

With Moto and Thomas, I feel so much better about our physicality as a team.

You are simply getting OLD. Your memory is fading.

From his junior year on it was CP3 vs. the legendary Mustafa Shakur as the #1 PG in the country. Both were lock McD AAs in their junior years.

Probably. He did get a late late UNC offer though and was considered small and "slight" at 6'0" and 160. Everyone saw him as a 4-year college player.

But that aside, I stand by my analysis of recruiting that counters Strickland33. Our successes other than Aminu and I guess Woods over the last 15 years have been because we were there earlier than everybody else. Aminu was really the guy though. Woods came because we had Aminu.

And nobody has a crystal ball and can guarantee a kid is a sure thing. Duke had a string of failed big men there for a while and they're record suffered because of it. UNC has had failures. Only Kentucky recently has been able to avoid big mistakes. It seemed about 5 years ago that UCLA couldn't miss with 4-star kids, but their success was the best run by a school with mostly 4--star kids I can remember.

Piss poor luck has had more to do with Wake's struggles of late than anything else imho.

Back