• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

If there's one thing we've learned from this round of recruiting, its that getting on a kid early is absolutely critical.

I hope this pays dividends with those 2014 twins in NC.

Speaking of getting in early, Telep also wrote a blog piece on a 2014 NC PG that we are already taking a look at:

Mitchell loves being the early bird
Monday through Friday, sophomore point guard Sheldon Mitchell (Waxhaw, N.C./Cuthbertson) climbs out of bed like every other high school kid in America. The difference is Mitchell rises with the early birds. “I wake up around 5:40 and I basically get up brush my teeth and grab a Gatorade and head to school,” Mitchell said. “I get there about 6:05 and I shoot and workout until 7:45.”

There are plenty of players working out in the morning, but more than one college coach in the last month commented about the attention to detail and intensity with which Mitchell approaches his workouts. One even caught him working in a back gym in a pre-workout before the actual workout in front of college coaches.

“I try to run up and down a lot and work on one-dribble pull-ups, right-handed floaters and the things I need to stay consistent with,” Mitchell said. “I work on ballhandling and try to use moves I use in games to have it down pat. I want to be as good as I can be. My dad always told me that the ones who work the hardest get the most out of it. I love being in the gym by myself, able to work out and get better.”

Head coaches from Wake Forest, South Carolina and Charlotte laid eyes on him during the period. Assistants repping Clemson, VCU, Virginia Tech and Memphis stopped to check on the 6-foot-2 point man. North Carolina’s 2014 class is laced with talent and Mitchell’s one season away from receiving fitting high-major attention; his time is on the horizon. He’s a little different than most in-state kids who grow up raised on the ACC. Mitchell’s changed allegiances a lot, mainly because of his location. “Growing up in Washington and near Seattle (my dream school) was probably Washington because I was good friends with Venoy Overton and Terrence Ross and I knew Tony Wroten in seventh grade. Now, I don’t really know.”

If my hunch is correct, he’s on the verge of becoming a favorite of a lot of teams.

If there's one thing we've learned from this round of recruiting, its that getting on a kid early is absolutely critical.

Before 2000 you could get by on getting in on a kid mid/late junior year. Now you have to get in late soph year.

Evidently our midnight madness event is this week and we are having an alumni game beforehand. Hopefully Timmy, CP, and JHo will be around.

Evidently our midnight madness event is this week and we are having an alumni game beforehand. Hopefully Timmy, CP, and JHo will be around.

oh-snap.gif

Duncan and Howard will definitely be here this weekend, not sure about cp3.

I think we have the early lead for Mitchell

Yep, sounds like we were the first high major on his trail and probably his 2nd high major offer (looks like USC beat us to that punch). Love what little I have read about him so far. We're also the closest high major to where he lives.

Mitchell seems like a smart, mature kid in that article. Sounds like he would be a good get.

Isn't the night of Oct 14th when a team can officially start the season?

they are my teammates at my high school. Tennessee is all over their nuts

Back